Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

This is why EU players play EU developed games

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content
This is why EU players play EU developed games

derapo
03.15.2012 , 01:40 PM | #11
The frustrating thing is that I doubt anyone at the serviceteams is really caring about these hundrets and hundrets of users that are complaining.

TaramCaldar
03.15.2012 , 01:40 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Zzar View Post
Thanks to the ones that got it, and.... to the ones that don't.
Believe me, I do understand a thing or two about work hours, but the thing is, when your company is servicing hundreds of thousands of customers, the work hours of a few employees a few days every now and than is a rather low concern as opposed to the amount of customers your giving bad service to.
I personally think that BioWare should look at implementing split patches... the 'offiicial' stance is that they want everyone to get the same patch at the same time. But in an online world that really isn't realistic unless you're in a single-shard environment (like EVE for example). Anytime you have geographically located server farms *scheduled* patches should probably occur in times conducive to those timezones rather than trying to patch every server at every farm at the same time. IE: Patch all servers at the same (local) time of day rather than patching them all at once.

That said... emergency downtimes will happen and those really should get fixed at the same time on all servers because there are any number of reasons you don't want to wait to fix something. Just like there are plenty of valid reasons why you sometimes don't want to tell the players just why you had to do an emergency patch. No offense... yes you are a customer... no, you are not a board member.

Zzar
03.15.2012 , 01:47 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by TaramCaldar View Post
I personally think that BioWare should look at implementing split patches... the 'offiicial' stance is that they want everyone to get the same patch at the same time. But in an online world that really isn't realistic unless you're in a single-shard environment (like EVE for example). Anytime you have geographically located server farms *scheduled* patches should probably occur in times conducive to those timezones rather than trying to patch every server at every farm at the same time. IE: Patch all servers at the same (local) time of day rather than patching them all at once.

That said... emergency downtimes will happen and those really should get fixed at the same time on all servers because there are any number of reasons you don't want to wait to fix something. Just like there are plenty of valid reasons why you sometimes don't want to tell the players just why you had to do an emergency patch. No offense... yes you are a customer... no, you are not a board member.
Offense none taken, and I agree with everything you say.
I will add though, that in the case of an "emergency" patch, the very least they could do is put up information that THAT's what it is.
I do not presume to be asked my personal position on the matter by bioware prior to any decisions, so no I'm not a board member, but in this day and age, where feeds of information instantly about anything all the time is as normal as breathing, the mmo industry is severely lagging behind.
It feels like there is still a misguided conception amongst server admins that only kids with nothing but time to waste play mmos.

saychel
03.15.2012 , 01:47 PM | #14
i would hope that the bioware team runs a 24 hour ship.i very much doubt that at 5Pm in whatever timezone.they pack up their lunch box's and go home,hoping that if anything goes wrong the caretaker will fix it.i'm sure there is a fully trained team there at all times.so that when a problem arises they can fix it.

It's unfortunate that they chose to patch at europeon peak times and very frustrating.

I'm all for two seperate server banks. America and europe.would save lots of upset.

Noviru
03.15.2012 , 02:16 PM | #15
Hello everyone!

Because a few threads about this topic already exists, we'll be closing this thread in order to consolidate discussion. We encourage you to join the existing discussion of Europe and Maintenance Times, here:Thanks!