Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Is Taris even worth saving?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Is Taris even worth saving?

natashina's Avatar


natashina
10.12.2012 , 04:10 AM | #1
I've played both the Imperial side and the Republic side through Taris and the idea of saving Taris seems silly to me.

So, the Imp side wants it fully destroyed to "remind the Republic of it's failure." The Republic politicians want to save Taris, thinking they can reclaim it. What's funny about that is, if you talk to most of the Trooper npcs, they wonder what the point is too.

Speaking of politicians...

Spoiler


I personally side with the Imps. The planet just needs to be put out of its misery. When the Republic finishes its studies, they should bail out too. The planet seems so damaged it's beyond repair.

Thoughts?

AshlaBoga's Avatar


AshlaBoga
10.12.2012 , 05:09 AM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by natashina View Post
I've played both the Imperial side and the Republic side through Taris and the idea of saving Taris seems silly to me.

So, the Imp side wants it fully destroyed to "remind the Republic of it's failure." The Republic politicians want to save Taris, thinking they can reclaim it. What's funny about that is, if you talk to most of the Trooper npcs, they wonder what the point is too.

Speaking of politicians...

Spoiler


I personally side with the Imps. The planet just needs to be put out of its misery. When the Republic finishes its studies, they should bail out too. The planet seems so damaged it's beyond repair.

Thoughts?
Taris has recovered somewhat by the Clone Wars - over 3600 years later! Thing is, I'm being generous with the word recovered, "has some small cities and a high crime rate" might be more apt.
Typhojem Legacy, Jung Ma server
VICIOUS
Lord of Corruption

natashina's Avatar


natashina
10.12.2012 , 05:34 AM | #3
I've never seen Clone Wars, but I would like to ask: How do they even make that planet livable?

I'd figure it's society would be rough...and there are some hints of colonists returning. I guess my other question would be why is Taris worth saving? Saving face for the Republic? Resources that I'm not aware of or aren't talked about in game?

Spoiler


I can't see what would make Taris important enough to survive to get a form of civilization back, but maybe I'm missing something more?

FoolsErrand's Avatar


FoolsErrand
10.12.2012 , 08:16 AM | #4
Taris was a symbol. For the Republic, fixing Taris would be a becon in the dark; saying "Hey, if we can fix up a planet this bad then we can do anything".
For the Empire, Taris was a symbol of the Republic's inability to stop the Sith. It was a "Look here, the Republic failed to save Taris the first time and they're failing to save it again."
Symbols have power all of their own, they give hope in the darkness or swallow you in despair and that's what both sides are counting on.
Never give up! Never surrender!

TalonVII's Avatar


TalonVII
10.12.2012 , 09:05 AM | #5
Well in the books during the Legacy series we see Taris back to the way it was before it was blown up. Aliens in the slums humans in the nicer parts. Boba Fett spends a lot of time there and infact has investments and apartments there.

Infact after being driven off the planet Mandalore it's where he goes.

So Taris gets rebuilt anyways.
Pretty, so what do we blow up first? -Wraith Squadron Motto
Ebon Hawk
Skiratta Legacy
Finished: Trooper, Agent, Knight, Inquizitor

AlexDougherty's Avatar


AlexDougherty
10.12.2012 , 09:18 AM | #6
The Republic seems to spend a lot of time fixing planets that the Sith have Destroyed, remember Telos IV from Kotor2, although Taris isn't that bad. Mind you, the Sith need to learn that you get more out of terrorising a planet than wrecking it, after all they're supposed to run an EMPIRE not a graveyard.

PS. why do the planets destroyed all start with T?

Darkondo's Avatar


Darkondo
10.12.2012 , 09:22 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by AlexDougherty View Post
The Republic seems to spend a lot of time fixing planets that the Sith have Destroyed, remember Telos IV from Kotor2, although Taris isn't that bad. Mind you, the Sith need to learn that you get more out of terrorising a planet than wrecking it, after all they're supposed to run an EMPIRE not a graveyard.

PS. why do the planets destroyed all start with T?
All i gotta say is Alderaan, Malachor V, Katarr, and Nathema

ALMAINYNY's Avatar


ALMAINYNY
10.12.2012 , 09:32 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by natashina View Post
I've never seen Clone Wars, but I would like to ask: How do they even make that planet livable?

I'd figure it's society would be rough...and there are some hints of colonists returning. I guess my other question would be why is Taris worth saving? Saving face for the Republic? Resources that I'm not aware of or aren't talked about in game?

Spoiler


I can't see what would make Taris important enough to survive to get a form of civilization back, but maybe I'm missing something more?
Well, if we consider Telos for a moment, from KoToR 2, the cut content (which was cut due to time restraints) shows that Telos had
Spoiler
We can potentially assume that Taris had this as well, but it could also be that Malak just wanted to destroy Revan (and the planet) while he had the chance.
There is no emotion, there is peace.
There is no ignorance, there is knowledge.
There is no passion, there is serenity.
There is no chaos, there is harmony.
There is no death, there is the Force

errant_knight's Avatar


errant_knight
10.12.2012 , 09:33 AM | #9
The planet is perfectly viable. Animal life is thriving. A planet isn't 'not worth saving' just because it's inhabitable by humans. By that standard, Antarctica isn't worth saving. Penguins would beg to differ. Humans should just leave Taris alone.

AlexDougherty's Avatar


AlexDougherty
10.12.2012 , 09:44 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Darkondo View Post
All i gotta say is Alderaan, Malachor V, Katarr, and Nathema
Well I'll Give you Katarr, since it was destroyed by the Sith to blind the Jedi to them. But Malachor was destroyed by the Republic according to Kotor2, and Alderaan is in the future so doesn't quite count (yet). But I'll admit I can't recall Nathema, is it in the Clone wars Toons.

But if I was on a planet beginning with T and the Sith turned up, I'ld worry, Then run before they blew it up.