Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

50 PvP Tanking: What are our best survival options?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
50 PvP Tanking: What are our best survival options?

BigGoatBR
09.22.2012 , 09:25 AM | #11
Yes, absorption is high because of BM War Leaders set. I haven't started changing mods yet.

Your hp seems a bit low though. I'm thinking about more endurance, but yes, I will give up all that absorption at some point.

Expertise is around 1000. I see you have a high surge too, I've read about how surge rating gets more benefit than critical chance. I'm going to stack some Surge Augments and see if it helps, but I won't focus on offensive stats just yet.

Thanks!

Ridickilis
09.22.2012 , 09:46 AM | #12
Yeah my endurance is on the low side but I do have more vindicator pieces than war leader and I haven't augmented yet.

I basically looked for surge and defense pieces on the war hero stuff and crit/power and surge on the vindicator. I have swapped a few mods around, mostly swapping out accuracy for more defense/surge/power.

Molltor
09.26.2012 , 06:36 AM | #13
This http://watchmen.activeboard.com/t501...hole-guardian/ provides some excellent information on Guardian PvP tanking.

You'll find the thread stickied in the Guardian section of the Jedi Knight Class Forum.
Its never the How, the Who or the Where, the most important question is always the When.

Ridickilis
09.26.2012 , 07:25 AM | #14
^That is an excellent, well written guide. No doubt. The only problem with it is it's for pve tanking, not pvp. The sheer fact that he mentions shield and absorb coupled with the 31 point defense build and the two hybrid builds that are defense tree heavy, tells me this. I have tried all those builds, there is no extra survivability going that route and you are still crippled offensively.

Quantri
09.26.2012 , 08:15 AM | #15
On my Assassin i carry 2 separate gear sets. One is full DPS and one is full tank. I only use the tank gear on huttball as ball carrier and sometimes when defending on voidstar when staying alive a few seconds extra is more important than doing a lot more damage.

The tank gear is shield chance/absorb focused. I do get 60%+ shield chance and absorb (with that 15% buff). If I have a pocket healer I can stay alive for a while.

An example against rail shot. Rail shot does about 2000 damage after damage reduction etc. Say the PT has 40% critical chance and +80% critical damage, he will do 3600 damage 40% of the time and 2000 damage 60% of the time. If i have 60% shield chance and 65% shield absorb he will still do 3600 damage 40% of the time, but only 700 damage the other 60%.

SgtBranham
09.26.2012 , 08:40 AM | #16
Juggernaut Tanks are very strong. Mine is sitting at 25.9k Hitpoints and ~32% defense, and ~1120 expertise. Yeah i know the expertise is low but no one attacks me unless i am the last person alive (doesn't affect damage coming though guard anyways) or i have the ball in Huttball and even then i can take a pretty big pounding.

I run a Immortal/Veng Hybrid (27/12, 2x) build. Unstoppable is just too good no to have. I have both tier one set bonuses from Vindicator and War Hero (fully augmented)

I have great control over the battlefield. Between push, Choke, backhand, AoE Slow, and AoE mezz, i can really slow down DPS and i can be a butt pain for a healer trying to heal. Mobility is 2nd to none as the class can fly all over the battlefield and leap to and fro, traveling where needed.

Enraged defense heals for ~700 a tick (so around 7000) if your being attacked and intercede with Vindicator set bonus heals me for 2065,. This really keeps me going in battle and making them last a lot longer. Warzone Medpacs heal for alittle over 9k and if you pop Endure pain this puts it in the high 11k range.

This means that in a single fight with someone to leap to i effectively have 25900base+7000(enraged)+2000 (intercede)+7770(endure pain)+11780(wz medpack) = 54,500 HP. This doesn't include my other cooldowns of 10 sec of 40% DR or 10 sec of 50% defense (bringing total up to ~82%.

I have defended nodes and watched people run toward it, see it was me, and then turn around because they knew it wasn't worth it and that they couldn't take it before help arrived.

We are probably the worst at dealing damage no doubt but what we lack there we make up in overall utility.

Ridickilis
09.26.2012 , 08:56 AM | #17
meh, nvm/not worth it.

Molltor
09.26.2012 , 08:57 AM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Ridickilis View Post
^That is an excellent, well written guide. No doubt. The only problem with it is it's for pve tanking, not pvp. The sheer fact that he mentions shield and absorb coupled with the 31 point defense build and the two hybrid builds that are defense tree heavy, tells me this. I have tried all those builds, there is no extra survivability going that route and you are still crippled offensively.
The guide is not for pve. Read the entire post, not just snippets where shield/absorb are mentioned. Which if you read it again, you'll see it says dont stack either of those stats. Also, it states not to use the 31point build.

Essentially, the guide covers Stats, Gearing and what the Playstyle of a PvP tank should be.
Its never the How, the Who or the Where, the most important question is always the When.

SgtBranham
09.26.2012 , 10:38 AM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Molltor View Post
The guide is not for pve. Read the entire post, not just snippets where shield/absorb are mentioned. Which if you read it again, you'll see it says dont stack either of those stats. Also, it states not to use the 31point build.

Essentially, the guide covers Stats, Gearing and what the Playstyle of a PvP tank should be.
Exactly what this guy said. For a Jug, Endurance is the most important stat, followed by Defense. nothing makes you feel all warm and fuzzy as when a rail shot misses or a leap from another warrior class.

BigGoatBR
09.28.2012 , 07:48 PM | #20
SgtBranham, Did you change any mods in your war hero set? Also, how is your Vindicator/War Leader ratio right now?

Thanks for all the info and contribution guys.