Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

PvP 101: How To Become A Contender!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
PvP 101: How To Become A Contender!

Lunez
05.11.2012 , 12:32 AM | #11
UPDATED 5-10-12

1) Daillies, Commendations, and Valor <----UPDATED
a) Commendation Management <----NEW
2) Gearing up for Warzones
a) Level 1: Recruit
b) Level 2: Battlemaster <----UPDATED
c) Level 3: War Hero <----UPDATED
3) Joining a Guild
a) Teamwork
4) Skills and Consumables
a) Skill: Taunt <----NEW
6) The DO's and DON'T's of PvP: <----NEW
5) Conclusion

If you see any errors and additions to suggest, please keep them coming so we can collectively make this the best compilation of PvP referenced info on the forum.

Aikiyc
05.11.2012 , 12:47 AM | #12
Great post.

Though, I'm not sure you can buy Battlemaster pre-level 50. I think I tried that today. I can double check.
The Teltae Legacy
There's no escape from the mind.

KBSIP
05.11.2012 , 12:48 AM | #13
your guide for 10-49 is wrong, you don't receive commendations for any dailies pre-50. They only give lockboxes and experience.

flem
05.11.2012 , 12:52 AM | #14
Forget the Valor Rank stuff.

DPS should definitely get the mainhand first. It's a *huge* difference. It also lets you swap out crystals for 41 more expertise.

WZ medpac/adrenal is better than the Rakata equivalent, but it's really something you can only stockpile when you're fully geared. Always being stimmed is nice though.

I suggest that your main mission 10-49 is to pile up commos and to *learn the maps*. At the Recruit level it's to understand the more advanced 50 bracket tactics both on the engagement level (resolve/CC management, using/negating guard/crossheal setups, etc.) and on the overall wz level (where to go when, anticipating team behavior, classic plays used to get/stop objectives, etc.).

Don't forget DO *call inc*. On first contact, not when you're dead. And DON'T *zerg*. If 4-5 teammates are already responding to an inc call, don't mindlessly follow and leave your point under (or un) defended. Gaaah.
Jedi Covenant | Formerly: Squadron 840; Shii-Cho | Bring back warzone Tauntauns!

KBSIP
05.11.2012 , 12:53 AM | #15
Also;

you cannot purchase battlemaster gear before level 50. this is a delusion being propagated solely on the forums, it is not a secret it simply isn't possible.

also;

on many of your later sections replace the term "war hero" comms with "ranked warzone" comms, there is no such thing as war hero commendations.

also;

At valor rank 40 you can begin banking commendations of the regular variety as ranked commendations through PVP vendors, and if you're leveling purely through PVP this will allow you to bank a significant chunk of ranked commendations before hitting 50. Math escapes me but it should be possible to get a piece of war hero as soon as you hit 50 with capped comms and a nice reserve of ranked comms.

EugeneYap
05.11.2012 , 12:56 AM | #16
Great!!! Now all we need is to get the more players to read this instead of complaining
Everything It's fine, L2P

Lunez
05.11.2012 , 01:08 AM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by Aikiyc View Post
Though, I'm not sure you can buy Battlemaster pre-level 50. I think I tried that today. I can double check.
No, you're right, I just tried it. Need to be level 50 to buy. Correcting the guide accordingly.

Quote: Originally Posted by KBSIP View Post
your guide for 10-49 is wrong, you don't receive commendations for any dailies pre-50. They only give lockboxes and experience.
Yeah, this is totally true, and I had forgotten. Thanks for pointing it out. Fixing it accordingly.

Quote: Originally Posted by flem View Post
Forget the Valor Rank stuff.

DPS should definitely get the mainhand first. It's a *huge* difference. It also lets you swap out crystals for 41 more expertise.

WZ medpac/adrenal is better than the Rakata equivalent, but it's really something you can only stockpile when you're fully geared. Always being stimmed is nice though.

I suggest that your main mission 10-49 is to pile up commos and to *learn the maps*. At the Recruit level it's to understand the more advanced 50 bracket tactics both on the engagement level (resolve/CC management, using/negating guard/crossheal setups, etc.) and on the overall wz level (where to go when, anticipating team behavior, classic plays used to get/stop objectives, etc.).

Don't forget DO *call inc*. On first contact, not when you're dead. Gaaah.
* Re-writing Valor Rank info, it stays because in the near future, its going to be important, you just dont know it yet.
* Adding details about warzone meds/stims being stronger
* I'll add some class specific details about what gear to purchase first, help me make sure its accurate.
* Adding more info for pre-recruit training, and moving some of it into the later recruit section.
* Adding DO call incs (a really good suggestion)

THANKS EVERYONE FOR THE FEEDBACK!

Memo-
05.11.2012 , 01:09 AM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by KBSIP View Post
At valor rank 40 you can begin banking commendations of the regular variety as ranked commendations through PVP vendors, and if you're leveling purely through PVP this will allow you to bank a significant chunk of ranked commendations before hitting 50. Math escapes me but it should be possible to get a piece of war hero as soon as you hit 50 with capped comms and a nice reserve of ranked comms.
Yeah, you can hold 3500 ranked warzone commendations and 2000 warzone commendations, meaning that if you hit lvl 50 with those numbers you can instantly buy either a few pieces of battlemaster clothing and a few war hero bonuses (implants, earpieces or relics), or buy, for example, a battlemaster main hand weapon and immediately upgrade it to war hero.

//Also, this came to me immediately after I converted my mercenary commendations to warzone commendations after 1.2, but IF THERE IS STILL SOMEONE UNDER 50 AROUND THERE WITH WARZONE COMMENDATIONS, don't use them. You get a free max-1000 commendations to hold, just exchange them to warzone commendations when the time of need comes.
Delarah | Stilva | Ethawn | Luccia<Lice-Ridden Banthas>Tenori | Weimar | Baritoni | Altto
Maliris | Faris | Jauhe | Sopraano<Reilukerho>Väli | Rai'chu | Bas'so | Sakkó
   The Lihavuori LegacyTomb of Freedon Nadd

flem
05.11.2012 , 01:13 AM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Memo- View Post
or buy, for example, a battlemaster main hand weapon and immediately upgrade it to war hero.
If you do this as a dual-wielding advanced class (Sent, Mara, Slinger, Merc), you can rip the guts of the BM mainhand and immediately put it into a custom (augmented, of course!) orange shell. Voila, a BM offhand to go with your WH mainhand!

If you aren't in one of these ACs, you should of course still rip the mod and enhancement bits for use elsewhere... esp. since they're full Rakata stats *plus* 25 expertise.
Jedi Covenant | Formerly: Squadron 840; Shii-Cho | Bring back warzone Tauntauns!

flem
05.11.2012 , 01:19 AM | #20
Another point: since BM armor, unlike recruit, is fully rippable, you can *either* start taking advantage of the two- and four-piece set bonuses as you pick new bits up *or* start going augmented orange. Depends on your cash flow situation, I guess, as well as the usefulness of your spec's particular set bonuses.