Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Perhaps Mercs Need a Jetboost ability?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Perhaps Mercs Need a Jetboost ability?

Dacer
11.13.2012 , 01:07 AM | #1
I play a marauder and it is true that Mercs - however much I just hate tracer spam - have a harder time with kiting than other ranged class like Sorcs.

So perhaps they should give them a speed boost as well so they can use it like Socs do? - Stun - Runaway.

IDK Thoughts?

Xerain
11.13.2012 , 01:14 AM | #2
Disengage like hunters had but for merc!

Dacer
11.13.2012 , 01:18 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Xerain View Post
Disengage like hunters had but for merc!
Is that a WoW thing?

Never played WoW.

Xerain
11.13.2012 , 01:27 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Dacer View Post
Is that a WoW thing?

Never played WoW.
yeah. it made the hunter like leap backwards... reverse charge?

Macroecon
11.13.2012 , 01:55 AM | #5
I don't think this is the answer. Merc/Commando dps is already lower than any of the preferred dps classes. The only way Merc/Commando can be even semi-viable is if they are shooting ALL the time. Giving them a disengage ability that takes away from the time that they can be shooting at the enemy simply makes them even less effective. Hmmm, with that taken into account, yeah, this is probably what BW will do...

Darth_Acherus
11.13.2012 , 02:10 AM | #6
Merc dps is fine, our issue is kiting. Disengage would be perfect.
Jung Ma - Nariell 50 Sentinel <Alpha Company>
Jung Ma - Alosa 50 Commando <Alpha Company> (Retired)

CommanderKeeva
11.13.2012 , 02:14 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Dacer View Post
I play a marauder and it is true that Mercs - however much I just hate tracer spam - have a harder time with kiting than other ranged class like Sorcs.

So perhaps they should give them a speed boost as well so they can use it like Socs do? - Stun - Runaway.

IDK Thoughts?
It would be a step in the proper direction but it wouldn't solve the problem that interrupting Grav Round/Tracer can effectly shut down your rotation because this AC is too dependant on said skills. Grav/Tracer either needs to have interrupt immunity or activation time reduction. I would go with a talent you can spec into that makes Grav/Tracer immune to interrupts and probably make Full Auto/Unload uninterrubtibe as well. The Knight/Warrior channeled skill, Master Strike, is already uninterruptible, so why not give the same to Full Auto/Unload.

The problem with dps is not so much the theoretical numbers this class can pull if left alone and played to its potential (altough it would never be as high asRage Jugg or Mara dps) but that this class is extremely susceptible to interrupts and if one happens, you're pretty much dead because you can't finish your rotation.

As for dealing with melee, Snipers are immune to Force Leap and Sorcs can Force Speed away, so Commandos would have to have some edge against melee classes. Maybe a 10 or 15 sec cooldown that gives you temporary jump immunity (something like Not One Step Backwards/Hold the Line) or just give them the already existing Rocket Boost with a shorter duration than in PvE, usable in combat of course.

The way I like to play my Commando dps is to stick to the side and back as much as possible and be as inconspicuous as possible (hide behind objects etc,). Then when an enemy group appears, start blasting them while they're fighting each other. It would be nice, however, if I could hold my own against a melee I'm targeting for a few more seconds, then run the hell away.
BEING A GOOD SOLDIER COMES DOWN TO ONE THING, ONE SINGLE QUESTION:
WHAT ARE YOU PREPARED TO SACRIFICE?

Boyana
11.13.2012 , 02:26 AM | #8
I was talking to my friends today explaining it would be nice for Mercs to have an ability where their Jet Pack would be used to gain some speed.
It could work like Force Speed, but it could have a really cool animation where it lifts them off for a couple of centimeters with fire coming out of their Packs. However, they wouldn't be able to use it to get out of the pit to the goal line.

Edit: like this http://i47.tinypic.com/2w57zph.jpg

af_raptura
11.13.2012 , 03:22 AM | #9
Cute picture, I especially like how the merc seems so happy and how you used the same symbol for ground as a person would typically see in circuit schematic diagrams.
PvE theorycrafting has really loosened their standards.
Quote: Originally Posted by karlwaite View Post
As for the skill changes to benefit pvp likes of the fly by damage reduction they suffered and reducing focused defence by 200% is a joke they are affecting pve to benefit pvp.

Dacer
11.13.2012 , 03:38 AM | #10
On 2nd thought - Nerf operatives.