Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

tankin advice

eleusiszero
08.23.2012 , 04:27 PM | #1
hi being new to playing MMO'S and trying to understand all roles within the game could i ask you kind people to explain your defanition of the tank role and how you should play this on mission as i thought the main point was for the tank to be the main damage dealer attackin the lities or am i compleatly wide of the mark on this. cheers to anyone willing to help a noobie find his way

grallmate
08.23.2012 , 05:17 PM | #2
The role of the tank is to control the fight. You control where the damage is going and work to minimize incoming damage as much as possible. Your tools to achieve this are: threat, taunts, guard, CDs (Cool Downs), mitigation and stuns. You team assists with mezzes, stuns and threat drops.

In effect, mobs should be attacking you while DPS kill them and the healer keeps you alive. You want to keep the biggest mobs on you and DPS should kill weak -> strong. Your mitigation stats reduce your incoming damage and you have stuns and CDs to help bring it down even further. Stunned mobs deal no damage and CDs reduce incoming damage from all mobs.

DPS/Healers can mezz enemies to take them out of combat for 60 seconds. A mezz (also called CC) is a long term stun that breaks on damage. Ideally you want your party to CC the biggest mobs in a pull or ones that heal or deal very high damage. You can mark them or let your party pick their targets, either is fine as long as you aren't wiping. When a mob is CCed you want to make sure you are fighting away from the CCed enemy so you (and more often: the DPS) don't accidentally break CC with an AoE attack.

As a tank you will deal low damage but it will be modified by your tank stance to generate a high amount of threat. If you lose threat on a mob you can taunt to get threat back. Guard will also reduce the threat the guarded player puts out by 25%. You want to guard whoever your highest DPS is to reduce the chance of them pulling aggro off you.

Until you get the hang of it, its worth whispering your healer that you are a fairly new tank and asking if they can let you know if they see you doing anything wrong. Be open to feedback, even negative feedback, it will help you improve. I would also recommend reading a few of the guides in Class Forums and the Tanking Forum. TankingTOR (www.tankingtor.com) also has some excellent guides on tanking including a very useful video guide for Guardian/Jugg tanking.

Capt_Beers
08.24.2012 , 08:40 AM | #3
Here are few pointers I can give you I learned form healing tanks, or rather things tanks do that I wish they didn't:

- Believe it or not you're not invincible. I know with my 6k cri t heals coming in it seems like but you're not. Heal up before the next pull. This is for a couple of reasons 1) My resource pool is limited. I can't use very CD every time we pull something. 2) I will die. If you are running around at 65% health and I'm trying to heal you on the run with my jesus beam once you pull, everything you didn't hit will now be attacking me since healing generates threat. So take a second before you leap over there to heal up/let me heal you before the pull. Speaking of leaps...

- I don't have one. So when you're at close to max range on my beam and then you max range leap into a mob with the combat speed loss it's gonna be a while before I'm back in range. During this time you and the DPS will be getting beat on without heals. The only class you may be able to get away with this is Sages because they have Force Speed, although they probably won't be to happy about burning their get away card to save you from yourself. on the other hand...

- If we are standing next to each other and I'm healing you please don't Force Pull/Grapple anything over to me. As I mentioned above all that guys friends now have me as a target and on some pulls, the first one in Maelstrom comes to mind, he probably has a lot of friends.

- Noticed this on my Shadow. Please let me CC things. If you have a DPS Shadow go stealth and start walking up to the mob he is going to Mind Maze (mezz, or a stun that breaks on damage) someone, probably the strongest one. I can only use this ability out of combat so once you leap/pull or whatever I can't use it. Also don't attack the guy I just CC'd.

- Guard. There is a healthy amount of debate about who to guard but I will say guard who needs it. If you have a rock star DPS pulling aggro off of you guard them. If not guard the healer. Someone will probably say this is wrong but whatever.

- Mark targets and declare the kill order. If you don't know which order to go in ask. If you do let everyone know. focus fire is the best way to down mobs so everyone is off doing their own thing you're really going to stress out the healer.

Hope that helps. Most of these tips can be accomplished by thinking before any pull where is my healer? Tanks and healers are best buds. You shouldn't be wandering around without me and I sure as hell don't want to be wandering around with out you. Keep the healer alive and safe I will return the favor.
<HVND> <MALEVOLENT>
Keef-Stone 60 Serenity | | Keets-Stone 60 Seer | | Keith-Stone 60 Combat Medic | | Keeth-Stone 60 Vigilance
Keet-Stone 55 Focus | | CaptBeers 60 Arsenal | | Kee'th 60 Pyrotech | | FOTM-Reroll 55 Tactics

eleusiszero
08.24.2012 , 09:26 AM | #4
cheers guys this was very helpful

mikebevo
08.24.2012 , 09:36 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by grallmate View Post
DPS/Healers can mezz enemies to take them out of combat for 60 seconds. A mezz (also called CC) is a long term stun that breaks on damage. I
As a healer, I have pretty much quit CCing anything with my sawbones in PUG HM FP. Too often someone will pull before I put down a CC and then take too much damage without using a defensive cooldown. Which leaves me standing in the middle of the mob throwing out a big heal that draws aggro from everyone and their dog. If the group knows what they are doing no big deal, but usually the go attack the elite and leave me to fend for myself. As my shadow, I still do, donít care if they pull early as I know to kill the weak first and then make my way up the food chain.

I will also say if you CC a weak. I will kill the others around it, but then I will kill the CC before running across the room. They are one or two hits at most, so it is a waste of time for me to leave them to later. Someone yelled at me the other day about that in a HM FP and I had killed the weak with one hit force breach before hitting force speed to get the 3 on the other side. They stopped fighting and yelled at me for 5 mins well at least that is what the Tank told me. I put the person on my ignore list right away and then put them on my main healers list too.

Quote: Originally Posted by Capt_Beers View Post
- If we are standing next to each other and I'm healing you please don't Force Pull/Grapple anything over to me. As I mentioned above all that guys friends now have me as a target and on some pulls, the first one in Maelstrom comes to mind, he probably has a lot of friends..
This is where the Tanks needs to know the different classes of healers. As a Sawbones, I actually like pulling them into my lap. Always love dirty kick, but more important because it is an actual class mechanic, up close and personal means pistol whip that grants Upper Hand, real easy way to keep UH stacked is being up close and personal.

Capt_Beers
08.24.2012 , 10:07 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by mikebevo View Post
This is where the Tanks needs to know the different classes of healers. As a Sawbones, I actually like pulling them into my lap. Always love dirty kick, but more important because it is an actual class mechanic, up close and personal means pistol whip that grants Upper Hand, real easy way to keep UH stacked is being up close and personal.
Didn't know that about Sawbones. I guess I'll freak out less if something gets next to one while I'm DPS'ing on my Shadow. I usually will taunt stuff off the healer even while I'm not tanking to let them focus on keeping me alive not having to worry about themselves. What level do you get this at so I don't assume this is what they are doing when in fact they are running for their lives?

As for pulling the mob with a big heal it's not all on the tank for that. The DPS have to pick up all the little guys or I just have to stand there like a jerk or heal and then get bum rushed by every Imperial yahoo standing around on a ship. but if you can leap/speed/stealth in and use Force Sweep/Fire Pulse/Force Breach and AoE everyone and keep them off of me my life will be so much easier.
<HVND> <MALEVOLENT>
Keef-Stone 60 Serenity | | Keets-Stone 60 Seer | | Keith-Stone 60 Combat Medic | | Keeth-Stone 60 Vigilance
Keet-Stone 55 Focus | | CaptBeers 60 Arsenal | | Kee'th 60 Pyrotech | | FOTM-Reroll 55 Tactics

DeltaEkotte
08.24.2012 , 10:33 AM | #7
The role of the tank is to keep the target focused on him/her so that it doesn't kill the group. You only should focus on getting defence rating, shield rating, absorb rating and above all, endurance stats. Please please please don't stack crit rating as a healer when I see a tank using crit rating, I faceplam and accept that the group probally will not get to the final boss of the raid. Be aware of maras (sents also maybe if you play on that side) as maras can rip agro right out of your hands and they are pretty squishy so they die quick.
Imperial General Ekotte, Captin of the Mandalorian Fist; E-Chimaera