Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Number/Types of Characters in Names

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > New Player Help
Number/Types of Characters in Names

Saphrinka
12.13.2011 , 08:13 PM | #1
My husband and I haven't gained access yet, and this was more of a problem during testing, so I have no idea if this issue still applies. BUT, I thought it would be worth asking just in case.

Is there a limit to the number of characters one can use in their name? Also, are there any characters that we cannot use in names at all? Hubby had quite a bit of trouble picking a name during testing because the popup that appeared didn't specify what he had done wrong - all it said was something along the lines of "invalid characters," but nothing about whether he'd entered too many characters, or what he couldn't use. Has this been changed at all?

Thanks!

Nomenclature
12.13.2011 , 08:16 PM | #2
I believe the only special character you can use is the apostrophe. No spaces either. Hope that helps.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
your superior intellect is no match for my puney braiN!
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Krie_Marina
12.13.2011 , 08:39 PM | #3
Correct on no spaces, at least in beta. I don't think I was able to use alt codes either for characters such as ♥ hearts, nor unicode characters.

Saphrinka
12.13.2011 , 08:51 PM | #4
Ahh, that does make sense. Part of his problem was indeed that silly space that he wanted to use. (Not so much a problem for me, since I favor Twi'leks. )

Anyone know if there's also a character limit?

Frigidman
12.13.2011 , 09:19 PM | #5
This is what I know of:
  • A-Z a-z
  • Hypen (one)
  • Apostrophe (one)
  • No numbers.
  • No spaces.
  • Nothing that involves 'shift' that isn't an upper case letter.
  • Only one capital letter allowed.
  • Minimum is 3 characters.
  • Maximum 15 characters.
Hire website designers that actually have had real life experience in the job.
Then let me know so I can return to the forum.

Saphrinka
12.15.2011 , 05:00 PM | #6
That definitely helps! ^^ We haven't gotten in yet, so now we can properly plan names (well, as best as we can provided they haven't been taken). Thanks!

JakeLightbearer
12.15.2011 , 05:02 PM | #7
If your husband was looking for a surname, you can get one around lvl 30 (but it applies to your entire account for that server).

slyvarius
12.15.2011 , 05:25 PM | #8
Thank God for no stupid ascii characters.

Saphrinka
12.15.2011 , 07:14 PM | #9
In point of fact, he was actually looking to put in a surname at first. Thankfully, the first name he wanted hadn't been taken, so he was able to use that by itself. I just recently read about the Legacy stuff, so once I told him about that (plus the other unseen rules) it made more sense. I think he'll be itching to get lv 30 just for that though! XD