Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Use North/South/East/West Please

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Use North/South/East/West Please

Dezeit
02.15.2012 , 05:41 PM | #21
I beg to differ on the NESW comment always being used in reference to the map. Its just as possible people will count facing out of the spawn point as North.

Thats why Left Mid Right is simpler and easier to understand.

Puppup
02.15.2012 , 05:43 PM | #22
What about port and starboard?

Junostorm
02.15.2012 , 05:45 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Puppup View Post
What about port and starboard?
Not to mention bow and stern.

How many people do you know that can read a compass, let alone use it.
Jun÷ - Gunslinger | Armoury - Vanguard | Jun˘ - Sentinel
The Stormtooth Legecy
New and improved, now with even more threat!
Total Aggression Gaming - Republic - The Shadowlands server

Arrys
02.15.2012 , 05:50 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Justgiveme View Post
If north is up, west is left, east is right and south is down... why not just say up, down, left and right?
because if you are currently facing south left = east and right = west. That is if the player keys the direction not from the map but from their perceived charachter orientation at the moment or say from the drop into civil war that round (assuming they remember).

Therefore if you are the team heading south in civil war it can get confuzzling to noobs.

North is always north, south is always south, east is always east, west is always west. They do require player translation from their current orientation.

I always figured whichever is used those that didn't make it wouldn't have helped.

Maxil
02.15.2012 , 05:51 PM | #25
I still don't think some even recognize what the issue is. Depending whether your Empire or Republic, the -mini map- will face different directions. One being different than the -full map-.

The problem arises when some people use the mini-map as reference, and others the full map. This can reverse the entire compass layout, and I believe in hutball even the full map is flipped, not sure though.

IMHO the callout should be from the full page map. Not from spawn, where if people are in the field and turned around have to stop and think about it. Not from the compass because of the flipping, and those of us who play both factions again have to analyze what they are talking about.

With the full page map you can appraise the situation quickly and see where everyone is at as you wait/run out of the spawn, no reason not to use that function.

WilhufT
02.15.2012 , 06:06 PM | #26
What happened to the ancient 'skill' of calling out bearings? 0 degrees is 'up' on the map and you circle around 359 degrees.
-- 90 is 'right'
-- 180 is 'down'
-- 270 is 'left'

The question of 'right' and 'left' dissapears with bearing. Well, assuming that 0 is 'up.'
Too hard to do, I know.
For over a thousand generations the Jedi Knights were the guardians of peace and justice in the Old Republic.

CrunchyGremlin
02.15.2012 , 06:09 PM | #27
When people say they are using cardinal directions they are not.
when they say east they really mean the east gun not actually east. On these small maps they just happen to mean the same thing. But if there were 5 guns/doors in a line then east would not be as useful. Neither would left.

landmarks work work better in almost every instance as long as i can see the landmark from anywhere on the map or its explained so many times that its common knowledge. Thats a matter of knowing the map not knowing a direction. IMHO map knowledge is PvP content and it requires "skill" to learn a map or rather once a map is learned i have "skill".

I dont see it called out but i use the drop ships in CW. they are big and i can see them from pretty much anywhere. I know where W/E/L/R gun is immediately and i know the fastest route to either based on that.
The mini map does the same thing. I look at the minimap and i should know where everything is based on what i visually see and my facing on the minimap.

for republic if they are facing left on the minimap they are going to the left gun.
for empire if they are facing left on the minimap they are going to their right gun.

The empire has a non intuitive UI.
I soloed Ilum completing all of the objectives.
30 sentinel ,40 Shadow, 18 Scoundrel
Why cant we win at WZ's Universe at war RPGPVP progression Re-install DX9 for better perf?

Asunasan
02.15.2012 , 06:18 PM | #28
The enemy gate is down.

Kai-Eurah-Tird
02.15.2012 , 06:19 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Rizenxin View Post
Ain't that hard folks. Look at your minimap (which doesn't have a rotate option). Cardinal directions were invented so that ya newbs could orient yourself toward an accepted standard of direction.

For those of you with directional handicaps:
  • North is up,
  • West is left,
  • East is right,
  • South is down.

Learn it and use it instead of calling left/right. Spread the method in PvP til it catches (or until the TORtanic hits its iceberg). GGHF
This is what happens when you take money out of public education. >_>

Briljin
02.15.2012 , 06:21 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by Justgiveme View Post
If north is up, west is left, east is right and south is down... why not just say up, down, left and right?
Now don't bring common sense into this debate!