Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Companions ready for romance? (SGR?! Oh noes!)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Companions ready for romance? (SGR?! Oh noes!)

Journeyer
10.30.2012 , 12:32 PM | #1
Apologies if a thread like this already exists--I couldn't find one in search due to a mountain of discussions about "when" sgr comes to swtor.

Anyways. The darndest thing happened this weekend whilst I was enjoying some Hurricane-sponsored vacation time. I started new toon--my first Jedi Knight--and a few cheery hours later, I began to feel like there was something about my new companion, Kira.

She says these cute sort of things, you see--"Don't take this the wrong way," she says, "but I've never been so happy to see someone in my whole life!" Or, when I give her something nice, she jokes something along the lines of "you *do* like me after all!" Or that time when I meant to give her a luxury item, honestly, but they have the same picture as the courting items...and she ...well, she rather enthusiastically thanked me, as a little +24 floated up the screen.

You know, she seems to say all those little lines that people say when they want to try out the sound of telling someone that they like them, but want to phrase it off-hand so that it can be laughed off easily without taking too much of a risk. She seems to...like me.

Only trick is, I decided that for once, I'd roll a female toon. Kira doesn't seem to mind receiving courting gifts from her, and her dialogue seems to keep bordering around flirting. I mean, I hadn't intended to go a romance route, but it struck me rather interestingly to notice this happening. With most other toons, accidentally giving a courting item to a same-gender has resulted in things like "what am I supposed to do with this?" or "Uh, no thanks." Mind you, I'm only nearly through Nar Shaddaa with Kira--maybe things change? But what I'd figured would be some kind of "sisterly" thing has turned out to sound like the start of something else...

To that end: I think Kira, as far as I've gotten to know her to this point, is practically romanceable as a same-gender arc. Since the game does not "have" such a thing, I assume that somewhere down the line, a few companion dialogues differ from if I'd played a male Knight, right? But really, it seems like with the flip of a switch, Kira could be convincing either way.

So, community---what do you think? Am I missing something through not having seen much of her yet? Are there other companions who could possibly work this way? I don't mean to ask "which companions should be gay/lesbian because you'd like them to be"--I think there's already forum topics for that.

More precisely, are there storylines that you guys think could work, romantically, almost as-is?

In other words, if a checkbox appeared in prefs to say "Allow same-gender romance" and all that it did was flipped the last couple quests in a companion's arc to include what would otherwise have been the opposite-gender romance, which companions would it work for? Any?
I make useful, game-expanding suggestions.
Holorancor | Food! | Outfit Storage | My Career | Ultimate PvE Solution

stuffystuffs
10.30.2012 , 01:44 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by Journeyer View Post
Mind you, I'm only nearly through Nar Shaddaa with Kira--maybe things change?
Not really. I always took some of her responses as being a bit flirty as well.

However, you can never flirt back so Kira will just think that you're not interested and will go on 4vr HEARTBROKEN!!!

Quote: Originally Posted by Journeyer View Post
To that end: I think Kira, as far as I've gotten to know her to this point, is practically romanceable as a same-gender arc. Since the game does not "have" such a thing, I assume that somewhere down the line, a few companion dialogues differ from if I'd played a male Knight, right?
The difference with a male is that you can actually flirt with her. If you don't, her dialog would be the same as with a female.

As for other companions, people get the same flirty vibe from Kaliyo (Imp Agent).

As for which companions would fit, I could see any of them.
Node guarder

AelixVII
10.30.2012 , 02:45 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by stuffystuffs View Post
As for other companions, people get the same flirty vibe from Kaliyo (Imp Agent).

As for which companions would fit, I could see any of them.
I get the same, well, not flirty, but overly concerned in a more than just friend kind of way vibe from Vector and the male Agent. And I like it...

Skodan
10.30.2012 , 02:48 PM | #4
i believe they stated that current companions wont have SGRs activated, only future ones
The Goa'uld Legacy Level 50 on Jedi Covenant (previously Canderous Ordo)
Imperial Entanglements
Less Imperial Entanglements
Check out LIE and IE: Galaxy Wide Casual Social Guilds

Journeyer
10.30.2012 , 02:56 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Skodan View Post
i believe they stated that current companions wont have SGRs activated, only future ones
Well, sure, but it's the "in theory" question

Definitely, in some cases it'd mean a whole re-write of the companion, but I was just so...startled by how "already there" Kira seems to be that...well... It almost *could* be done?

Vector--hmmm, could see that. He's got that naivety things going on that's treated as romance with the fem agent; probably could work flipped.

ThatGnome
10.30.2012 , 05:00 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by AelixVII View Post
I get the same, well, not flirty, but overly concerned in a more than just friend kind of way vibe from Vector and the male Agent. And I like it...
For me it's Akaavi and my female Smuggler. There's something there, imo, which is more than friendship.

Journeyer
10.31.2012 , 08:29 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by ThatGnome View Post
For me it's Akaavi and my female Smuggler. There's something there, imo, which is more than friendship.
Ahhh, hm. I've only gotten Akaavi with a male smug, but now that you mention it, that gravely, low-spoken intensity might work XD

stuffystuffs
10.31.2012 , 12:44 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Skodan View Post
Latest news is that it will be with some current ones.
Node guarder

Ms_Sunlight
10.31.2012 , 01:09 PM | #9
Please let Zenith be gay! I'll roll a sage just so I can mack on him!
Carilie - Scoundrel // Dastelen - Shadow // Dras'yra - Sniper // Elonie - Sorcerer // Undali - Powertech
Server: The Red Eclipse // Guild: The Onyx Guard / The Orbital Guard

Skodan
10.31.2012 , 01:10 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by stuffystuffs View Post
Latest news is that it will be with some current ones.
thats good to hear
The Goa'uld Legacy Level 50 on Jedi Covenant (previously Canderous Ordo)
Imperial Entanglements
Less Imperial Entanglements
Check out LIE and IE: Galaxy Wide Casual Social Guilds