Updates at six week intervals per Bioware

Jett-Rinn

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm amazed that people think that just because EA/Bioware would commit to a schedule of any kind that this somehow means that they can mark on their calendar exactly when an update will be out. As if it is somehow now carved into the very fabric of the universe. Then kick, scream, and whine like babies when it either doesn't come out on that exact date/time or claim that they were lied to.

Just like when you tell your friend that you'll be at his house at 4pm for his BBQ but don't get there until 5pm, you commited to a schedule. Sometimes, things are late. Get over it.

Except that EA/Bioware has been constantly making hyped up false promises since before launch, and haven't quite made good on any of them. Everything is terribly late, and when it finally comes out it is very buggy and often times just disappointing.

When you commit to a schedule (and that is what EA/Bioware is doing by statements like these) and dont meet it, people naturally expect something better than semi-complete buggy rehashed content.

People are'nt whining about things taking 6 weeks and 1 day to come. they are making noise because they amke a commitment, and then when the pseudo-deadline appears EA/Bioware backtrack with their famous "soon" and take a few more weeks to release the promised content - only to find that it is sub par and does not live up to all the hype and promises

They said Makeb is a continuation of the Class story. They can also expand our Class Story in Ilum, which actually is non existent in that planet. We have a Planet Story there.

And may be mix it up with some Imp Planets for Reps and other way round.

SAD is that at launch the promised an update to our story in March.... :mad:

I know they have other problems and so, but I really hope they put it on together at some point.

They said Makeb is a continuation of the Class story. They can also expand our Class Story in Ilum, which actually is non existent in that planet. We have a Planet Story there.

And may be mix it up with some Imp Planets for Reps and other way round.

SAD is that at launch the promised an update to our story in March.... :mad:

I know they have other problems and so, but I really hope they put it on together at some point.

I've heard both.

No class stories on Makeb. They have said as much, many times.

Where did they say that ?!?

And in the interview that is linked, nothing new is said: "Well we're committed to about every six weeks, doing a major update for the game -- which would be a new warzone, a new operation, a new flashpoint, a new event -- and to doing that on a really frequent cadence, every six weeks.".

They said months ago that they will put out new content every 6 weeks, it's the offical PR-message they are sending out. Ofcourse, they don't actually DO that, but it is the official PR-message for months now.

To their merit.. and I don`t say this often.. they DID choices that mattered with companions, at least, in Beta. Problem was.. idiots were killing them "for the lulz", then crying about no tank or healer, so they took away choice and made them... unkillable :)

I would do it differently if I were them. If you kill off your tank companion and want it back, you got to do some sort of questline to get him to re-appear.

Edited by Yogol

If the 1 and 1.5 year marks go by without word on an xpac then we know we're in for a bleak slow ride into oblivion.

I bet you a cookie that they will add new levels before these marks. Else, this game is dead as an MMO and they know it.

Meaningful story updates are probably reserved for expansions at this stage. With B2P they can sorta be marketed as standalone rpg experience even to people who quit.

Ofc time will tell the level of commitment BW/EA still have to this game... If the 1 and 1.5 year marks go by without word on an xpac then we know we're in for a bleak slow ride into oblivion.

A bit of content every 6 weeks is all well and good but honestly, it's not enough when competition is pumping out large scale expansions. Those are the major milestones in a games life and more than anything symbolize that a game is alive. I want to see the galaxy evolve like azeroth did, not just a wz and a fp/ops every 2 months.

azeroth? where we have been killing the same king or dragon over and over for almost a year? where content from vanilla is rehashed 2 expansions later? where the first tiers ingame re-appear as 'endgame content' 3 expansions later?

I wish people would read between the lines when the devs say "content every six weeks".......you know what this actually means? It means "we are going to struggle to have ANYTHING major to add every 6 weeks SO we will fill up the cartel store with fluff and call that content, including slots/transfers and respecs......" dime time is coming, I will bookmark this post so I can claim bragging rights when Im proven right :). Edited by Redat

You REALLY believe that we will have new content every 6 weeks? lal

First they said that we will have it after launch, then we were supposed to have new content updates "month after month" when 1.2 launched. Just pointing that out :)

• Dev Post
I talked to Principal Lead Systems Designer Damion Schubert about the concern being expressed in this thread that story will not be important in our future Game Updates. He wanted to reassure everyone that story will continue to be an important part of Star Wars: The Old Republic in any efforts that we make going forward. Bioware is built upon making the best story-based gameplay we possibly can, and that philosophy has always been a cornerstone of SWTOR's design - that won't be changing. We'll have more details as we're able to share them. Edited by AllisonBerryman

:mad:

Other than that, thank you for the reassurance Ms. Berryman. Can we have some confirmation on whether or not Makeb will have continuation of class stories is will it be the arc of the galactic war?

They stated a while back that Makeb will not have class storylines, only a planet storyline.

I talked to Principal Lead Systems Designer Damion Schubert about the concern being expressed in this thread that story will not be important in our future Game Updates. He wanted to reassure everyone that story will continue to be an important part of Star Wars: The Old Republic in any efforts that we make going forward. Bioware is built upon making the best story-based gameplay we possibly can, and that philosohpy has always ben a cornerstone of SWTOR's design - that won't be changing. We'll have more details as we're able to share them.

Allison,

Respectfully you dodged the question. We are fully confident that we will see "story". Makeb will have story. The major concern is "personal story". I for one am not looking forward to a "dry spell" of 5 levels with no story if Makeb is designed for 5 levels of play ( the prposed range of level cap increase ) and no continuation of my Imperial Agents story (as an example). That is the question to take back to Mr. Schubert for which we need an answer.

When will we see "chapter 4", "chapter 5", etc ...?

Make sense? :cool:

They stated a while back that Makeb will not have class storylines, only a planet storyline.

Okie dokie :) I just wish people would stop using the phrase "going forward", there are so many other ways of saying you're going to be doing something in the future.

I think they should go faster intervals, considering we had no new content for 6 months.

1.3 had no content at all. So I hope it will be 3 - 4 weeks and content especially the promised and much waited one, as EC Nightmare, New WZ, Space Mission, HK-51, New Dailies in Belsavis, Makeb, and new Nightmare Mechanics for EV and KP.

Are you sure it is a 5 level cap? I see the gear and I think last tier of this gear will be 65, so I imagine that will be the final level before an expansion comes. May be late next year.

The current Operational story will need 2 more Opps after TFB, until u meet the Dread Lords and story is closed.

All Opps for those that don't know are story related as well, with Dread Masters and the Gree.

It could be worse.. it could be "Soon™"

this gives me flashbacks to when i was playing phantasy star universe on the na servers my false promise detector is pretty sensitive from that experience.

as a note we had

soon=at least as two months

very soon=at least a month

very very=soon next patch

and the dreaded "in future updates"=never