Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

PvP 101: How To Become A Contender!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
PvP 101: How To Become A Contender!

Lunez
05.11.2012 , 02:07 AM | #21
UPDATED 5-11-12

1) Daillies, Commendations, and Valor <----UPDATED
a) Commendation Management <----UPDATED
2) Gearing up for Warzones
a) Level 1: Recruit <----UPDATED
b) Level 2: Battlemaster <----UPDATED
c) Level 3: War Hero <----UPDATED
3) Joining a Guild
a) Teamwork
4) Skills and Consumables <----UPDATED
a) Skill: Taunt
6) The DO's and DON'T's of PvP: <----UPDATED
5) Conclusion

If you see any errors and additions to suggest, please keep them coming so we can collectively make this the best compilation of PvP referenced info on the forum. I would have added more from the provided suggestions but I grew tired and needed a break. Will add more after I've gotten some sleep.

COMING SOON:
1) Section on ripping Mods
2) Section on what gear pieces to buy first depending on your class.
3) Other amazing stuff

THANKS FOR ADDING SUGGESTED INFO!

krarom
05.11.2012 , 02:31 AM | #22
Thanks!

For posting things that help us up and coming pvp:ers. This are things i will get better from and will be able to contribute better to the team with. Posts like this also makes the game funnier because i wanna try and implement the advises as fast as possible. So keep up the good work.

/Kraros

kwakkwak
05.11.2012 , 03:14 AM | #23
if only i could teach pugs one thing it be this...

IN HUTTBALL!!!! if your team is running the ball and a enemy player isnt actively involved in trying to kill your runner/healer...DONT KILL THEM.. CC them slow them throw them off the top w/e but dont kill them. a swarm of fresh players at the end zone isnt good.

in general with most MMOs pvp ive noticed that players for the most part are better then they seems. BUT 95% of them lack situational awareness. some people are clickers and are to busy looking a their bars. some get into zombie mode and cant figure out what button to hit next. just look around more and ask yourself "what should i be doing to help the team?"

Lunez
05.11.2012 , 12:46 PM | #24
COMING SOON:
1) Section on ripping Mods
2) Section on what gear pieces to buy first depending on your class.
3) Individual Warzone Guides!
4) Other amazing stuff

Let me know what else to add. Think I'm missing a critical 101 tip or section of some sort? Want to suggest a specific skil that you believe to be worthy of it's own section? Let me know by submitting your suggestion!!

Please help us make this a sticky by adding the sticky request in your response.

THANKS!

Lunez
05.11.2012 , 08:49 PM | #25
UPDATED 5-11-12

1) Daillies, Commendations, and Valor
a) Commendation Management
2) Gearing up for Warzones
a) Level 1: Recruit
b) Level 2: Battlemaster
c) Level 3: War Hero
3) Joining a Guild
a) Teamwork
4) Skills and Consumables
a) Skill: Taunt
5) The DO's and DON'T's of PvP:
6) Warzone Guides <----NEW
a) Hando's Civil War WINNING Guide <----NEW
b) Malissant's [Guide] Civil War Overview <----NEW
7) Conclusion

If anyone else wants to write a Warzone Guide, or knows of one that's already posted but not mentioned here, please let me know so I can add it to the list. Thanks to everyone for your added contribution!

Armelle
05.11.2012 , 09:07 PM | #26
This guide seems pretty elementary and not that useful.

Buying the most expensive pieces of Battlemaster first is wrong...buy the cheapest 4 pieces that get you your 2 set bonuses first. Then buy the cheapest pieces, generally.

Learn to double up at nodes. Any node you own should have 2 defenders, not 1. This discourages stealthers and loners from even heading your way at all...which avoid excess inc calls which saves time for your team overall and is much more benefit than adding one more to the zerg. If you can't take a second node with 6 people, you aren't going to do it with 7, either...and even if you did the respawned enemies would have a headstart for your single-defended node by the time you mop up.

As a newbie, never do anything alone. Just help put your teammates over the top...added DPS or a couple heals in the right places will allow your team to win 1v1 fights they might have lost otherwise. Interrupt healers whenever you can.

Defending is a good place for you. If you are brand new and your node is being attacked, make sure *you* call out the inc, and let the better geared players save that precious half-second.

Defending a node. Sweep in circles and snatch up the DPS powerups when they spawn...not for your use, but to make them unavailable for attackers to scoop up on their way in. Got killed? Go right back to it immediately and keep them from capping it, unless you know for sure the node is a goner. If anyone is going to suicide to hold the node until help arrives, it makes sense that it's you, the ungeared player. Just stay alive and keep them off the node as best you can. This can easily save a game right there, because a lost node is a pain to get back.

Huttball: Stay on high ground when you can, but when you are defending from high ground and the ballcarrier is heading your way *stay out of the enemies line of sight* unless you *know* they cannot leap to you...otherwise you are simple giving them a free ride to your position for an easy capture. Use your knockbacks where ever possible to drive opponents down off the ramps. Make them run around again.

Man, I should have written this guide.

OmySpy
05.11.2012 , 09:50 PM | #27
GREAT GUIDE

Being both informative and with a positive tone, this should be a recommended guide to all people going into PVP.

Superawesomerman
05.11.2012 , 10:44 PM | #28
good info, mang. Two links in sig to guides I wrote which might be applicable, slightly more in depth. dirty hate mongering imperials need not read!

Edit: its a warzone strategy guide, not a beginners guide, but whatever.

cashogy
05.11.2012 , 11:30 PM | #29
good post. i really wish bioware would send a mail to players in game when they reach 50 that basically sums up how to gear up for all endgame content. there are so many clueless players in this game

Heliwyr
05.11.2012 , 11:49 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by cashogy View Post
good post. i really wish bioware would send a mail to players in game when they reach 50 that basically sums up how to gear up for all endgame content. there are so many clueless players in this game
Or at least they e-mail you with links to the various End-Game forums and guides and encourage you to read those guides. And to join the forums and stop being a creepy lurker.

Sticky this please, it's pretty useful.

Would be very good to go over keybinding in detail. Maybe link to some of the many guides on forums and on Youtube.

Also, other tips:

-Take the time outside of the game to sit down and analyze each warzone type and your class and spec. What I mean is, sit down and think about what your class and spec are best suited for in each warzone. Sometimes, what's good in one area is terrible in others. Sometimes, you realize that you can use certain abilities to accomplish goals that you might not have thought of while you were freaking out and dying. Make a battle plan for yourself. Decide what you should generally try to do in each warzone, and then do it. But keep your plan very general and open for adjustments on the fly. This will help you get a handle on how each warzone operates in spite of the variable conditions.

Once I did this, I found my skill level increase a bit. I was suddenly much more aware of what was going on around me, and because I was more aware, I was able to react more accurately. This doesn't mean I suddenly didn't still suck. But I sucked a little less, and was more useful.

-Try to call out the healers on the other side. This really helps people focus on players that need to be consistently killed, CC'd, and otherwise annoyed out of their minds.
"Oh, there ain't no rest for the wicked,
Money don't grow on trees,
I got bills to pay. I got mouths to feed,
There ain't nothin' in this world for free."