Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Same gender relationships clarifications?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender relationships clarifications?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Zandilar
07.23.2012 , 05:30 PM | #471
Quote: Originally Posted by Kioma View Post
I may be off-base but I think that the point being made was the 'framework' per se isn't related to Tivva accepting, nor does it even really have anything to do with Tivva. Instead I think it's related directly to the fact that the female Sith Warrior is implied (if you choose that option) to have interest in other females (which theoretically is the case irrespective of Tivva's or Vette's opinions on the matter). That implication is free of unfortunate...ness, it's simply the context it's placed within that (probably intentionally) makes it a bit wrong.
The most worrying thing is the SW can decide not to take "no" for an answer, and pushes the issue. Now, whether that's a "just messing with you" thing or a serious inquiry thing is up to each individual player to decide from the tone of the SW's VA.

But having looked at the male version of the scene... well, that's got the same deal (he can push on the "no couples" part - though she still tells him "no women"). So yeah, ok, I went off half cocked. Don't mind me, I'll just sit over here and shut up now. (Crazy SWTOR player channel turned to mute.)
Zandilar, an Australian, IN SPAAAAAAAACCCCEEEEE!!
Too many characters, most of them Chiss.

MusedMoose
07.23.2012 , 06:11 PM | #472
I'm guessing it's a contextual thing. The Force is life, but one of the primary motivators to maintaining the existence of a species is inherently Dark Side? I don't think so. I think it's more a matter of it being DS when your passion overrules your greater sense of balance, or when it sways you from a more inherently LS path (which probably still doesn't explain the no-DS-for-snogging-Nadia thing).
As far as I know, for the Jedi of this era, it's not so much about sex as it is attachments - Jedi aren't supposed to form them, as they supposedly can lead to stronger emotions/feelings toward one person, and that can lead to the Dark Side.

Remember, there's that one mission on Tython where choosing to hide the fact that two padawans are in a relationship gets you DS points. And on an JK mission, saying you care very strongly for Kira gets you DS points, though it also gets you affection with Kira, so I'd say it's an even trade. Totally playing my JK as grey because I know I'll be getting DS points for romancing Kira, assuming she's SGR-able.

Also, the new Q&A thread is now open. Yes, I know the odds of getting an answer about SGRs there seems slightly less than becoming a millionaire just by going to Las Vegas, but if you don't have any other crucial question to ask, might as well ask about SGRs. Can't have BioWare forgetting we're here, can we?

Quote: Originally Posted by Zandilar View Post
(Crazy SWTOR player channel turned to mute.)
Please don't take this the wrong way, but I would totally hug you for that if I could.

Syvach
07.23.2012 , 08:04 PM | #473
Quote: Originally Posted by MusedMoose View Post
Can't have BioWare forgetting we're here, can we?
Actually, I'd say that's fairly important. If SGRs are implemented, you can bet that BioWare will receive some flak over it. Thus if they receive flak for adding them, but no flak for leaving them out (i.e. supporters of SGR are quiet) then the choice to leave them out becomes easier.

Kioma
07.23.2012 , 08:10 PM | #474
So yeah, ok, I went off half cocked. Don't mind me, I'll just sit over here and shut up now. (Crazy SWTOR player channel turned to mute.)
<facehug!>
::Please Stand By, Signature Assessment Probe Commencing Analysis::

Kioma
07.23.2012 , 08:15 PM | #475
The most worrying thing is the SW can decide not to take "no" for an answer, and pushes the issue. Now, whether that's a "just messing with you" thing or a serious inquiry thing is up to each individual player to decide from the tone of the SW's VA.
I do see your point on this and in part I agree. Though to me a more worrying thing would be if the SW could take it PAST the inquiry and Force the matter. If it's just a matter of, 'You can bend your policy for me, can't you? No? Oh well,' then I see that as being benignly dodgy for the most part rather than malevolently dodgy.
::Please Stand By, Signature Assessment Probe Commencing Analysis::

chuixupu
07.23.2012 , 08:19 PM | #476
I suppose there's a need to take artistic license and world management into account. I mean if the devs approached it from a direct viewpoint of Passion = DS for everyone then they'd need to comb through every bit of dialogue and go, 'Is that passionate? DARK SIDE POINTS FOR YOU!' and everyone would be running about throwing Force Lightning at people, choking accountants and having little Sith-babies all over the place.

I'm guessing it's a contextual thing. The Force is life, but one of the primary motivators to maintaining the existence of a species is inherently Dark Side? I don't think so. I think it's more a matter of it being DS when your passion overrules your greater sense of balance, or when it sways you from a more inherently LS path (which probably still doesn't explain the no-DS-for-snogging-Nadia thing).
Incidentally, you figured what I meant anyway, but I meant dark side points, not negative affection....I have no idea why I typed that, must have been tired.
But yes, that was what I was trying to say...it's all about the context. I haven't played a JK yet, but the Consular takes a fairly guarded/cautious route with the relationship and it feels less about passion and more about bonding, and challenging the Jedi code's stance on relationships. There's certainly talk about the danger of attachment and all that, though I can't remember the specifics. But you're right,, it seems like cherry picking to some degree.
Wardens of Fate / Alea Iacta Est
The Tarkus Legacy ~ The Harbinger/Jedi Covenant

MusedMoose
07.23.2012 , 09:42 PM | #477
Quote: Originally Posted by Syvach View Post
Actually, I'd say that's fairly important. If SGRs are implemented, you can bet that BioWare will receive some flak over it. Thus if they receive flak for adding them, but no flak for leaving them out (i.e. supporters of SGR are quiet) then the choice to leave them out becomes easier.
I wholly agree with what you're saying. We definitely can't just sit back and say "It'll happen eventually," we need to be sure BioWare still knows it has subscribers who want this feature. However, everything we've heard from BioWare indicates that SGRs are still coming, and they've specifically said that negative press won't keep SGRs from being implemented.

Quote: Originally Posted by chuixupu View Post
But yes, that was what I was trying to say...it's all about the context. I haven't played a JK yet, but the Consular takes a fairly guarded/cautious route with the relationship and it feels less about passion and more about bonding, and challenging the Jedi code's stance on relationships. There's certainly talk about the danger of attachment and all that, though I can't remember the specifics. But you're right,, it seems like cherry picking to some degree.
I haven't played a JC to the point where you meet Nadia, but I have played a JK to 24, and at that point, there's some Kira-specific stuff in the class missions. I couldn't flirt with her since my JK is female, but the missions really make it seem like Kira and the JK are forming an attachment, going against the Jedi code. It's quite possible the romances were designed to be contrasts to each other, challenging the Jedi stance on relationships vs. deliberately flouting it.

I know BW said they're not just going to rewrite the relationships with the gender changed for SGRs, but if Nadia and Kira are both SGR options, I do hope these aspects aren't changed. Now that I think about it, this is all stuff I saw with a female JK, so it should still be there, though I know one dialogue I did with Kira is different for a male. But we shall see.

Newyankalt
07.23.2012 , 11:58 PM | #478
What if I don't want to redo conversations.

Captain_Zone
07.24.2012 , 07:46 AM | #479
You say the basic frame work is in, and then point to something that has unfortunate implications.

Spoiler

Umm.. *scratches her head* I'm sorry, but are we so desperate for SGRA in the game that we'll grab whatever we can get?
I get the feeling it was because Tivva is her sister, tbh. Well, I could have pointed out Kaliyo's bisexuality as noted in her letters to the IA after the main story is over.....
Spoiler

However, the point I was making with the previous example I gave was that some characters are openly talking about it ingame.
. OPOD
Shivalka: Darth Baras is quite large, isn't he?
Joran Karn: You, my dear Sith, have just mastered the art of understatement.

KidRaid
07.24.2012 , 08:10 AM | #480
Quote: Originally Posted by Letsjet View Post
isn't Kaliyo Djannis gay?

my female sniper thought so. i gotta let her know the bad news
My male operative would have to strongly disagree with you. I would definetly say she is Bi.

Very little spoiler but just in case:
Spoiler
Quote: Originally Posted by Elyree View Post
Basic tenet of economics: Something is worth what someone else is willing to pay for it. Not more, not less.