Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

I want to know more about the expanded universe

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
I want to know more about the expanded universe

Lanuria
04.30.2012 , 07:54 AM | #21
We need some more X-Wing Rogue/Wraith Squadron love up in this thread.

The books don't deal with the main heroic Jedi type characters, but the pilots and general non-Force users right after the OT. The characters are deep and well written and the fight scenes are just amazingly well done.

I am going to be starting the Corran Horn books soon to get a better idea of Corellia, since my Jedi is from there.

psandak
04.30.2012 , 08:21 AM | #22
Start where it all began - Thrawn Trilogy. Of all the authors who write SW, Timothy Zahn is the best, IMO.

Other stories I really like are:
X-Wing series - be aware VERY little Jedi and only cameos by characters you really know (Han, Luke, and Leia).
Jedi Academy trilogy - if you read this trilogy you should then read I, Jedi (events of the trilogy through the eyes of a single jedi trainee).
Bounty Hunter Wars Trilogy - You get to root for Boba Fett
Han Solo Trilogy - Follow Han Solo through his life up to ANH:
Spoiler

I agree that the e-book series Lost Tribe of the Sith is a good read, but can drag at times.

Honestly I could not get through the New Jedi Order series. I liked the concept of the extra-galactic species invading, but...
Spoiler

infinitum
05.01.2012 , 12:18 PM | #23
I completed reading the Darth Bane trilogy and was really impressed by it. The first book, Path of Destruction (as someone mentioned earlier) is the best in the series. Bane's character is very very well written and probably at the top of my favourite SW characters

Temeluchus
05.01.2012 , 12:57 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by infinitum View Post
I completed reading the Darth Bane trilogy and was really impressed by it. The first book, Path of Destruction (as someone mentioned earlier) is the best in the series. Bane's character is very very well written and probably at the top of my favourite SW characters
They are good books,rather easy and quick reading though. The artistic interpretation of Bane and Zannah on the covers kind of knocked Bane's coolness factor down a peg or two in my eyes though, he looks like an emo, dim witted Sith version of Mongul from DC Comics.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mongul
"Men call me Darkstar, and I am of the night.

RobNightfall
05.01.2012 , 01:55 PM | #25
I've read damn near all of the books, and I recommend everything written by Timothy Zahn as a must. He put a lot of time and effort into his books to make them feel like Star Wars, which is something a lot of the other writers don't do or can't do as well.

In terms of must read series to know what's going on I'd read:

Heir to the Empire trilogy by Timothy Zahn
Jedi Academy Trilogy by Kevin Anderson (I think)
I Jedi by Michael Stackpole (I think I'm remembering his last name correctly)
Hand of Thrawn Duology by Timothy Zahn
The New Jedi Order series
Dark Nest Trilogy by Troy Denning
Legacy of the Force series
Fate of the Jedi series

There's a lot of other stuff out there, but that list will give you a rough time line and a solid idea what has happened so far.
A lot of people don't like Karen Traviss for a lot of various reasons, some of them decent criticisms and a lot of them pure crap. The two big things with her are a) she points out areas where the jedi morality is selfish and b) she demonstrates that the Mandalorians would be competition for all but the toughest jedi. Reading Traviss is a lot like reading Glen Cook's the Black Company in that she takes the high mythology of Star Wars and attempts to bring it down to a normal people level, with a lot less success than Glen Cook had with high fantasy.
Edited because the devs appear to have fixed at least 80% of the crap that was pissing me off.