Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why no combat gathering?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
Why no combat gathering?

Ghengis_John
12.14.2011 , 08:02 PM | #31
Quote: Originally Posted by Jadalyn View Post
Its the perception of being a jerk that could be avoided.

If I'm fighting and I want to get a node that gets stolen by another player - they are a jerk.
If I want a node and another player is fighting the mobs by it - I'm the jerk.

But Why?
You ever hear the expression "two wrongs don't make a right"?

Let me put it another way, you are hurting people because other people hurt you. And you're spreading more negativity by acting on your anger too. To paraphrase Nietzsche, you've become the monsters you were fighting.

I'm afraid being the good guy means losing sometimes. Sad but true.

Quote: Originally Posted by Katnap View Post
What's sad is this makes me really wary of playing this game. I'm coming from LOTRO and jacking nodes is a pretty rare thing. Usually it happens by accident if a person doesn't see you because of environmental obstacles.
Coming from WoW I can tell you there it happens... ALL the time. No doubt I'll hate it here too, but I expect things will clear up a bit when the launch gold rush dies down a bit. I hope so at any rate. I would advise you to go to a PVE server, maybe it's due to the less competitive nature but people on PVE servers (in WoW at least) tended to be very courteous, laid-back and relaxed. Even from the "enemy" faction.

Obbu
12.14.2011 , 08:07 PM | #32
If you've played an mmo before you'll know that anyone fighting next to a node has a chance that they want to gather it - if you really want the node you can have two choices:
  • wait 10 sec to see if they harvest it
  • harvest it and risk looking like a bastard

I always wait, its only a matter of seconds. Unless they're opposite faction of course, in which case it depends on my mood

Rebornlos
12.14.2011 , 08:07 PM | #33
For those that are advent wow bashers...If you tag a node and get in combat in WoW you get the node tag. It is not a system that can not be implemented, because its already out there. I know a few times when I would tag a node get ganked and killed before I could mine it, by some jerk that was mad that I beat him to it, I would come back from the gy and still have the tag cause they couldn't mine it. If Bioware wanted to put in a tag system they could. Maybe they will look into it.
Something,something, something...dark side.

Obbu
12.14.2011 , 08:09 PM | #34
Quote: Originally Posted by Rebornlos View Post
For those that are advent wow bashers...If you tag a node and get in combat in WoW you get the node tag. It is not a system that can not be implemented, because its already out there. I know a few times when I would tag a node get ganked and killed before I could mine it, by some jerk that was mad that I beat him to it, I would come back from the gy and still have the tag cause they couldn't mine it. If Bioware wanted to put in a tag system they could. Maybe they will look into it.
I personally dont see any problem with a shared resource goal being an incentive to pvp, especially if you are on a pvp server.

Ghengis_John
12.14.2011 , 08:13 PM | #35
Quote: Originally Posted by Rebornlos View Post
Since when? I quit at the start of Cata and node ganking was a constant occurrence in scholozar and icecrown. I myself killed people who'd killed me mid-mining and took their nodes, as they had taken mine. I never enjoyed it mind you, but you didn't get a "tag" even up to then. So I'm curious when it changed. I suspect those people were just trying to corpse camp you or were waiting for you to come back for your node.

VanCarak
12.14.2011 , 08:19 PM | #36
Quote: Originally Posted by Ghengis_John View Post
Since when? I quit at the start of Cata and node ganking was a constant occurrence in scholozar and icecrown. I myself killed people who'd killed me mid-mining and took their nodes, as they had taken mine. I never enjoyed it mind you, but you didn't get a "tag" even up to then. So I'm curious when it changed.
It hasn't. I played up until the most recent patch and there is no flipping "tag node". If you switch to killing the mob (and they interrupt your mining if they strike you) the other person gets the node.
Cathar? Pshaw! That's so last patch. Give us Shistavanen, or give us Death!