Opinion on 1.4 balance.

UGLYMRJ

Am over all happy, I feel like they fixed pts and mercs, the 2 biggest problems in 1.3. The powertech nerf seems huge as an assassin, although I would guess many don’t even notice (leapers). Merc healers got a bump, so hopefully some people will respec, have nothing more to say on mercs.. I would not expect more than one viable pvp spec per class really, operatives don’t complain…

Am worried about what they did to rage though. Have never thought a nerf to smashers was likely, however would never have guessed they would see the largest buff in the patch either. After the aoe lag/glitchiness is resolved if it exists.. will be interesting to see where it goes. Its undoubtedly very good now, kinda want to know if a jug or marauder build reaches the 100% preferred melee dps status.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First, I want to say that I would hate for this to turn into a massive wall of arguments. Balance is a matter of opinion and perspective. It is NOT fact. Of course there are certain things that are generally agreed on such as the Merc being at the bottom of the food chain, it doesn't necessarily make it fact. There are more Muslims on this planet than any other religion... Millions of people believe in the book of Mormon... it does not make either of them fact nor undeniably true. An extreme example but I would hope that some of you see my point.

So... to the point of this thread.

It is not intended for people to complain marauders are still OP, or that mercs are still under powered. But simply, I am curious if people think that 1.4 balance in PvP is better or worse than it was in 1. 3, and why.

Honestly im "this" close to cancelling account because of changes to 1.4

I play a commando in pvp and in huttaball matchs I cant even move!

All I get is stunned and tossed and stunned and dead

And its not enjoyable and there is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING I can do to improve my preformance because thats how the game is designed!

Ill probably just stop playing huttaball from now on until the movement impairment issues are removed (or were given a 15 sec immunity timer after having one done to us) and see from there but I dont think Ill be long for TOR if the cc issue created from 1.4 isnt fixed with a immunity timer.

Fed up watching EA screw around with a broken system that favors some classes over others (and then listening to those classes act like asses with their "L2P" nonsense)

Just tired of it all, seems EA moves farther and farther away from what everyone but a few suckups ask for every patch.

Changes to Black Hole are excellent and well done and about 3-4 months to late to really give EA any substancial credit for them.

Changes to PVP are pretty much game breakers for me (and im not one complaining about having a 10' stun myself, thats fine, no issue with that at all).

We need LESS CC in PVP, not more

And its not hard to acheive, simply put a 15 sec immunity timer after someone been movement impaired in any way!

Players will adapt and stop spaming these as iwin buttons as they currently used and start saving them for the right situation as any movement impairment should be. A SITUATIONAL RESPONCE, not a opening attack spam.

And lord forbid we then actually are able to fight back in pvp and not just stand there motionless till you die!

Im mad as hell right now after last Crapball match where I got targetted by opponents and wasnt allowed to even reach middle area with out being chain stunned and killed by 3 opponents for the entire game! Take out the stun part and I take someone with me and at least feel im able to fight back somewhat. Never had this happen before 1.4 but this is not the first time since 1.4. Stuns out of control and im just sick of the stupidity of it all.

Leave stun in and ill be leaving in near future most likely.

EA had long enough to screw around,

Now its time they did what WE HAVE BEEN ASKING FOR

I'm experiencing this too I think. I'm also having an issue where I will get knocked back and go for my force leap. I won't leap but the cooldown will fire. Then I'll run up and attack and I get the animation stutter and red text on the screen. Basically I have to Guardian Leap to a friendly to break the bug and keep fighting.

Anyone else?

As for balance feedback, I guess I am still feeling out the new capabilities of the other classes. It's awesome leaping to a consular and running behind them before they hit force wave - mwahaha!

Focus spec is insane right now. All I really cared about was the animation fix on Sweep. The other buffs are overkill. I am practically 3-shotting people.

CC seems fine - I haven't really noticed a big change.

That bug has been around since 1.3

Sadly, we yelled about this on PTS, and it fell on deaf ears. Last night I played a few rounds and teams would pair their Sorc/Oper and support each other, seldom every dying and demolishing the other team. Prior to this patch, a 'smart' sorc would self heal and tank nearly as well as a true tank. Now they can self heal and do more damage and out tank, tanks.

The players had to be good or at least know the tricks, but they would find the tank, keep it perpetually stunned, and kill it and move on to heal and damage, and then keep the next threat permanently stunned.

Being on the receiving side of this, I was amazed that on a Guardian with Immune to Stuns on Force Leap, that I spent over 40% of the game stunned.

There is also a real problem with damage mitigation, I died several times on a Guardian with Blade Storm Shield active having it mitigate nothing and still be active as I died, with a non DOT damage having killed me.

So for 1.4, fail.

In order to balance out the 'stun' issue, spending 10x as much time stunned in a match... Someone at Bioware doesn't do math well, and it is really not fun. Look forward to the next few days as people tune up their Operatives/Sages and roll over the other teams.

(I sometimes wonder with horrid changes like this if developers buy stock in other games, and shove out crap on purpose.)

This is just laughable - Sages/sorc are not even close to "overpowered". We got hit with the nerf bat post 1.2, most sages in dps spec were having to go hybrid in order to just survive. Healers were easy to focus down if you were smart enough to interupt their casts - which had their cast time nerfed.. All this patch has done for sage/sorc is a much needed slight buff to survivability in dps, and a decent boost to survivability in healing spec, which quite frankly was needed. We also lost 30 m on our ranged stun. What we got in buffs we recieved equally in nerfs. Have you ever played this class at top level? Do you know what the life of a sorcerer was like prior to this patch? Focused to death more often than not, bursty classes such as pts ruling the roost thinking that they are skilled when all the tactical nuance of the game had gone out the window post 1.2.

Post 1.2 was a massive band-aid to melee, 1.4 isnt much different for your class, so I don't know what you are complaining about. Stuns, control is what some classes live or die by and the last 4 months or so have been an absolute pain for sages and sorc, hence why you did not see so many performing at top level or in rateds comps.

Furthermore these changes do not do anything to our damage output or force resources in balance, they just help with survivabilty because of the changes to bubble mezz - which is needed when you lose a 360 knockback. Most sages in rated will stick with hybrid for the surviability it gives us which means they are taking a hit on dps, and healing sages will feel they are no longer a free kill so much ianymore - good, since we dont have any hard defesnive cooldowns anyway, they were better changes for healing sorc.

If your getting stunned a lot, tough, i have 0 sympathy - this game was just a gibfest before, it was "who could do the most damage", and it was just a procession of melee trains ganging up on classes that could do little about it. Now they have a few more tools to deal with the same situation.

Add to that your class is not exactly a class that is crying out for a buff right now, sorcerer healers never could heal themselves like a self-healing tank prior to this patch (sorry this is just ridiculous, learn to interupt? They never had any instant heals until now) - secondly you have cc immunity as one of your skills plus your cc breaker, I dont really see your point at all.

Your class and maras are still very potent in pvp, that you think that sorc and ops all of a sudden are going to roll all over the warzones is just hyperbole and not even close to reality.

Of course you want less cc in pvp, because that favours melee even more. Would be great if you had no cc, then you could smash people for 5-7k with impunity.

Am worried about what they did to rage though. Have never thought a nerf to smashers was likely, however would never have guessed they would see the largest buff in the patch either. After the aoe lag/glitchiness is resolved if it exists.. will be interesting to see where it goes. Its undoubtedly very good now, kinda want to know if a jug or marauder build reaches the 100% preferred melee dps status.

Says it all.

Ill probably just stop playing huttaball from now on until the movement impairment issues are removed (or were given a 15 sec immunity timer after having one done to us) and see from there but I dont think Ill be long for TOR if the cc issue created from 1.4 isnt fixed with a immunity timer.

We need LESS CC in PVP, not more

And its not hard to acheive, simply put a 15 sec immunity timer after someone been movement impaired in any way!

Players will adapt and stop spaming these as iwin buttons as they currently used and start saving them for the right situation as any movement impairment should be. A SITUATIONAL RESPONCE, not a opening attack spam.

And lord forbid we then actually are able to fight back in pvp and not just stand there motionless till you die!

Im mad as hell right now after last Crapball match where I got targetted by opponents and wasnt allowed to even reach middle area with out being chain stunned and killed by 3 opponents for the entire game! Take out the stun part and I take someone with me and at least feel im able to fight back somewhat. Never had this happen before 1.4 but this is not the first time since 1.4. Stuns out of control and im just sick of the stupidity of it all.

Leave stun in and ill be leaving in near future most likely.

EA had long enough to screw around,

Now its time they did what WE HAVE BEEN ASKING FOR

Your suggestion would completley break the game, and is ridiculous (no offense).

15 second immunity - do you not think that is pretty excessive? You need 15 seconds to kill someone? That is not gonna happen in anyones life-tim and if it did, every right-minded pvper would unsub.

Edited by PloGreen

Actually I'm kind of happy with this patch, there are still some things missing but I think it doesn't look bad.

I personally have at level 50 a Shadow (Warlord), Powertech (Conqueror) and Juggernaut (War Hero). Here my two cents:

- Mara/Jugger Rage: well, yes. It's so damn easy to play and you can do A LOT of damage... OP? Well, Marauders were already a bit too much (not talking about nerf, please don't missunderstand) with their defensives CDs, I used to kill them before and I still kill them now (not every single time, but fortunatelly, this is a 8 vs 8 game so I really don't care if I can't 1 vs 1 one or 2 classes as soon as I can do my job). However I still think that they have many defensive CDs for the damage they do... and a perfect example is the Juggernaut itself. It does a lot of damage, it can even do little more than a Mara, but if it gets focused a Rage Jugger dies in 2 stuns... that's it. We all now that Mara can do to survive so I will not going into it. Nerf Rage already? Uuuum let's wait, the only WZs I'm doing insane damage it's the ones where healers try to cast their heals while I'm finising my Ravage together with my force crush on them... while their tank is attacking my healer? o.O

- Powertechs: I love the nerf, I really do. AP it is not just more fun to play, if you've read the previous point, now think about that sweet 30% damage reduction to AoE damage and that 30% damage reduction while stunned... yes please, Warriors and Kinghts I want to ALL to play Rage/Focus!

- Shadow: I like the changes, I feel I can play again as a "Lone Wolf" and at the same time, now I can participate in the fight when needed instead of being affraid of getting killed without being targeted ¬¬ Also the shadow strike, it's pretty daaaamn good.

I'm not going to talk about other classes because I do not play them at level 50 and I don't think I can say anything better than somebody who plays those classes.

About the TTK...meh, I don't think it has change that much, it depends on the party you have and the party you play against. Even if it's shorter, I don't think is that important for WZs, I have won many WZ where my team does a max of 10 kills while the other team does 40, 50, 38 etc etc... the only WZ really affected by that is Novare Coast, because everything it's pretty far there and the faster you kill, the better. You can win Alderaan, Voidstar and Huttbal almost killing noone (I don't say every single time, but it is possible) if you have tanks, heals and GOOD dps stealthers. Again, it's my personal opinion.

Cheers

Been working on my lowbie sin (deception). I had shelved my 50 shadow, infiltration just didn't click for me. I'm all about stealth classes in MMOs. Moving about unseen, choosing your battles. Nothing like intercepting a ball the enemy team was trying to throw away :D

At any rate. The reduced CD on Force cloak is very nice, and I love the entropic field change. Don't have force shroud yet, but I still feel pretty tough in my cloth armor. The legion of lolsweepers/lolsmashers can be tough to deal with as meele, but not impossible.

Been working on my lowbie sin (deception). I had shelved my 50 shadow, infiltration just didn't click for me. I'm all about stealth classes in MMOs. Moving about unseen, choosing your battles. Nothing like intercepting a ball the enemy team was trying to throw away :D

At any rate. The reduced CD on Force cloak is very nice, and I love the entropic field change. Don't have force shroud yet, but I still feel pretty tough in my cloth armor. The legion of lolsweepers/lolsmashers can be tough to deal with as meele, but not impossible.

Uhhh... infiltration = deception fyi...

Its like saying Pyrotech PT sucks *** and never worked for me but Assult VG works great.

Gunnery commando sucks but Arsenal Merc is fine.

Sharpshooter Gunslinger is underpowered, Marksman Sniper works great.

Rage Juggernaut blows, Focus Guardian is teh pwn.

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Edited by warultima

But simply, I am curious if people think that 1.4 balance in PvP is better or worse than it was in 1. 3, and why.

I'll tell you right now, I'm going to be at least partially biased -- I'm a healer. For the meta-game, I am glad to see that classes being made viable. While some classes are arguably strong presently, everyone should be able to contribute with their skills in essentially every (full) spec in a meaningful way. There are a few stragglers who still need some help, I think, but the improvements to stealthers and the rework of Trooper/Bounty Hunter Assault/Pyro has brought value back to these classes (the latter change I think was really clever -- Vanguard does more burst as Assault but are limited to 10m for most of their attacks; Commando has less of the burst but has 30m range).

Beyond that, at least on my server, a great deal of the imbalance I think is AC-distribution. On Jedi Covenant, for instance, there is a terrible over-abundance of Inquisitors (and Warriors, but you'll see a team of Inquisitors before a team of Warriors). IMO, too much of any class is going to be overpowered. I remember playing a team of 5 Snipers in Huttball. They sucked at carrying the ball but were an unstoppable defense. Doesn't make the class OP - but the number of them was obnoxious. So, at least on my server, where there was already a bunch of Assassains (which is a frontrunner in among the classes best at controlling a player) these changes have made them wickedly powerful. I'm still undecided as to whether or not they may be bordering on too strong (damage-wise).

As for the changes to CC, I'm still undecided. I'm a healer, so it's hard to say if too much is too much. Realistically, if you have proper support, the stunlock shouldn't matter. I'll most likely base my opinion on it on how the changes affect rateds, since I think that's the best stage for testing whether or not the new resolve system works or needs tuning in the other direction.

Uhhh... infiltration = deception fyi...

Its like saying Pyrotech PT sucks *** and never worked for me but Assult VG works great.

Gunnery commando sucks but Arsenal Merc is fine.

Sharpshooter Gunslinger is underpowered, Marksman Sniper works great.

Rage Juggernaut blows, Focus Guardian is teh pwn.

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

I know that, I was referring to before the patch. For whatever reason, I really couldn't do well with the spec. Now i'm able to pull my weight at least.