Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Changing resolution without being in game

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > New Player Help
Changing resolution without being in game

Greywen
12.13.2011 , 03:55 PM | #1
I'm having a problem trying to log in, every time I do it gives me a black screen and my monitor says not optimal resolution. I can still hear the music etc, I need to change the resolution without being in game. Is there a file that has user resolution settings or is that stored server side?

ManikIsrik
12.13.2011 , 03:56 PM | #2
i had the same problem. if you have a new hd tv..hook it up via hdmi cable and then you can see the resolution. Your problem is your resolution ingame is set higher than what your monitor will allow.

Greywen
12.13.2011 , 04:01 PM | #3
That's what I figured, I don't have an HD TV though.

Helmetshmo
12.13.2011 , 04:02 PM | #4
I'm having the same problem Wasn't happening in Beta though. I have a Dell monitor with no HDMI input. Hopefully they change it so the auto setting is lower than it is now because I can't even get into the game to change it

Synalon
12.13.2011 , 04:13 PM | #5
I used to have a similar problem with my hdv and another game, in the end the way to fix it was to set the game to windowed mode. This forced it to run at the same refresh rate as my desktop and then I could see the options and set them to a working configuration.

The other option is to look where ToR is installed for some kind of .cfg file, usually theres a video resolution line in those, and if you open it with notepad you can set the game to start at the same resolution as your desktop.

Hope this helps
Jen'Taral
Empire Rp/PvP
[Recruitment Thread]

Greywen
12.13.2011 , 04:15 PM | #6
http://www.swtor.com/community/showt...9001#post79001

That thread helped me fix it, you can set the game to windowed through the client_defaults file.

orobully
12.14.2011 , 10:15 AM | #7
i still have this problem, even with trying all these fixes, any more help. please

LordTeras
12.14.2011 , 08:35 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by orobully View Post
i still have this problem, even with trying all these fixes, any more help. please
Same issue, putting it in windowed full screen fixed mine.

**note there is another options file, users/YOURCOMPUTERNAME/app data/local/swtor. You will need to change it there to get back in. Hope it helps
Harbinger IGN "Skillset"
Harbinger IGN "Urakto"
SWG Days = Genghis<RCR> Lowca Server