Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

MMORPG Research Design help

TSUNAMl
03.20.2012 , 06:00 PM | #1
Hi people,

How's things?

I'm writing this post to ask for assistance to brainstorm some potential ideas for an experimental research design that would have utility in-game (SWTOR).

Specifically, I am interested in a possible correlation between level of gaming (average time spent playing SWTOR) and associated levels of impulsivity. I am also going to look at the benefits of using the rested XP function as a tool to promote delay discounting (forgoing a small reward now for a larger or better reward at a later point in time), for more balanced game usage.

I understand that I can obtain most of the data I need via the use of particular surveys and inventories. However, I have been informed that I need an experiemental component to make the research more meaningful.

So (hypothetically), I was thinking about creating two guilds (one as a control and one as the experimental to be manipulated in some way), with 10-12 people in each guild. Can you guys help me brainstorm or provide some ideas as to how I can develop an experiment that may look at a correlation between gaming use and impulsivity, please? or even to somehow tie in the use of rested Xp in the taverns to test delay discounting behaviours in different guilds?

I have been thinking about this for over week and have not come up with any concise ideas yet...

Any comments would be greatly appreciated!
ฤฏฏฏฏฐญ███████████████████████████████████████)

Mirdthestrill
03.20.2012 , 06:23 PM | #2
That sounds absolutely fascinating!

As for ideas, let me think. I may have something within an hour.
I <3 alts!

TSUNAMl
03.20.2012 , 06:36 PM | #3
Thankyou very much!
All thoughts/ideas will be greatly appreciated.
ฤฏฏฏฏฐญ███████████████████████████████████████)