Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Keeping Gear Current

Arlbo_Nabbins
07.25.2012 , 10:08 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Flow_Walker View Post
When I get the option for Commendations or..., the ... is often a gear pick for Kira, which is better than what she has, so I don't get quite as many Commendations as I might, to spend at the Fleet..
This may be the source of the problem, unless the gear pick is markedly better it is a waste taking it. You only really need 1 gear pick per planet (or less). You should always choose the commendations unless the upgrade is significant. An extra dozen armour and a couple of willpower and endurance does not make a real difference. A single blue item drop for a companion is often good enough to last them 4-5 levels.

Most planets can give you circa 30 comms. Get as many pieces of orange armour as you can and concentrate on keeping armouring for your head/chest/legs up to date and the hilt in your sabres up to max for your level (transfer the old armour mods to gloves/boots as they give less armour for the same level). Any spare commendations trade for things for Kira's moddable equipment or for mods/enhancements (being a few levels behind in those does not have a huge impact).

Most planets offer 2 levels of items for commsendations, don't bother with the lower one wait until you are high enough level for the better one otherwise you are wasting the commendations reallu. I generally do the entire planet and then hit the commendations vendors for an upgrade berfore I go to the next planet.

Doing this my Guardian never had any problems while leveling. I did choose artifice though so I was always able to produce the blue hilts for my character level (which saves on commendations).

Flow_Walker
07.26.2012 , 04:50 AM | #12
What do you do when you get a new comp? I have been using Kira since I got her, and could easily end up like a friend of mine, not using T7 again, till the game says "hey, you know that one companion you got, way at the beginning? Yeah, he's the ONLY one that can go with you to fight Darth Vitiate, because the Sith Emperor will turn anyone else who accompanies you, so I hope you kept him up to date." but I assume I'll have to use characters like Doc and Scourge, when I get them, and they work totally differently, stat-wise, then Kira. Did you just find them each some moddable stuff, during their time, and ignore Kira till you 50'd?

What might be a good set of orange gears for my Guardian? He's around 30, now, and I have to keep playing him to unlock Legacy, so that my other chars don't do stuff, and NOT add to that XP bar.

Arlbo_Nabbins
07.26.2012 , 08:25 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Flow_Walker View Post
What do you do when you get a new comp? I have been using Kira since I got her, and could easily end up like a friend of mine, not using T7 again, till the game says "hey, you know that one companion you got, way at the beginning? Yeah, he's the ONLY one that can go with you to fight Darth Vitiate, because the Sith Emperor will turn anyone else who accompanies you, so I hope you kept him up to date." but I assume I'll have to use characters like Doc and Scourge, when I get them, and they work totally differently, stat-wise, then Kira. Did you just find them each some moddable stuff, during their time, and ignore Kira till you 50'd?

What might be a good set of orange gears for my Guardian? He's around 30, now, and I have to keep playing him to unlock Legacy, so that my other chars don't do stuff, and NOT add to that XP bar.
I very rarely switch companions, on my Guardian for example I used Kira until I got Doc and then used Doc all the way to 50 because I was skilled up as a tank (defense) which mean good old Amix was almost unkillable. I tend to filter down equipment I get from drops and my main characters old equipment onto the companions I don't generally use as often.

If you use Kira its more of an issue as she takes aggro more often, if you use Doc then gear is much less of an issue for a Guardian as usually you have all the aggro.

The actual orange gear you choose is more about the aesthetics as its the mods that you use that make the difference. You want Guardian Armouring or Might Armouring in the Head/Chest/Legs that is the best a planet offers when you leave it, other piece armouring 2 levels below wont make a huge difference. Mods and Enhancements are a lower priority as the stat increase per upgrade is lower. Quite often I might have armouring 11, mod 7 and enhancement 6 in a piece of armour. That is fine for levelling in PvE.

Blue items that drop are also useful, especially if they have the stats for your main companion.

Its a bit hard for me to say exact numbers as my Guardian is now 50. I also have a level 50 Armstech (Bounty Hunter) and Armourmech (Vanguard) so I can keep my lower levels in hilts/barrels/armouring and enhancements without needing to use commendations. But the general guideline is hilt/barrel and the 3 main armourings should be 1st priority for commendation trade ins. Once those are upgraded any remaining comms should be traded in for what gives the best increase for you or your companion.

I also never used T7 until the very end of chapter 3. Wiped on the first run but I just went and bought some gear for T7 on the auction house and filled it with mods I took from other items I was going to sell anyway. Went back and prodded buttock and finished the final fight easily. Admittedly I forgot all about that mission until last night and Amix was in 4/5 Columi so over-equipped.

Spoiler