Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Needing Items while grouped


Cross_Fade's Avatar


Cross_Fade
10.29.2012 , 10:39 AM | #31
Quote: Originally Posted by Aedey View Post
If you're now saying that then why not just do that in the first place. Just run it again with people that are for sure cool with you doing it. Just never need on stuff you don't personally need in a PuG FP. Companions DO NOT count in your personal needs. Yes you can do it but it's soo douche it's pointless to try.

Trust me when you hit endgame you will hate need whores as much as every other person. You don't see our perspective because it's all new for you. & if you are a vet then why the hell need for companion gear anyway.. just run it with a 50 mate & gear the comp that way.
I've played to game for about half a year dude. It isn't all new to me, this was on my alt. And up until lately, the need stuff wasn't a big deal. And companions are a personal need to me. Douche or not, I need to keep them gear'd to don't I? Yes, I do. I already said thanks for the insight on the matter, but to each his own. I'mma do things my way, you go ahead and be the selfless, righteous person you are portraying. Thats your thing not mine. But I want my companions to be up there just as good as me. I'm not gonna pass on ORANGE gear that they can use. Thats just dumb.


I got a guild to do end-game with, and I'm friends with them so I'm not going to need something if they can use it faster, or whatever before I can. But as far as randoms in group finder are concerned, especially on sub-50 I gotta do what I gotta do to get gear. I'm not upset that they got upset, I just think its a little ridiculous for them to get upset that I needed it, even though they won the roll

Aedey's Avatar


Aedey
10.29.2012 , 10:42 AM | #32
Then how about you do that with a high up friend? Why, for one, start a forum flame war & POINTLESSLY piss people off? If you are not a nub to this game you need to change that attitude quick smart. How about you tell me your name & server & I come give a taste of some need whore medicine? I bet you wouldn't like it.

It's not the way to do it. If you have a friend who can run you through it as a gear run do that. People like you are why PuGs have a bad name.
If you want orange BUY IT with the money from dailies at end game. Make it or sometihng. Any server on this game I can assure you, you can find someone who will make you stuff for the companion perfectly suited & in modifiable gear. Player gear & companion gear is often badly tuned for anything but that specific class. You'd be better off in crappier gear most of the time.
Aedè Nebari - Consular - The Harbinger, Formerly Gav Daragon
I miss my 55ms of lag..
SWG YT-TwoFiveA - Europe - Chimaera

ReverendAnderson's Avatar


ReverendAnderson
10.29.2012 , 10:49 AM | #33
As my Guardian, I need only things my character can use and that are better than what I've got on. Everything else is either greed or I'll ask the other players if they mind if I need for a companion.
If something I need gets needed by someone who can't use it, then I'll tell them they shouldn't have taken it, ask them to give it to me (or another Guardian who needed and beat my roll), and if that doesn't happen I'll ask the group to kick the other guy, or I'll leave.
As the tank, the other guy generally gets kicked.

If you want gear for your companions, either use stuff you find during quests, quest rewards, or ask your group during a Flashpoint if they mind you needing for a companion instead of yourself.
"That's two sound theories in one day, neither of which deal with abnormally sized men."

Cross_Fade's Avatar


Cross_Fade
10.29.2012 , 10:50 AM | #34
Quote: Originally Posted by Aedey View Post
Then how about you do that with a high up friend? Why, for one, start a forum flame war & POINTLESSLY piss people off? If you are not a nub to this game you need to change that attitude quick smart. How about you tell me your name & server & I come give a taste of some need whore medicine? I bet you wouldn't like it.

It's not the way to do it. If you have a friend who can run you through it as a gear run do that. People like you are why PuGs have a bad name.
I didn't start a flame war, people who can in here calling me rude did. I'm not here to piss people off, but if they get mad then whose fault is it? I was just wondering why its such a big deal to get made when they won the roll. Thats all.
Also, you don't need to tell me to change my attitude. And really? I just told you people "need whore" me all the time and I don't care. None of my friends were on, which is what I used Group Finder.

Anyways I'm not here to piss you off, but if you get mad whatever. I said I respected all opinions and insight, but really is it called for the call me a douche bag? No. You don't know me, I'm one of the friendliest people you'll meet, but I also look out for me and my own because no one else is going to do it for you. That isn't rude. That doesn't make me a douche bag. I said if I won a roll and someone in the group wanted the item or wanted to trade for it, I'd more then likely be up for it. I've done it before and I'll do it again. I'm not greedy, I'm not rude, I'm not a douche. I just do whats best for me, but I will help someone out if they ASK.

Aedey's Avatar


Aedey
10.29.2012 , 10:51 AM | #35
Quote: Originally Posted by ReverendAnderson View Post
As my Guardian, I need only things my character can use and that are better than what I've got on. Everything else is either greed or I'll ask the other players if they mind if I need for a companion.
If something I need gets needed by someone who can't use it, then I'll tell them they shouldn't have taken it, ask them to give it to me (or another Guardian who needed and beat my roll), and if that doesn't happen I'll ask the group to kick the other guy, or I'll leave.
As the tank, the other guy generally gets kicked.

If you want gear for your companions, either use stuff you find during quests, quest rewards, or ask your group during a Flashpoint if they mind you needing for a companion instead of yourself.
This. Thank you.
Aedè Nebari - Consular - The Harbinger, Formerly Gav Daragon
I miss my 55ms of lag..
SWG YT-TwoFiveA - Europe - Chimaera

Aedey's Avatar


Aedey
10.29.2012 , 10:53 AM | #36
Quote: Originally Posted by Cross_Fade View Post
I didn't start a flame war, people who can in here calling me rude did. I'm not here to piss people off, but if they get mad then whose fault is it? I was just wondering why its such a big deal to get made when they won the roll. Thats all.
Also, you don't need to tell me to change my attitude. And really? I just told you people "need whore" me all the time and I don't care. None of my friends were on, which is what I used Group Finder.

Anyways I'm not here to piss you off, but if you get mad whatever. I said I respected all opinions and insight, but really is it called for the call me a douche bag? No. You don't know me, I'm one of the friendliest people you'll meet, but I also look out for me and my own because no one else is going to do it for you. That isn't rude. That doesn't make me a douche bag. I said if I won a roll and someone in the group wanted the item or wanted to trade for it, I'd more then likely be up for it. I've done it before and I'll do it again. I'm not greedy, I'm not rude, I'm not a douche. I just do whats best for me, but I will help someone out if they ASK.
Why do I not believe anything in that? If you're so friendly why continue to quote me & beat a dead horse. No-one on here has agreed with you so far. Maybe one person. If you want orange buy it. If you are impatient enough to not bother waiting for a friend (which I call BS as it seems as though you speak as though this has happened more than once) then this is not the game for you. Someone so friendly would ask about if anyone needed it.
Aedè Nebari - Consular - The Harbinger, Formerly Gav Daragon
I miss my 55ms of lag..
SWG YT-TwoFiveA - Europe - Chimaera

Cross_Fade's Avatar


Cross_Fade
10.29.2012 , 10:53 AM | #37
Quote: Originally Posted by ReverendAnderson View Post
As my Guardian, I need only things my character can use and that are better than what I've got on. Everything else is either greed or I'll ask the other players if they mind if I need for a companion.
If something I need gets needed by someone who can't use it, then I'll tell them they shouldn't have taken it, ask them to give it to me (or another Guardian who needed and beat my roll), and if that doesn't happen I'll ask the group to kick the other guy, or I'll leave.
As the tank, the other guy generally gets kicked.

If you want gear for your companions, either use stuff you find during quests, quest rewards, or ask your group during a Flashpoint if they mind you needing for a companion instead of yourself.
See, I don't ask for the items I need, or request a kick. And like I said, if someone ask me if they can have something I just won a roll for, I'd be more then likely willing to help. I'm not a selfish guy but they way I look at it, is if I can have ANY use for it aside from selling or REing, then I'm going to need it. If I just want to sell it or reverse engineer it, I'll greed it.

JimG's Avatar


JimG
10.29.2012 , 10:55 AM | #38
Quote: Originally Posted by Cross_Fade View Post
I appreciate all the insight on this, it helped me see why some people think its rude. But as far as the unspoken rule goes I'm not to concerned about it. If me or one of my companions can use it, and its better then what is equipped already then I'm going to need it. The option is there for that reason. Again thanks, I'll stick to my play style and y'all stick to your's.

No I'm not entitled to it, there's a roll for that exact reason. If I NEED it for my companion I'mma select NEED. It might be selfish to some but I gotta gear with better stuff somehow. The only time I ran into this problem was on group finder. So, I reckon I will be a selfish player. You can't make nice with everyone, or you won't get anywhere.
BW could solve the issue here by putting class restrictions on using "need" for an item so that people can't "need" for something that their character can't equip. Honestly though, it doesn't seem to come up all that often as, in 11 months, I've only had about 3 players "need" on something in a flashpoint or heroic that they can't equip without asking in group chat ahead of time whether it would be okay with everyone else if they "needed" on something.

Keep in mind, that flashpoints take the most time to run out of anything else during leveling. It takes the longest to find groups for that usually and when you're running pick-up groups, there's a much higher rate of failure. Plus, the loot drops are bound (except for the timer where you can trade it within the group after the flashpoint ends) so you can't get that armor and weapons on the GTN or anywhere except as a loot drop in the flashpoint...and the gear and weapons have good mods in them which the planet quest rewards usually don't have mods so it's usually a pretty valuable piece of leveling gear, at least for a few levels anyway. So beyond just the etiquette issue, the amount of time people spend to get that one chance for that orange piece of gear or weapon makes the tensions run even higher when someone who can't equip it "needs" it out from under them. Let's face it, if you needed on some green piece of gear in a 2+ heroic, no one is probably going to care.

More importantly, with group finder, they added a feature to the game where you will not be placed into a group through group finder with anyone on your ignore list. So while it's certainly within your right to say, "hey, sorry if most people think that's selfish, I gotta look out for myself so I'm gonna play the way I want", it's also the right of other players to easily throw you on their ignore list to prevent ever being matched up within you in a group again. Probably won't mean much as you're leveling, but if you have any intention of playing PVP or the end-game content, you might find some really long que times for PVP or hardmode flashpoints, etc. if you accumulate a lot of people blocking you from being grouped with them.

Aedey's Avatar


Aedey
10.29.2012 , 10:58 AM | #39
Quote: Originally Posted by JimG View Post
More importantly, with group finder, they added a feature to the game where you will not be placed into a group through group finder with anyone on your ignore list. So while it's certainly within your right to say, "hey, sorry if most people think that's selfish, I gotta look out for myself so I'm gonna play the way I want", it's also the right of other players to easily throw you on their ignore list to prevent ever being matched up within you in a group again. Probably won't mean much as you're leveling, but if you have any intention of playing PVP or the end-game content, you might find some really long que times for PVP or hardmode flashpoints, etc. if you accumulate a lot of people blocking you from being grouped with them.
This this this is what I am trying to say. You're screwing yourself by doing this.
Aedè Nebari - Consular - The Harbinger, Formerly Gav Daragon
I miss my 55ms of lag..
SWG YT-TwoFiveA - Europe - Chimaera

Cross_Fade's Avatar


Cross_Fade
10.29.2012 , 10:59 AM | #40
Quote: Originally Posted by JimG View Post
BW could solve the issue here by putting class restrictions on using "need" for an item so that people can't "need" for something that their character can't equip. Honestly though, it doesn't seem to come up all that often as, in 11 months, I've only had about 3 players "need" on something in a flashpoint or heroic that they can't equip without asking in group chat ahead of time whether it would be okay with everyone else if they "needed" on something.

Keep in mind, that flashpoints take the most time to run out of anything else during leveling. It takes the longest to find groups for that usually and when you're running pick-up groups, there's a much higher rate of failure. Plus, the loot drops are bound (except for the timer where you can trade it within the group after the flashpoint ends) so you can't get that armor and weapons on the GTN or anywhere except as a loot drop in the flashpoint...and the gear and weapons have good mods in them which the planet quest rewards usually don't have mods so it's usually a pretty valuable piece of leveling gear, at least for a few levels anyway. So beyond just the etiquette issue, the amount of time people spend to get that one chance for that orange piece of gear or weapon makes the tensions run even higher when someone who can't equip it "needs" it out from under them. Let's face it, if you needed on some green piece of gear in a 2+ heroic, no one is probably going to care.

More importantly, with group finder, they added a feature to the game where you will not be placed into a group through group finder with anyone on your ignore list. So while it's certainly within your right to say, "hey, sorry if most people think that's selfish, I gotta look out for myself so I'm gonna play the way I want", it's also the right of other players to easily throw you on their ignore list to prevent ever being matched up within you in a group again. Probably won't mean much as you're leveling, but if you have any intention of playing PVP or the end-game content, you might find some really long que times for PVP or hardmode flashpoints, etc. if you accumulate a lot of people blocking you from being grouped with them.
I appreciate the long post, I really do. The way you put it, I probably will ask next time. But I will probably still need it. Bit if I win the roll and they want it/need it I will let them have it or trade it. Again thanks, you are the only person who didn't jump down my throat when trying to explain things, or argue me over needing items.