Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

BW, do you ever plan on addressing DPS Mercs/Commandos PvP-wise?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
BW, do you ever plan on addressing DPS Mercs/Commandos PvP-wise?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Phasersablaze
11.08.2012 , 09:11 PM | #261
Quote: Originally Posted by cashogy View Post
casting while moving would basically be the same as an instant ability, since the cast time for both tracer and power shot are 1.5s, which is the same as one global cooldown.

from a coding standpoint, changing the Muzzle Fluting skill box to 2s reduction would be the easiest thing to do. casting while moving might be a little more complicated.

considering they would both have the same desired result, i would prefer bioware to pursue the easier option
No it would not be the same...you can't interrupt and instant ability...

cashogy
11.08.2012 , 11:47 PM | #262
Quote: Originally Posted by Phasersablaze View Post
No it would not be the same...you can't interrupt and instant ability...
thats all you took away from that?

yes, you cannot interrupt an instant. casting while moving would still leave us vulnerable to interrupts, which is part of the problem with merc. as far as mobility, 6 of one, half a dozen of another, which is what i was refering to.

instant cast is the optimal solution here. merc has no mobility/limited mobility in its DPS specs. in both specs, it is woefully vulnerable to interrupts. instant cast tracer missile and power shot solves both of those problems, which will allow merc to put up a fight against the hordes of melee/hybrid melee players that are out there.

one change, and bioware could alleviate a lot of the headaches merc players have

edit: i just did rateds for the first time in a long time. enemy team was fully comprised of melee classes. absolutely nothing i could do against the endless chain of leaps, interrupts, roots, and crapload of CC. staying out of melee range is impossible, which make casting impossible without ensuring your imminent death

dejavy
11.09.2012 , 12:02 AM | #263
Quote: Originally Posted by cashogy View Post
thats all you took away from that?

yes, you cannot interrupt an instant. casting while moving would still leave us vulnerable to interrupts, which is part of the problem with merc. as far as mobility, 6 of one, half a dozen of another, which is what i was refering to.

instant cast is the optimal solution here. merc has no mobility/limited mobility in its DPS specs. in both specs, it is woefully vulnerable to interrupts. instant cast tracer missile and power shot solves both of those problems, which will allow merc to put up a fight against the hordes of melee/hybrid melee players that are out there.

one change, and bioware could alleviate a lot of the headaches merc players have
Each word i agree with.

Mercury_Down
11.10.2012 , 02:56 PM | #264
How much of a difference do you think it would make if they made First Reponder (2 pts 100% chance 5% alacrity for 6 seconds) stack instead of refresh? As it is now you can have pretty much perma 5% alacrity boost, but having semi-perma 25% to 30% alacrity would be nice for all the casting abilities...

cashogy
11.10.2012 , 03:03 PM | #265
Quote: Originally Posted by Mercury_Down View Post
How much of a difference do you think it would make if they made First Reponder (2 pts 100% chance 5% alacrity for 6 seconds) stack instead of refresh? As it is now you can have pretty much perma 5% alacrity boost, but having semi-perma 25% to 30% alacrity would be nice for all the casting abilities...
we're talking about fixing the DPS trees. i do not want to be forced to spend 7 points in the combat medic tree in order to be viable.

however this gets fixed, it needs to be done in the least intrusive way possible. ive already suggested changing the muzzle fluting box, which is something that every DPS build should already have.

tointjoker
11.10.2012 , 04:09 PM | #266
just another Merc agreeing that some changes could be needed to give us a fighting chance in pvp. I'm Arsenal spec and everything I read here sounds useful.

Smashbrother
11.10.2012 , 04:14 PM | #267
I remember elemental shamans in WoW were pretty much a turret class too and had the same issues as dps commandos do. What did Blizz do to fix them? Or are they still crap? Maybe we can use some of their ideas here.

cashogy
11.11.2012 , 12:48 PM | #268
bump, lets not let this thread lose steam

yoomazir
11.11.2012 , 06:30 PM | #269
So I finally joined a good pvp guild and one of the first things they told me is that they're not going to get me for ranked when the season comes, not because of my skills as a gamer but because the class sucks.

Yo, moderator boy, when you ask pvp senior dev whateverisname (since they're too busy partying instead of reading their own game forums), tell him that, and also tell him 1.4 merc/commando changes sucked donkey balls.

LeonHawkeye
11.11.2012 , 08:03 PM | #270
Quote: Originally Posted by yoomazir View Post
So I finally joined a good pvp guild and one of the first things they told me is that they're not going to get me for ranked when the season comes, not because of my skills as a gamer but because the class sucks.

Yo, moderator boy, when you ask pvp senior dev whateverisname (since they're too busy partying instead of reading their own game forums), tell him that, and also tell him 1.4 merc/commando changes sucked donkey balls.
This, a thousand times this!!! Even I wouldn't take me to a ranked PvP group were something "important" like rating is involved, not because the player is not competent and can't push the class to it's utterly stupefyingly dysfunctional limit but simply because the class is terrible and brings absolutely nothing crucial to the table. Healing spec is decent at best but I'd still feel better bringing a Sorc or Operative instead of a Commando simply because Sorcs have pulls and speed for Hutball and Operatives are just plain and simply beast healers and are sufficiently slippery to survive on their own, Commando healers can do neither outside of their 2min bubble.