Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Named vs. Generic Gear

Drewhat
05.04.2012 , 06:29 AM | #1
I was wondering if anyone can see any crafting advantage to the 'named' gear in comparison to the generic gear? By named, I mean the crafted armor that starts with a name like 'TD-07A Dread Scout Leggings' instead of 'Tempered Mesh Leggings'.

Their progressive tiers do not gain as much stat benefits as generic gear does. They cost 50% to 100% more materials and require a large amount of critted underwold goods. They really only seem worth while to cover a couple of holes where artifact generic armor doesn't sufficiently provide coverage. If there is anything, they look like they provide +5%-+10% armor points for base and tier 1 gear compared to their generic equivalents.

I guess they do start out with significantly better stats, but I don't know if it is worth the materials to make them, for a crafter.

Wallsie
05.04.2012 , 07:03 AM | #2
If you're talking about leveling gear, just keep replacing with blues whenever you can make an upgrade and continue leveling. There's really not much point to continually replacing your armors. Even with orange gear, the only thing you really should replace as soon as you can is armoring and hilts/barrels. World comm mod vendors can cover the mod and enhancement slots easily the whole way up as long as you're taking comms whenever there isn't a significant upgrade for you or your main companion as quest rewards.

Drewhat
05.04.2012 , 01:12 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Wallsie View Post
If you're talking about leveling gear, just keep replacing with blues whenever you can make an upgrade and continue leveling. There's really not much point to continually replacing your armors. Even with orange gear, the only thing you really should replace as soon as you can is armoring and hilts/barrels. World comm mod vendors can cover the mod and enhancement slots easily the whole way up as long as you're taking comms whenever there isn't a significant upgrade for you or your main companion as quest rewards.
Have you ever noticed how much you can sell the commendation artifact boxes for if you don't open them? Sometimes they were worth as much as 2 or 3 pieces of blue gear (which means sometimes they are smarter to save up for).

And no I am talking about the difference between the schematics that start out blue vs. those that start green. I think I've found my answer, (their base version ends up being more profitable for vendors per material). Their tier 1 and 2 variants don't improve as much as the base green schematics though and they cost nearly 2x as much to research because of the value of the crit UT mats.