Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Scavenging Materials Too Expensive?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
Scavenging Materials Too Expensive?

pokota
05.04.2012 , 02:03 PM | #11
The problem with a lot of materials comes from decisions by BioWare.

For instance, Electrum. They made it much more rare than the other grade 5 metal, but SO many more schematics need it. It's crazy, and I don't understand why they did this. I send my guys out to get grade 5 metals, and I'm lucky if I get 2 Electrum in return. Meanwhile, I've got multiple stacks of the other building up in my inventory. The same with the grade 5 compound, and with other grade resources.

This is why I think crafting was done piecemeal by different teams with little communication, or it was done by people who either know or care little about crafting. What are these other materials even FOR? It's frustrating.

uniz
05.04.2012 , 02:04 PM | #12
slicing doesnt really go with anything and most certainly not cybertech. also it isnt the credit maker that it once was either.

if you must have it then take scavenging instead of underworld trading. you can then have ut on a alt which might be a better solution since leveling ut is via missions only. you could do slicing on a alt too instead but you will miss some credits from harvesting nodes while you level.

as you have learned you never want to rely on the gtn for tradeskill mats to level as you are at thier mercy for prices and availability.

i leveled my cybertech with ut and scavenging. had to farm droids at certain levels since some metals and compounds were too rare to get. each droid i killed was worth 500 too 2k credits to me if i had to buy mats from the gtn. no slicing node at that level was even close to those credits. found many more droids than slicing nodes too.

what you do is up to you..

Stone_Rain
05.04.2012 , 02:26 PM | #13
Harvesting droids, bah... Come to my GTN and you will find I sell the cheapest Scavenging Mats around... That's my bread and butter...

NermalDetonator
05.04.2012 , 05:32 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Dualhammers View Post
So you recommend that one character go full gathering, with slicing, and the other full crafting with the required gathering skills?

It seems like everyone is saying that Slicing is this awkward skill that doesn't really fit anywhere.
Its good on an alt w biochem/bioanalysis. You really only need one main biochem/analysis/diplomacy character to hand out the re-usables.

The other problem w scavenging is that its just over-used, same w the UT metals. Too many trade skills depend on scavenged metals, compounds and UT metals, while silk cloth is nearly worthless in comparison. They should have re-worked it where synth recipes only use cloth/crystals, to ease up on the metal consumption.