Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Is Taris even worth saving?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore

HellbirdIV
10.13.2012 , 01:28 PM | #21
Given the environment that Rakghouls' thrive in (toxic waste pits, radiation-leaking reactors), it's pretty safe to assume that any kind of airborne toxin that could kill Rakghouls would be extremely fatal to any other species trying to colonize Taris.

FearlessXIII
10.13.2012 , 01:38 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by HellbirdIV View Post
Given the environment that Rakghouls' thrive in (toxic waste pits, radiation-leaking reactors), it's pretty safe to assume that any kind of airborne toxin that could kill Rakghouls would be extremely fatal to any other species trying to colonize Taris.
Not necessarily.
Consider, the Rakghouls are based on humans who are not native to Taris.
Something that is highly toxic to humans may be completely harmles to, say, Duros. And vice versa.
Different biochemistry means vulnerability to different toxins.
Understanding the scope of the problem is the first step on the path to true panic.

- Florance Ambrose

HellbirdIV
10.13.2012 , 01:53 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by FearlessXIII View Post
Consider, the Rakghouls are based on humans who are not native to Taris.
No. Rakghouls come from sentient humanoids, not humans. In fact the Rakghoul plague can even infect non-sentient species like Reeks, Tarisian devourers and Mantellian Savrips. It's not endemic to humans.

FearlessXIII
10.13.2012 , 04:17 PM | #24
No. Rakghouls come from sentient humanoids, not humans. In fact the Rakghoul plague can even infect non-sentient species like Reeks, Tarisian devourers and Mantellian Savrips. It's not endemic to humans.
Hmm... if memory serves me right, then the original plague, transmitted trough the Force by the Muur Talisman, only affected humans and a select few other species. That's why Zane's sidekick Gryph didn't turn, despite not being force sensitive.
But, if he would have been bitten, he would have turned, right?

Ok, looking at it from the other end:
If we permit other c-canon sources, then Taris eventualy got resettled at some point during the next 4 millenia. So either the republic got on top of the Rakghouls eventualy, or the problem somehow went away by itself.
Any ideas?
Since you are so adamant to rule out conventional methods , what unconventional methods come to mind?
Understanding the scope of the problem is the first step on the path to true panic.

- Florance Ambrose

Path-x
10.13.2012 , 05:22 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by natashina View Post
No.
Jedi: You won the day, Sith. So, kill me if you must.
Warrior: I must.

Quething
10.13.2012 , 07:28 PM | #26
Hell no.

and what's worse, because of how virulent the Rakghoul plague is, two rakghouls from the same social group can have sufficiently different strains that the vaccine will only work against one of them - if that!
[citation needed]

Zardac_the_Great
10.13.2012 , 07:55 PM | #27
Is Taris worth saving?

No. Death Star it. Please. I beg of you

In all of its incarnations, Taris is boring, tedious, and entirely too long.

Now...as far as lore goes...Still, probably not. It will be entirely too expensive in credits, effort, and most importantly, lives. Not that Sareesh cares about that.

Spoiler

Ashu-ri
10.13.2012 , 10:10 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by natashina View Post
I've played both the Imperial side and the Republic side through Taris and the idea of saving Taris seems silly to me.

So, the Imp side wants it fully destroyed to "remind the Republic of it's failure." The Republic politicians want to save Taris, thinking they can reclaim it. What's funny about that is, if you talk to most of the Trooper npcs, they wonder what the point is too.

Speaking of politicians...

Spoiler

I personally side with the Imps. The planet just needs to be put out of its misery. When the Republic finishes its studies, they should bail out too. The planet seems so damaged it's beyond repair.

Thoughts?
No, I don't think Taris is worth saving. It's been too far gone for 300 years.

Spoiler

Canino
10.14.2012 , 06:51 AM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by FearlessXIII View Post
Hmm... if memory serves me right, then the original plague, transmitted trough the Force by the Muur Talisman, only affected humans and a select few other species. That's why Zane's sidekick Gryph didn't turn, despite not being force sensitive.
But, if he would have been bitten, he would have turned, right?

Ok, looking at it from the other end:
If we permit other c-canon sources, then Taris eventualy got resettled at some point during the next 4 millenia. So either the republic got on top of the Rakghouls eventualy, or the problem somehow went away by itself.
Any ideas?
Since you are so adamant to rule out conventional methods , what unconventional methods come to mind?
Gotta go with you here. Everything you've said made sense, and I too would like to see what would happen.
STATEMENT: I'm just a simple assassin...I mean bodyguard, master. You have nothing to fear.
---------

RevanKnight
10.14.2012 , 09:12 AM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by AlexDougherty View Post
But I'll admit I can't recall Nathema, is it in the Clone wars Toons.
No. The sith emperor used a dark side ritual to kill the planet as a way to become immortal.