Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

My character seems to understand alot of alien languages :)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
My character seems to understand alot of alien languages :)

vtravi's Avatar


vtravi
12.15.2011 , 08:24 PM | #1
Does it bother anyone that your toon can understand all these alien languages. I would much prefer these aliens speak English (basic) with a accent, it would seem much more realistic cause that is the main language used in the universe. Also I find it really distracting when trying to read the text having this gibberish sound in my ear. But that is just me i guess

VanCarak's Avatar


VanCarak
12.15.2011 , 08:33 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by vtravi View Post
Does it bother anyone that your toon can understand all these alien languages. I would much prefer these aliens speak English (basic) with a accent, it would seem much more realistic cause that is the main language used in the universe. Also I find it really distracting when trying to read the text having this gibberish sound in my ear. But that is just me i guess
Universal Translator. The Exile had one in KOTOR II. Revan on the other hand understood many many languages without use of a translator. And since your character is the elite of the elite, it's not really much of a surprise that he/she can understand more than one language.

Note: Your character does not have to speak those languages, as most aliens understand basic (and can even speak it though they don't think they need to.)

So for me, no it's not a problem.
Cathar? Pshaw! That's so last patch. Give us Shistavanen, or give us Death!

Tbmarshall's Avatar


Tbmarshall
12.15.2011 , 10:29 PM | #3
I don't mind the gibberish in the ear, its when the gibberish is 3 seconds long and the text is a full paragraph long.

Heckrix's Avatar


Heckrix
12.15.2011 , 10:55 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by vtravi View Post
Does it bother anyone that your toon can understand all these alien languages. I would much prefer these aliens speak English (basic) with a accent, it would seem much more realistic cause that is the main language used in the universe. Also I find it really distracting when trying to read the text having this gibberish sound in my ear. But that is just me i guess
I think the reason that they speak gibberish is more because of George Lucas, and bioware wanted to not to funk up the lore.
Held the line in the "Bonus Wave" Thread.

JavaGuy_JA's Avatar


JavaGuy_JA
12.16.2011 , 01:24 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Heckrix View Post
I think the reason that they speak gibberish is more because of George Lucas, and bioware wanted to not to funk up the lore.
Agreed.

It's a Star Wars game. If the entire universe spoke English it would be a Star Trek game.

Sangria's Avatar


Sangria
12.16.2011 , 04:08 AM | #6
My character's a smuggler, I would hope they knew different languages, you have to be able to communicate in that business.

Zlodo's Avatar


Zlodo
12.16.2011 , 04:33 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by vtravi View Post
Does it bother anyone that your toon can understand all these alien languages. I would much prefer these aliens speak English (basic) with a accent, it would seem much more realistic cause that is the main language used in the universe. Also I find it really distracting when trying to read the text having this gibberish sound in my ear. But that is just me i guess
It would be much better because the gibberish gets old very fast. I can't wait to have another companion to use than that lizard dude who keeps making pointless observations in his ear-grating gibberish all the damn time.
Eleris, Jedi Shadow, Lord Calypho
If you ever find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

smore's Avatar


smore
12.16.2011 , 05:12 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Zlodo View Post
It would be much better because the gibberish gets old very fast. I can't wait to have another companion to use than that lizard dude who keeps making pointless observations in his ear-grating gibberish all the damn time.
For what it's worth, that "lizard dude" is the best starting companion players - Republic player
at least - can get, in my opinion.

Qyzen for president!
"Is your death that's coming."

But it was pretty well summed up in earlier posts.
It's Star Wars, says it on the box. In Star Wars, aliens speak alien because they can - and you can understand them because your player character actually cared to learn their language.
Council of The West

Andaliel - lvl50 Miraluka Sage || Andalei - lvl50 Mirialan Gunslinger

CharagonIGN's Avatar


CharagonIGN
12.16.2011 , 06:28 AM | #9
Racist

Slift's Avatar


Slift
12.16.2011 , 06:31 AM | #10
Cerzeka universal translator.

Grade 1 blue quality companion gift.


I'm guessing all the player characters (Or, nearly everyone, period) has one.