Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Question on Jedi Lore and weapon choices

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Question on Jedi Lore and weapon choices

Magisch
04.07.2012 , 09:53 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by SmarineIS View Post
Funny thing that always struck me as a physics major in college, if light sabers are made of plasma it would kill everything and everyone within a rough field of 30 feet or so, as even the coldest forms of plasma are several thousand degrees Celsius.

Ive heard there is a protective containment field and such, but if that is true and it can still cut through blast doors designed to withstand all of the fun super powerful laser weapons of the Starwars world, this makes little sense as the blade would still then kill the user, or if nothing else, all those troopers and civilians you see in the movies and read of in the books standing next to the jedi themselves without benefit of the force to protect them.

Don't get me wrong my other favorite genre have just as terrible story gaps and leaps in the physics world. So I'm not mocking star wars for its flare but its one of those things that makes me laugh in the study of physics.

Also since a light saber is nearly weightless you actually generate less force with it then say another heavier object which is another physics problem I always found funny. In terms of marital combat speed is important but other factors come into effect as well such as strength, reach, etc going by the parameters of a sword fight.

In a duel with swords the speed of ones weapon is largely based upon skill and physical condition, the difference in speed based on weight between a light saber and say a vibrosword designed to be like a fencing saber (going by some book examples my friend gave me as well as the table top rpg) the difference in speed would be negligible if both warriors were of equal skill and training. Ive seen someone mention that the sith came up with ways to make a regular sword stop a lightsaber alchemical weapons or such, if thats true then there you go.

On that though process you could probably have a scary combination of a jedi and a baseball bat >.> you know swings powered by the force and all.

anyway thats my nerdy two cents on the subject, also why has anyone used buck shot on jedi yet? I mean seriously how could common sense tell you to keep using a weapon they can block, being those damn blasters XD

I ramble as you probably could tell from all that, I apologize for the long windedness

That is, in terms of simple logic, not an issue.
Because the Star Wars Universe is what it is, an entire Universe, therefore having its own physical conditions. That they are somewhat near ours is just an coincedence, not more.

sincerly

SmarineIS
04.07.2012 , 12:28 PM | #12
The explosions themselves are possible due to the exploding things usually being filled with oxygen in the case of the death star and starships its the sound that wouldn't transfer lol

SmarineIS
04.07.2012 , 12:49 PM | #13
The explanation of "its a different universe so physics dosen't apply" never really struck me as convincing because since if you use any aspects of physics it all has to apply nearly universally or stuff starts flying apart. I'm not saying its not all bad *** but I like pointing out flaws in stories explanations of things, I do it with all my hobbies lol some are even worse then the light saber conundrum XD.

P.S sry Zone did not mean to ignore you thank you for the info lol it gives me some ideas for a story involving a non lightsaber swinging jedi or at least one who relys on a vibro sword

Captain_Zone
04.07.2012 , 12:56 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by SmarineIS View Post
The explanation of "its a different universe so physics dosen't apply" never really struck me as convincing because since if you use any aspects of physics it all has to apply nearly universally or stuff starts flying apart. I'm not saying its not all bad *** but I like pointing out flaws in stories explanations of things, I do it with all my hobbies lol some are even worse then the light saber conundrum XD.

P.S sry Zone did not mean to ignore you thank you for the info lol it gives me some ideas for a story involving a non lightsaber swinging jedi or at least one who relys on a vibro sword
No worries. I would, however like to point out that trying to apply our physics to Star Wars is a losing proposition. Even common sense takes a backseat to elaborate and completely illogical plans in the Star Wars universe. It's not so much science fiction as it is science fantasy.

My solution: Turn those parts of my brain off and enjoy the ride.
. OPOD
Shivalka: Darth Baras is quite large, isn't he?
Joran Karn: You, my dear Sith, have just mastered the art of understatement.