Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

What's wrong with being single-minded?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
What's wrong with being single-minded?

Master_Jeth
12.17.2011 , 03:56 PM | #1
I've always wondered why it is there is not a SINGLE full-tree spec out there and why 9 times out of 10 there's always points left over for spreading to another tree. It seems sort of a WoW-spawned habit for game designers to design trees to be uneven and of course swapped up with seemingly inappropriate specs.

Protector, Unremitting, and Commanding Awe in the Vigilance tree (Jedi Guardian) are a prime example, and I just dont understand the purpose of taking this route in assigning talents to various specs. To me, if you're going to make every tree usable for PVE/Raiding and PVP, than what I would call the "PVP" tree such as the Jedi Knight's Focus tree should be divided up more between Defense and Vigilance and likewise between them. I realize that's what they probably WANTED to do but I'm not sure they did enough thinking when they designed the trees.

To me, if they went with Focus - PVP for both Guardian and Sentinel, Vigilance - DPS for PVE/Raids, and Defense - Tank for PVE/Raids it would have at least made sense and of course keeping appropriate specs in their proper place.

It seems like they wanted to give players choices as to how to approach situations in a way they feel comfortable with so they tried to mix talents throughout the trees but for some reason they still kept a great degree of role-specific ideals in the trees.

If they wanted to get away from roles and just make 3 fun trees per advanced class, they could have made more 1-point ability talents to distinguish the tree's combat style focus (defensive, offensive, balanced) and 2 or 3 point talents designed to boost damage doing/reducing or statlines. I just think they tried and didn't quite get it right but that's just my opinion.

Back to the topic at hand though, what's the real major disadvantage everyone seems to think exists from spending 5 or 10 talents in a different tree that you could have spent in the same tree? Isn't it sort of proper to take talents designed for pvp if you plan to pvp in that spec? I dunno. I never really understood it even back in World of Warcraft with my Arms warrior...
"Look before you. Your world is in the shadow of the Imperial Fleet. Your armies are beaten, your leaders are imprisoned and you are an Imperial citizen now. All shall bow to the Sith Empire." - Lord Lonan

Master_Jeth
12.17.2011 , 05:30 PM | #2
Anyone? Anything? Hello?
"Look before you. Your world is in the shadow of the Imperial Fleet. Your armies are beaten, your leaders are imprisoned and you are an Imperial citizen now. All shall bow to the Sith Empire." - Lord Lonan

Kenshinji
12.17.2011 , 11:22 PM | #3
So you're complaining that there's too much choice? Am I reading that right?

Drunkenfarmer
12.18.2011 , 02:07 AM | #4
Without having trees done the way they are, you severely limit the ability of players to solo. A little DPS dip exists in every build, while the DPS builds have little dips into healer or tank to increase solo content survivability and encourage casual play as well as end-game team play. While this is an MMO, sometimes players like to be alone for a bit, and not needing a group to avoid getting roflstomped is a good thing. Also, having the variety encourages theorycraft for the hard core players, creates possible traps that encourage occasional respecs (money sinks are god in MMOs), and helps create a bit of diversity in builds and characters. And the trees aren't Offense-Defense-Balanced. Most of the trees have a bit of crossover as well, with perks for climbing parts of off-class trees that enhance primary abilities with synergies or buffs.

That's called depth. If they didn't have choices like that, many players both hardcore and casual would (and have in other games) complained about being on rails. Your choices are important.
(▀▀▒▒▒▒▀▀*▀▀[|▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀)

GigasFist
12.18.2011 , 07:09 AM | #5
Because each tree is a mix between PvE and PvP centric talents.

Allocating all your points into one tree would be a waste due to the fact you're missing talents that would become far more useful in each situation.

As a mercenary there would be no reason for me to pick up the talent in the Arsenal Tree that increases my endurance and healing received in a PvE Group environment. If I play correctly I won't be taking any/very much damage.

Master_Jeth
12.18.2011 , 02:29 PM | #6
I dont understand though how or why 3, 5, or 7 talents in another tree make all that much difference in the current build. Why would there be any less choice if I CHOSE to take this one tree over the other 5 out there PER class?

I dont get how designing the trees to be self sufficient and self contained would be a detriment to anything.

Deviltreh
12.18.2011 , 08:33 PM | #7
You seriously think that taking everything MINDLESLY in one tree like Rift does is a good game design?..