Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

HELP: 2 rDPS vs 1 mDPS + 1 rDPS?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > New Player Help
HELP: 2 rDPS vs 1 mDPS + 1 rDPS?

funkiestj
11.05.2012 , 06:01 PM | #1
My wife and I have just reached level 50 on our mains (sage heals, guardian tank) and we are rolling alts.

Our new alts are going to be trooper and smuggler. Does range vs melee DPS group composition matter much in endgame? I.e. should one of us go melee DPS or can we both go ranged without making things too hard on ourselves and our flashpoint mates?

Mr. Hat says "BW support is the best"!
I am a bad player, so what?

happysister
11.05.2012 , 06:08 PM | #2
not really. i've been through FPs where the only melee toon was the tank, and we got through just fine. half the time, having ranged DPS makes things a tad easier actually. not that it's better than melee, as both are great. it all depends on what you enjoy most.
The Kipplar Legacy ~ Proud Founder of The Old Republic
The Heroes of The Republic

Eternalnight
11.05.2012 , 08:25 PM | #3
Pretty much have never seen in any mmo any combat mechanics that would require specifically melee or would make it easier to have melee instead of all dps be ranged.

There are few rare situations where it is better for the dps to stand at close distance to whatever they are doing dps on (that is to stand where melee would normally stand) but even in those situations you can do it just as easily with a ranged dps since all ranged can still do dps just the same while standing at close distance instead of long distance, so even in those situations there is no real advantage for having a melee.

On the other hand I can think of plenty of examples where you are better to have ranged instead of all melee.

Infalliable
11.06.2012 , 07:32 AM | #4
In general it doesn't matter.

The scoundrel DPS trees are generally regarded as sub-par though. They're not that much worse (if played well), but the perception is there and that can complicate getting into endgame groups. If people see a scoundrel, they think healer.

funkiestj
11.06.2012 , 12:23 PM | #5
What made me ask the question was the Transgenic Sample 11 fight in Lost Island. Implicit in rDPS vs mDPS is cast/channelled attacks vs instant attacks. With sample 11, players are required to be on the run for a portion of the fight. In this case mDPS is a bit better as they can continue hitting with their best attacks. It sounds like this is not a major consideration though.

As for smuggler class: my wife is going gunslinger (sniper), not scoundrel (operative) since she wants to play rDPS and gunslinger has 2 ranged trees: sharshooter (marksmanship) and Saboteur (engineering). Giving it just a quick glance, dirty fighting (lethality) looks like a mDPS or short range DPS tree.

Thanks for everyone's feedback!

Mr. Hat says "BW support is the best"!
I am a bad player, so what?

Infalliable
11.06.2012 , 12:59 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by funkiestj View Post
What made me ask the question was the Transgenic Sample 11 fight in Lost Island. Implicit in rDPS vs mDPS is cast/channelled attacks vs instant attacks. With sample 11, players are required to be on the run for a portion of the fight. In this case mDPS is a bit better as they can continue hitting with their best attacks. It sounds like this is not a major consideration though.

As for smuggler class: my wife is going gunslinger (sniper), not scoundrel (operative) since she wants to play rDPS and gunslinger has 2 ranged trees: sharshooter (marksmanship) and Saboteur (engineering). Giving it just a quick glance, dirty fighting (lethality) looks like a mDPS or short range DPS tree.

Thanks for everyone's feedback!
It is not a major issue, and every fight is a little different and may favor one over the other. Ranged DPS is typically a little easier as you're out of any AOEs the boss casts around himself (like stomps), but mDPS tend to have better survivability cooldowns and some other tricks that offset.

All the sniper trees have only 30m skills in them. None focus on any melee skills (and the only 10m skills you'll use are the CCs that are universally short range). Lethality (sniper/slinger) is ranged but it tends to be a poor leveling spec. It's much better endgame and PVP. Lethality (scoundrel/operative) is primarily short range.