Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

SWTOR Is No Longer Supported By Most Sites

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content
SWTOR Is No Longer Supported By Most Sites

Styxx
09.27.2012 , 12:00 AM | #21
Quote:
I am tired of it. SWTOR did not fail the players. EA and a segment of players failed SWTOR. And that segment of players is failing the industry and will be making it impossible for a AAA game to get VC money within two years, I suspect. It's not a pretty picture in the industry right now.
Say what? Do you mean the same players, used as a general term, that thrown tantrums back in the days of Modern Warfare 2`s days and lack of dedicated servers, only to buy ALL OTHER new iterations of the game and make it THE best selling game around? Those players?

Or EA that has given Bioware pretty much complete freedom? AND a huge check?

No, sir, you can`t put this onto the player`s or Publisher`s shoulders...
Quote: Originally Posted by John Riccitiello View Post
When you are six hours into playing Battlefield and you run out of ammo in your clip, and we ask you for a dollar to reload, you're really not very price sensitive at that point in time...We're not gouging, but we're charging.

hages
09.27.2012 , 12:22 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by shava View Post
Actually upon thinking on it further, I had to respond to this more thoughtfully.

The sites you are talking about are, I think except for DarthHater (which is Curse, Inc. which is a multi-national dotcom, 19mil hits a month) all at best semi-pro and mostly all fan sites. Fan sites are ephemeral in many games.

SWTOR is in the news every day by the professional games press, for good or ill.

If the games press were an old-style journalism sort of thing, without comment streams, SWTOR's coverage would probably look much better than it does. However, comment streams make every AAA game out there look like crap, particularly the ones that don't have very crafty and clever social media folks who are both very adept and close to the fans. EA/Bioware seem to just have money at the corporate level, and do neither of those other things all that well.

But the current fashion in MMORPGs is that a vocal minority of gamers who love to guild up and raid -- let's call them the Piranhas -- dominate the social media metagame of the online world of MMOs. They spend all their free time that they are not gaming on Twitter, in comment streams, filing scathing reviews on Metacritic, you name it. Their hobby is to be gaming hipsters, essentially -- to see how snarkily and cuttingly they can shred a game to show off how sophisticated a gamer they are among their leet peers.

These are the armchair generals of MMOs.

So as a game emerges from pre-beta, these guys (and they are by vast majority male IRL) are scoping it like Fantasy Football dudes evaluating draft picks. They start talking about how it is or isn't like WOW, how it's prospects are to be F2P or why it will suck before the company publishes any terms at all. A cinematic trailer at E3 will erupt a crapstorm of vitriol. A change of devs will start doomsaying avalanches. A choice of distribution channels. From a bunch of idiots who really at root know zip about running a business. They mostly just like to listen to each other mouth off wise.

So when head start comes or beta or pre-beta, these guys descend like the school of piranha. They will get in as soon as possible. They will insist on top of the art graphics, performance, story, content, support -- but they will SKIP all of the two years of content that the devs put into the game.

Within two days, they have raced each other to level cap, where they will be ************ to the universe about how:
  1. It's too easy to get to level cap
  2. there weren't enough side quests even though they didn't stop to smell the npcs along the way
  3. the story (which they didn't read) sucked
  4. the end game is grindy and too much *and* not enough like WOW

And at this point, with all the variations on the theme (I'm sure you can come up with all the rest) they will call on the producers and the devs to have a summit with all the guild leaders to fix the doomed game, because only they can save the game. They will travel to Iceland or Austin or something, drink themselves silly, insult the female gender in any way they can in the majority, further confuse and ruin the game for crafters, roleplayers, people who like story, people who *do* spend time on content and so on, and then upon returning to the game and the forums, say no one listened to them....

And leave to destroy the next game.

I am tired of it. SWTOR did not fail the players. EA and a segment of players failed SWTOR. And that segment of players is failing the industry and will be making it impossible for a AAA game to get VC money within two years, I suspect. It's not a pretty picture in the industry right now.

/* retired game CEO and VP Marketing/Bizdev */
I agree with youre post. Cannot say more. We have 4 raids now, a lot of fp's, 4 wz, groupfinder,... and still people are complaining??? To me this game has alot to offer. The only thing i will hope to get soon is some real story update. But for the rest i am happy to play this game.
nothings as good as an cold cold beer...and swtor to play drunk

Nemmar
09.27.2012 , 09:50 AM | #23
Not to worry. Beeing that GW2 is a bland experience, those people will either return to SWTOR or WoW soon. If they havent already.

msuspartan
09.27.2012 , 10:42 AM | #24
Shava hit the nail on the head.
I have been gaming longer than most on this website (or even alive for that matter.
When I started D&D was about it and Avalon Hill. They complained about D&D not having enough content so the expanded and expanded. I have never played an online game until this one and I have seen both sides of the coin.

BUT...I hear a tremendous amount of complaining and B***HING because this is not done or that is not perfect.
In a game as large as this, with as many worlds, quests, npc's missions, Flashpoints, PVE AND PVP AND RPG you would think people would pull their selfish heads out of their backsides and be a bit more patient.

The problem is BW and EA have other games, missions etc and YET they keep coming out with content. It may not be what YOU want but it is coming. If they listened to ALL of you there would be NO content as it would be overwhelming. I have been playing for 8 months and I still love the game. Is it PERFECT?..NO, but will it improve?...YES.

Here is a hint...instead of whining, complaining, telling everyone what is wrong, try a detailed message to BW/EA and flesh out an idea. You know something? When you keep cutting down something, it starts to sour in others minds and any new people will look at this game and choose something else. Thus denying people a wonderful game and adventure.

If you think you have a better game, SUCK IT UP, PUT ON YOUR BIG GIRL PANTIES and THEN DESIGN IT YOURSELF!!!!!!
I thank BW and EA for a great game from the lowest person to the head designer. I am still having fun and if you are NOT then leave and SHUT YOUR PIE-HOLE.

Many here are worse than two 5 y.o's fighting over a truck when there are ten more trucks behind them.
BW and EA have some work to do still but be constructive and work with them but much of the blame lies on trollers and small minded people that will destroy ANY game because it is not absolutely perfect or what THEY think is perfect.

I know this my rant and rant I did so think next time. The people here are the main reason this will or will not fail. Give BW a reason to continue, not fail.

Cheers, DonK

DarthEccen
09.27.2012 , 11:33 AM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by shava View Post
Actually upon thinking on it further, I had to respond to this more thoughtfully.

The sites you are talking about are, I think except for DarthHater (which is Curse, Inc. which is a multi-national dotcom, 19mil hits a month) all at best semi-pro and mostly all fan sites. Fan sites are ephemeral in many games.

SWTOR is in the news every day by the professional games press, for good or ill.

If the games press were an old-style journalism sort of thing, without comment streams, SWTOR's coverage would probably look much better than it does. However, comment streams make every AAA game out there look like crap, particularly the ones that don't have very crafty and clever social media folks who are both very adept and close to the fans. EA/Bioware seem to just have money at the corporate level, and do neither of those other things all that well.

But the current fashion in MMORPGs is that a vocal minority of gamers who love to guild up and raid -- let's call them the Piranhas -- dominate the social media metagame of the online world of MMOs. They spend all their free time that they are not gaming on Twitter, in comment streams, filing scathing reviews on Metacritic, you name it. Their hobby is to be gaming hipsters, essentially -- to see how snarkily and cuttingly they can shred a game to show off how sophisticated a gamer they are among their leet peers.

These are the armchair generals of MMOs.

So as a game emerges from pre-beta, these guys (and they are by vast majority male IRL) are scoping it like Fantasy Football dudes evaluating draft picks. They start talking about how it is or isn't like WOW, how it's prospects are to be F2P or why it will suck before the company publishes any terms at all. A cinematic trailer at E3 will erupt a crapstorm of vitriol. A change of devs will start doomsaying avalanches. A choice of distribution channels. From a bunch of idiots who really at root know zip about running a business. They mostly just like to listen to each other mouth off wise.

So when head start comes or beta or pre-beta, these guys descend like the school of piranha. They will get in as soon as possible. They will insist on top of the art graphics, performance, story, content, support -- but they will SKIP all of the two years of content that the devs put into the game.

Within two days, they have raced each other to level cap, where they will be ************ to the universe about how:
  1. It's too easy to get to level cap
  2. there weren't enough side quests even though they didn't stop to smell the npcs along the way
  3. the story (which they didn't read) sucked
  4. the end game is grindy and too much *and* not enough like WOW

And at this point, with all the variations on the theme (I'm sure you can come up with all the rest) they will call on the producers and the devs to have a summit with all the guild leaders to fix the doomed game, because only they can save the game. They will travel to Iceland or Austin or something, drink themselves silly, insult the female gender in any way they can in the majority, further confuse and ruin the game for crafters, roleplayers, people who like story, people who *do* spend time on content and so on, and then upon returning to the game and the forums, say no one listened to them....

And leave to destroy the next game.

/* retired game CEO and VP Marketing/Bizdev */
I want to thank you for hitting the nail on the head.

DarthEccen
09.27.2012 , 11:50 AM | #26
You know what I don't get? The general player community seemed to expect SWTOR to kill WOW right out of the gates. And that seems silly to me. Drawing on all the old arguments from when the first game launched: This is Bioware's first MMO, SWTOR had one of the smoothest MMO launches in the history of....... MMOs. And so far, Bioware has released more content in a year for this game than they have for any of their more critically acclaimed console titles.

And the vast majority of the player community abandoned SWTOR, for various reasons (good and bad), way back in March. And that created a whole slew of problems. The hundred or so extra servers that were quickly released to cope with expanding server populations were suddenly left just about empty, basically killing the economy for hundreds of thousands of players. And ignorant people on the forums cried and blamed Bioware for the problem.

Then when Bioware tried to correct the problem via server merges (fixing population issues and hopefully kickstarting the crafting economy again for everyone) most of the game community had a fit over name changes, as if, like, it really was the end of the world for the SWTOR community.

And this is all on top of releasing four major updates to date (bringing a heavy amount of content for ONE year), tweaking classes continuously (in some cases significantly), and promising more to come before the end of the year. You cannot seriously convince me that SWTOR's biggest problems haven't been caused by the players. If anything, I'd say SWTOR's biggest crisis times have been a direct result OF the players.

Tim-ONeil
09.27.2012 , 01:59 PM | #27
I actually run my own site http://followtheforce.net . Pre-launch we had a lot of good up to date information and this continued until changes in 1.1. People simply have no idea the time that is taken to do something like this or the extreme amount of information a game like this contains. We have a quest guide from level 1-20 and that took me about 3 weeks to do that.

My site is add free and I did it as a fun project. As time goes on people are less likely to contribute and in my case I'm not going to drop 3-4 hours of my nightly free-time to update it. I'd rather PLAY the game.

TORhead is probably your best resource. I've never found an issue with the stuff contained there, your comments about the site have no merit. I don't go there to see people's comments or use their forum, I use their database.

And btw, if you actually checked yourself you'd see the 1.4 items are updated and in their database.
Jainā Tīm Korben Leeloo
Thana Maleficent Thrawn Dr. Horrible
The Dallas Legacy Server: Jedi Covenent US/EAST

Elendius
09.27.2012 , 02:19 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by LibertySol View Post
It's the biggest failure in gaming history (maybe entertainment history).
Not by a long shot. Final Fantasy XIV is pretty hard to top when it comes to MMO failures.

AbsolutGrndZero
09.27.2012 , 02:21 PM | #29
The problem with TORhead is that WoWhead's content is uploaded via a Addon/ MOD. So it's quick and easy. Any information on TorHead has to be gathered by the creators of the website as SWtOR doesn't yet allow mods.

As for "No longer supported" I'd say if you look at their data, they mostly quit supporting it in beta, as did most of the other sites (Though as mentioned, TORhead seems to be updating more)
The Babylon Legacy
Harbinger
Racquel, Stancerry, Jennica, Porcelain

Tim-ONeil
09.27.2012 , 03:05 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by AbsolutGrndZero View Post
As for "No longer supported" I'd say if you look at their data, they mostly quit supporting it in beta, as did most of the other sites (Though as mentioned, TORhead seems to be updating more)
And btw, if you actually checked yourself you'd see the 1.4 items are updated and in their database.

Stop making assumptions.
Jainā Tīm Korben Leeloo
Thana Maleficent Thrawn Dr. Horrible
The Dallas Legacy Server: Jedi Covenent US/EAST