Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

An in-depth look at: Sidious' Death

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
An in-depth look at: Sidious' Death

Aurbere's Avatar


Aurbere
10.01.2012 , 07:32 PM | #1
So here is the third installment of An in-depth look. The previous two seemed to do fairly well so I think I'll continue the series with an in-depth look at Sidious' death.

There's been some grumblings around the forums about this topic. The usual thing I hear is "If this guy's so powerful, how'd he get killed by a half dead man?". So I thought I would shed some light on the subject using this forum series. I will also cover Sidious' final death as well.
So let's put ourselves in Sidious' shoes.

Sidious was the most powerful being in the galaxy. His Empire spanned the entire galaxy and he had crushed the Jedi Order underfoot. His mighty Death Star was almost complete. He had an entire legion of his best troops planet-side to destroy the insignificant rebel forces that planned on destroying the shield generator. His Imperial Fleet was about to crush the insignificant Rebel fleet that dared to stand against him. And here was the son of Skywalker, writhing in pain. The last of the Jedi was about to fall to the Sith. He would make sure Skywalker suffered at his hand. The Emperor was invincible and no one could touch him.

But he failed to realize that the same emotion he used to turn Anakin to the Dark Side would be his undoing. Darth Vader's love for his son gave him the strength to turn away from the Dark Side and destroy the Sith. Caught completely unaware by this treachery, the Emperor is hurled into a reactor shaft and, within seconds, his body is destroyed. His overconfidence was his weakness.

But this wasn't the end of the mighty Darth Sidious. The great Sith Lord had one last card to play. Hidden away, a secret cloning lab held several clones of the Emperor. His energy then transferred to one of these bodies and the once dead Sith Lord returned with more power than ever. By the time the Emperor returned to the galactic stage, the son of Skywalker had become a Jedi Master with power that would rival the Sith Lord. But even Luke Skywalker could not stop the ultimate manifestation of the Dark Side and it would take some time for the jedi to defeat him. Their final confrontation would see the end of Darth Sidious. When his body was destroyed by Han Solo, his spirit attempted to possess the newborn Anakin Solo, only to be intercepted by the dying Empatojayos Brand. His spirit bound to the dying Jedi could only curse the Skywalker's as his spirit was dragged to the depths of the Force. Darth Sidious was dead.

As the epitome of the Rule of Two and the greatest Sith Lord to exist, Darth Sidious commanded the Dark Side like none before him and will always be remembered as the greatest Sith Lord to ever exist. But how did he die? His spirit was 'stuck', lor lack of a better word, with Brand. There was nothing more he could do as the process of essence transfer could not be stopped. Beforehand he would transfer to clone bodies, but the rest of his clones were gone. The clones had no personality- no essense- to re-write, allowing easier possession. But the possession of a living subject would require time and since Brand didn't have that kind of time, his spirit was taken with Brand's into the depths of the Force.

I hope this clears things up for those of you who maybe didn't see it this way. And for those who did know about all of this, I hope it was an interesting read.

If anyone has any suggestions for a future thread, feel free to message me.
Added Chapter 29 to The Shadows Fall
"Your only hope to survive is to give in to the rage boiling within you, to acknowledge the Dark Side you deny, and tap into it!"--Darth Tyranus

JPLaro's Avatar


JPLaro
10.01.2012 , 07:57 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by Aurbere View Post
So here is the third installment of An in-depth look. The previous two seemed to do fairly well so I think I'll continue the series with an in-depth look at Sidious' death.

There's been some grumblings around the forums about this topic. The usual thing I hear is "If this guy's so powerful, how'd he get killed by a half dead man?". So I thought I would shed some light on the subject using this forum series. I will also cover Sidious' final death as well.
So let's put ourselves in Sidious' shoes.

Sidious was the most powerful being in the galaxy. His Empire spanned the entire galaxy and he had crushed the Jedi Order underfoot. His mighty Death Star was almost complete. He had an entire legion of his best troops planet-side to destroy the insignificant rebel forces that planned on destroying the shield generator. His Imperial Fleet was about to crush the insignificant Rebel fleet that dared to stand against him. And here was the son of Skywalker, writhing in pain. The last of the Jedi was about to fall to the Sith. He would make sure Skywalker suffered at his hand. The Emperor was invincible and no one could touch him.

But he failed to realize that the same emotion he used to turn Anakin to the Dark Side would be his undoing. Darth Vader's love for his son gave him the strength to turn away from the Dark Side and destroy the Sith. Caught completely unaware by this treachery, the Emperor is hurled into a reactor shaft and, within seconds, his body is destroyed. His overconfidence was his weakness.

But this wasn't the end of the mighty Darth Sidious. The great Sith Lord had one last card to play. Hidden away, a secret cloning lab held several clones of the Emperor. His energy then transferred to one of these bodies and the once dead Sith Lord returned with more power than ever. By the time the Emperor returned to the galactic stage, the son of Skywalker had become a Jedi Master with power that would rival the Sith Lord. But even Luke Skywalker could not stop the ultimate manifestation of the Dark Side and it would take some time for the jedi to defeat him. Their final confrontation would see the end of Darth Sidious. When his body was destroyed by Han Solo, his spirit attempted to possess the newborn Anakin Solo, only to be intercepted by the dying Empatojayos Brand. His spirit bound to the dying Jedi could only curse the Skywalker's as his spirit was dragged to the depths of the Force. Darth Sidious was dead.

As the epitome of the Rule of Two and the greatest Sith Lord to exist, Darth Sidious commanded the Dark Side like none before him and will always be remembered as the greatest Sith Lord to ever exist. But how did he die? His spirit was 'stuck', lor lack of a better word, with Brand. There was nothing more he could do as the process of essence transfer could not be stopped. Beforehand he would transfer to clone bodies, but the rest of his clones were gone. The clones had no personality- no essense- to re-write, allowing easier possession. But the possession of a living subject would require time and since Brand didn't have that kind of time, his spirit was taken with Brand's into the depths of the Force.

I hope this clears things up for those of you who maybe didn't see it this way. And for those who did know about all of this, I hope it was an interesting read.

If anyone has any suggestions for a future thread, feel free to message me.
I name you, historian on the swtor website!!!

All hail the historian!

ToEasy's Avatar


ToEasy
10.01.2012 , 08:02 PM | #3
Another good post. I really like these threads, keep up the good work.
"Jedi do not fight for peace. That's only a slogan, and is as misleading as slogans always are. Jedi fight for civilization, because only civilization creates peace. We fight for justice because justice is the fundamental bedrock of civilization: an unjust civilization is built upon sand. It does not long survive a storm." - Mace Windu

Aurbere's Avatar


Aurbere
10.01.2012 , 08:12 PM | #4
Thak you both!

I'm glad that these threads are getting positive feedback. Thank you.

I'd like to note that I don't so research for these threads. Everything is based off of my knowledge of Star Wars and the Star Wars canon. So to have great feedback on these threads tells me I'm doing something right. Thank you again.
Added Chapter 29 to The Shadows Fall
"Your only hope to survive is to give in to the rage boiling within you, to acknowledge the Dark Side you deny, and tap into it!"--Darth Tyranus

Aurbere's Avatar


Aurbere
10.01.2012 , 08:15 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by JPLaro View Post
I name you, historian on the swtor website!!!

All hail the historian!
I think I found my new forum signature.
Added Chapter 29 to The Shadows Fall
"Your only hope to survive is to give in to the rage boiling within you, to acknowledge the Dark Side you deny, and tap into it!"--Darth Tyranus

Rayla_Felana's Avatar


Rayla_Felana
10.02.2012 , 08:13 AM | #6
Very well written and informative, good work my friend.

Eillack's Avatar


Eillack
10.02.2012 , 08:32 AM | #7
*You have earned the rank of Historian on the SW:TOR forums!*
With unity, comes strength...with strength, comes power...with power...comes obedience.....
CE Owner '09 Account
Quote: Originally Posted by BruceMaclean View Post
..I think it's ultimately our fault for not communicating enough.

Aurbere's Avatar


Aurbere
10.02.2012 , 09:33 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Rayla_Felana View Post
Very well written and informative, good work my friend.
Thank you very much. I try to keep this thread series informative.

Quote: Originally Posted by Eillack View Post
*You have earned the rank of Historian on the SW:TOR forums!*
Thank you good sir!
Added Chapter 29 to The Shadows Fall
"Your only hope to survive is to give in to the rage boiling within you, to acknowledge the Dark Side you deny, and tap into it!"--Darth Tyranus

fellblade's Avatar


fellblade
10.02.2012 , 10:19 AM | #9
This was a Very Nice and informative read - I know very little about post ROTJ Star Wars so I learned a few things here

One Thing that I've always found Interesting - is that people always use Sidious killing Vader with Force Lightning as proof of Vader's Extreme Vulnerability to it - However the Scene itself to me Shows Vader has a bit of RESISTANCE to it....

There is not One person that I have seen - that is actually HIT by Sidious' Lightning - that is not immediately Stunned, Knocked Back or Writhing in Agony ASIDE from Vader..... Even Yoda or Mace (Who was killed by it too - the ROTS novel seems to Indicate that Mace Was dead from the lightning before the impact of the fall)
Vader manged to pick Sidious up - Walk with Him While Receiveing a Constant barage of Lightning and then Throw him Down the Shaft....
Anybody else in that Situation would have Probably Spasmed (lost all control of thier motor functions) and Dropped Sidious as Soon as the lightning Touched them - Yes Vader died afterwards but Many would been killed Instantly by the Lightning itself long before that......(to even tell their Son that he redeemed them )
Quote: Originally Posted by Barringer View Post
Tulak Hord is only an unknown because he killed anyone that has ever seen him fight.

Aurbere's Avatar


Aurbere
10.02.2012 , 10:24 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by fellblade View Post
This was a Very Nice and informative read - I know very little about post ROTJ Star Wars so I learned a few things here

One Thing that I've always found Interesting - is that people always use Sidious killing Vader with Force Lightning as proof of Vader's Extreme Vulnerability to it - However the Scene itself to me Shows Vader has a bit of RESISTANCE to it....

There is not One person that I have seen - that is actually HIT by Sidious' Lightning - that is not immediately Stunned, Knocked Back or Writhing in Agony ASIDE from Vader..... Even Yoda or Mace (Who was killed by it too - the ROTS novel seems to Indicate that Mace Was dead from the lightning before the impact of the fall)
Vader manged to pick Sidious up - Walk with Him While Receiveing a Constant barage of Lightning and then Throw him Down the Shaft....
Anybody else in that Situation would have Probably Spasmed (lost all control of thier motor functions) and Dropped Sidious as Soon as the lightning Touched them - Yes Vader died afterwards but Many would been killed Instantly by the Lightning itself long before that......(to even tell their Son that he redeemed them )
Exactly. Even Yoda was knocked back from the blast of Sidious' Force Lightning. Granted the Lightning coursing through Vader wasn't the most powerful Lightning he could summon, but it was enough to torture Luke Skywalker. Had Vader been weak to Lightning, it would have no doubt killed him. He was already weakened from the duel with Luke Skywalker, the Lightning would have killed him had he been weak to it.
Added Chapter 29 to The Shadows Fall
"Your only hope to survive is to give in to the rage boiling within you, to acknowledge the Dark Side you deny, and tap into it!"--Darth Tyranus