Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

To Tank or Not to Tank...that is the question

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
To Tank or Not to Tank...that is the question

mikebevo
11.06.2012 , 03:28 PM | #1
If you are the selfish need everything, then this is not the thread for you.

The question here is for those that are generally trying to make their guild better and the community better as a whole, not the self-centered me at all cost. I have been feeling guilty lately because, you guessed it, I do not have a tank on the republic or the imperial side. I have 3 healers and 3 dps at the moment. So am I being selfish and self-centered by not at least rolling one tank? Or does the healer role absolve me from need to roll a tank?

The tank role just holds no interest to me. Of course the healer role held no interest either, but that was what the guild needed at the time and I have fallen in love with the role. I also know many people only run dps, but this isnít about that, is it alright not to roll a tank if you at least fill the healer role. I could easily covert my dps shadow over to tank, but I like the support role of a healer way more than I ever could enjoy leading a group.

Vongolasky
11.06.2012 , 03:37 PM | #2
I have a Tank Guardian and an Assassin, and I have a Dps Vanguard and a Sniper. I Suck at healing, I know it, but I would be willing to try to get better if I had to. I am of the mentality that I would rather Protect or Kill, I'm not much of a healer. But thats just me. I don't have a guild yet so I don't know if I would run a healer if they needed one.

jumay
11.06.2012 , 04:09 PM | #3
I have at least one of the 3 roles. I rarely play my healer because I don't like to heal. Unless you were recruited to the guild to tank or it is the only way to get into guild runs, I would not worry about running a tank.

Segastorm
11.06.2012 , 04:18 PM | #4
Yeah, you shouldn't have to tank if you don't want to. If your guild starts to harass you, leave.

You're not being selfish by not wanting to tank. Everyone has some role they prefer not to do (personally, I dislike dps'ing).

Chaqen
11.06.2012 , 04:25 PM | #5
I currently have 3 dps, 1 tank, and 1 healer at level 50, i have 1 tank in the 20's and a healer in the 30's. But honestly i have stop queing my tank and even my healer in the group finder due to boredom and frustration with the quality of the groups. It wouldnt be to bad if people were willing to learn and admit that they have room to grow, but most of the time the people i get most frustrated with are self-acclaim pros that dont have nothing to learn from another player.

But back to your original question, it could/would benefit the group finder ques for some if you had a tank you played on occasions, but the effect would sorta be a drop of water in the ocean. Que times are still going to be a pain majority of the time, especially since your friends/guildies will want you to tank for them most likely.

There is also the question about personal growth as a gamer, and as a player in swtor. Playing a tank will help you experience the third side of the trinity, and will make you a better healer and dpser. Also if you understand the role of a tank well, and get a fair amount of experience you should be able to contribute more to the development of strategies for new fight (that is if you do progression raiding).

Overall, there really isnt a reason not to try out tanking... i would advise you to level a new toon to 50 though to be your tank instead of just respecing a dps toon. This will give you the chance to develop your skill as a tank, at the same rate your abilities will develop.

Wrthlessnoob
11.06.2012 , 06:09 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Segastorm View Post
Yeah, you shouldn't have to tank if you don't want to. If your guild starts to harass you, leave.

You're not being selfish by not wanting to tank. Everyone has some role they prefer not to do (personally, I dislike dps'ing).
^This. Play the roles you enjoy, and if there are not enough people around that enjoy tanking, well then measures would need to be taken to make tanking a more rewarding and enjoyable experience.
Jedi Covenant
Bedin, Auf, Csillian, Genericjeditwat, Ex-imperial
Exacerbated, Genericsithtwat, Mandomerc, Erg, Sub-rosa

Darth_Dreselus
11.06.2012 , 06:12 PM | #7
You are not being selfish, if all you want is healing and dps'ing do that. If you don't want to tank you might not end up being a good tank since you may not enjoy it so what would be the point. On the other hand as soon as you feel that you want to try it go right ahead, nobody can tell you otherwise.
The Last Centurions Derpyn - Sage / Toughen - Vanguard / Bluffin - Scoundrel / Roughen - Sentinel
Filthy-rich - Juggernaut / Timberwulf - Sniper / Ironwill - Mercenary / Ahuizotl - Assassin

BiS Relics for Healers PvE/PvP

Knockerz
11.06.2012 , 06:33 PM | #8
Play whatever you want to play. Don't ever let any one ever tell you what to play. That's from my experience. You ask temp to tank, but eventually turns into permanent.
Quote: Originally Posted by Tatile View Post
Less armour = moves faster = more dodging = less getting hit.
Quote: Originally Posted by Andryah View Post
Oh.. there is plenty of complaining in this thread. As well as demands, expressions of entitlement, and wild dreams.
Lovely Andryah the Forum Princess

DrewFromPhilly
11.06.2012 , 11:20 PM | #9
I leveled a gaurdian tank and a powertech tank to 50, but they're both dps now. Tanking is meh. This is my first MMO and I liked the idea of tanking but actually doing it just got old really fast.

I do have a 50 healer I like though, and it seems to suit me more than tanking.

Helig
11.06.2012 , 11:42 PM | #10
People are selfish, ungrateful jerks by default. Play what you like and don't concern yourself with their opinions. I play all three roles extensively, and, unless the guild really needs something (like the Ops run will not happen without my tank or healer), I run what I enjoy most at the moment.
"I'm not *giving* him cake, I'm *assaulting* him with cake!" - Pinkamena Diane Pie