Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Thoughts from an MMO Noob

terminova
04.04.2012 , 06:06 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by GuerreEtoiles View Post
With the Sith I feel like I'm working for a nightmare police state like the Third Reich.
You basically are, and they get really unhappy when you get in their way and insist on them playing nice with the people of the planet. Darth what'shisname on Voss got all bent oput of shape when I suggested to the Voss that they work out their differences with the Gormack.
Quote: Originally Posted by Toxen View Post
I support...wait, which thread is this? Sorry, I'm following a lot of flame wars at the moment. Uh, oh yeah, clicking!

I support clicking!

weezdajuice
04.04.2012 , 06:07 PM | #12
If you're not thrilled with the social/mmo aspect then you're doing it wrong. It is what you make it. Find some friends.
Ooh a new private message! False alarm. Just another infraction. Clicking is bad and you should feel bad.

GuerreEtoiles
04.04.2012 , 06:16 PM | #13
Good reply Terminova. I'm happy to report that my character has been able to maintain a healthy dark side balance, though I still occasionally feel a conscience and let some light side points slip through.

Anyway, better get to the game. I need to wrap up Balmora this evening and head to Nar Shada, one of my favorite SW places.

Kalfear
04.04.2012 , 06:33 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Fozziwig View Post
I have three suggestions to try, in order:

1. Find a really good guild
2. Find a good guild
3. Find a decent guild

I'm not kidding. Guilds are what make MMO's fun. Find a decent one, and all your problems will go away.
And this is the number one reason why MMOs have fallen into the pity sake they have become.

Back in the older days (pre WOW) most MMORPGs were designed so there was a community first.

Then the community would seperate into their little guild cliques, but there was always a over arching community!

TOR has no community
RIFT had a community because of Rifts but when you hit max level they stopped promoting community and focused on raiding which is just the elitist guilds excluding others.

WOW had no community, just more of the same regarding raids

DAoC actually was astounding prior to RAs as the relics rewarded the COMMUNITY so the community came togather in times of realm defence. It brought everyone togather!

This is lost on these WOW and post WOW games. None of them build and maintain a over arching community. They buy into the BS that to have interaction and socialization you need to join guilds.

Guilds originally were tools that reinforced the community at large.

Now a days they are elitist sub cultures that promote seperation and exclusivity and make a game having a community or socialization even more restrictive.

Guilds dont make MMOs fun.
Guilds promote seperation and elitism.

All the social guilds have long died out!

And for the self proclaimed vets (snickers) who will undoubtable come and tell me im wrong Ill just point at OP. Prior to WOW, he would have a place in the game community and only need to look at guilds for focused raids/pvp. The socialization would come from the community!

By everyones example, now hes forced to join someones guild and THEIR style of play, just to expeirence a social enviroment.

Well as long as he uses Vent that is.
Housing brought me back
now add Paazaak, KotOR#1 swoop bike racing, and more flashpoints and planets

The_Smith
04.05.2012 , 09:29 AM | #15
I'm an MMO noob too and had I not read the reviews praising the strength and depth of the single-player experience in SWTOR, I wouldn't have bothered. As with any multi-player games, I'd only be interested in playing with friends, for fun. I see other players dashing around having fun and it doesn't ruin my game, even if they have my companion with them (I was a little freaked out by the five and a half Louis Letrushes in Skyrim, but now I just run past and say hello to each of them).

One idea I had, as a lowly level 4 Noob, was that in order to make the game more immersive, actually make interaction in game more fun. Rather than have stupidly difficult Heroic challenges that make you gravitate to the nearest person on your server just to finish it, make use of player classes. For instance, I haven't played as a Bounty Hunter but I imagine that the bounties you'd be collecting would be NPCs in your storyline. What if you could contract a bounty hunter to take out another player? Or hire a smuggler to locate something for you? Or contract a bounty hunter to take out the smuggler who nicked your Alderaaninator... You see where I'm going with this?

And if you do end up as a head on a Hutt's wall, you would have a cut scene of your character waking up in a med-bay with a nice new metal head... alive and free to take revenge on the smuggler and bounty hunter.

This lends your character a purpose inside the game and outside of the single-player story. As it stands, you don't gain any kind of kudos outside of the game for doing the Heroic challenges; but something that, as a player, may have real consequences for someone else's character could lend something special to the game.

If there is something like this in there (I've been playing as a Sith Warrior, so far upto lvl 21) then I'd love to know.

GuerreEtoiles
04.05.2012 , 04:46 PM | #16
As sort of a final note on my part, last night I found another 'loner' to team up with. We kicked butt and took names, practically bowling over resistance on Balmora, including that awful 'Creature from the Pit' (hey, wasn't that an old Doctor Who episode???

Anyway, a great time was had by all. It seems that what I lost in independence by teaming up with someone for the entire evening was more than compensated by the experience points and loot we gained, to say nothing of plain old fun! Anyway, I can see now that although you can probably get by playing as a lone gun, it is a lot more fun when you find like-minded people to team with.

BTW, as an aside, a lot of people have mentioned WoW, which I suppose is the seminal MMO. IMHO, I think Blizzard was great back in the day, but they let success and money go to their heads. Starcraft Two is a case in point of how bloated and pretentious Blizzard has become. Now I wouldn't play their stuff if someone paid me. But I digress.

Kotlx
04.05.2012 , 04:55 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by GuerreEtoiles View Post
On the plus side, I think SWTOR has one of the strongest stories I've ever seen in a game. To me the story is very compelling and definitely is giving me a reason to stick around to level 50. I'm a big fan of both the single player KOTOR games as well as the Bethesda RPG's, and I think the SWTOR story has been as good or better than any of them. Also, I'm playing a Sith character, and feel like Bioware has fully fleshed out the Sith mythos in this game. Very cool.

My main complaint though is that thus far I'm not thrilled with the MMO/social aspect. I know that this might have to do with my being an MMO noob. Still in all, of the 8-9 heroic quests I've done with other people, I've only enjoyed maybe 3-4 of them. It seems more often than not I end up working with players who are rude, selfish, impatient, or all of the above. This has definitely soured the overall experience for me.

Also, having never played WoW, I'm finding the social/chat controls rather clunky. And speaking of the chat, I've seen more than a few troll chats going on as I play. Gosh, don't these people have better things to do like go out and hunt Jedi?

The feeling I get though is that the game is really meant to be played co-op with friends and family. If you are going in solo like me though, it seems it's all in the luck of the draw whether you meet up with cool people or jerks.

Anyway, I will definitely continue to level 50 as I'm curious to see if Darth Zash is going to eventually betray me. I'm sorry to say though that I've become rather jaded with the team heroic quests, and going forward will probably be a bit more circumspect before joining other players in doing additional ones.

Everything with the exception of heroic quests is a personal problem. Welcome to the internet; the cyber world of trolls and rude demeanor.

Regarding heroics; finding a group will get tougher as you go along. Trust me. Once you hit Alderaan, the heroic 4's are both incredibly difficult at your level and very hard to find people interested in doing it. Especially on low pop servers.

I would suggest this for any MMO. Find a guild. No one appreciates strangers. Joining a guild (even a small one, or one with little to no 50's or end game plans) allows you to at least converse with people who enjoy the game.

Feena-c
04.05.2012 , 05:16 PM | #18
Also a first time MMOer here. I've really had an awesome experience.
As a single player only person in the past, the idea of a bunch of real people all in the same game at once was weird to me. When I started the game I was resolved to play only with my relatives and avoid other people like the plague. However, conflicting schedules quickly caused me to need to find *gasp* strangers to run FPs and Heroics with.
For the most part, it's been awesome. I've met some fantastic people. There have been a few annoying persons here and there, but on the hole I've enjoyed 95% of my group experiences.
Doing FPs and Heroics with a pick-up group has become a favorite thing for me, and I did not expect that at all.

If you are consistently having problems I would recommend trying another server, or seeking out a guild that has standards for behavior so you always have polite people to group with.
"Sometimes swirling Force is just swirling Force." - Jolee Bindo

zhorzh
04.06.2012 , 05:23 AM | #19
You could also try to add those people you enjoyed grouping with to your friends list.
You would be amazed how much they actually remember you (chances are if you had a good time, they did as well and remembered it).
I realized I have not been adding people to my friends list at cca lvl 25.
Once I started doing that, the waiting time has dropped significantly, now I almost never wait.

One more thing to try is to look if someone is marked for grouping and politely ask them if they would team up with you. Many times players helped me out on some heroics eve if they did them already.

The community of SWTOR is great imo!