Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Horrid FPS

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Eterz
01.27.2012 , 09:42 PM | #661
Quote: Originally Posted by danisawesome View Post
Also, the CPU may be the culprit, but I really have no idea.
For sure it is, we have been saying that for about 1 month. And i5s @3Ghz are much more powerfull than old generation CPUs @3Ghz, or AMD Phenoms, for this game atleast.

I have a quadcore Q6600 @2.9Ghz, and I should be able to run this game correctly. Well, it runs, I have 50-80FPS outdoor (without shadows), but in warzones it can drop to 10 or less in combat, and in Ilum it can drop to 5... That's unacceptable.

If Wakatanka is right (see older posts), it may come from Inter-Process Communication. Unlike other games, Swtor uses 2 processes that communicate to each other.
So, last gen i5s and i7s seem to be more capable than other CPUs to perform this task.

And I don't think 95% of the gamers have these last gen CPUs, so they're lying to us.

Stephen Reid said it himself on twitter: "Don't expect a miracle". We'll see what they have to say tomorrow, but that would be a shame if that guide doesn't solve this huge problem...

Unscathed
01.27.2012 , 09:43 PM | #662
When i set my setting to what the game thinks i should be playing it at it sets me for max yet i get 10-30 fps in warzones... so the game thinks i should play this like a dream... i like the ship i get 40-110 fps as soon as i step out its like ohhh **** im getting a headache.. take me back PLEASE lol

I notice when i change planet the game slows down to like 5 fps from 80...

anywhere that has players on screen for example fleet and warzones... it lags

any sort of comabt as a jug i think the skill is force leap i will freeze for a second so i guess that is 0fps

i was just in a warzone people saying MY RIG IS POWERFUL why do i have lag as soon as i start fighting

i just told him the game is broken lol... i was expecting to get trolled at that point but no one defended the game a few agree..

its not 5%.. thing is a i like the game if i disliked it i would have been gone on week 2 of launch as i get bored of most other MMOs within that time..

Xrazor
01.27.2012 , 09:53 PM | #663
Quote: Originally Posted by NutellaCrepe View Post
No, you MIGHT get good FPS, people with 2k rigs have posted that they are part of the so called 5% with 10-20 FPS in warzones.
Yeah this is so true. I have an i5 2500k with dual GTX 460s 1GB each, and 8gig DDR3 and a 7200 RPM HD on my main machine, and my son's machine is a 9750 AMD Phenom Quad-Core with 8gig DDR2 and a GT 430 1GB video card. My machine can run it fine with 1 or both cards enabled in SLI.

My son's machine does fine in PVE a strong 30-50fps all day long, but in PVP Warzones or on Fleet bases it takes a nose dive to as low as 8-10 fps. I've experimented a lot and with or without all the options maxed the FPS are identical.

Even my machine drops from 110-80 fps to as low as 30-50 fps in PVP WZ and on fleet bases, but I have FPS to spare I guess.

I even went as far as purchasing a new PSU for the AMD rig so I could swap one of my factory overclocked 460s into his machine, since I can do just fine with a single card, as this game doesn't do SLI very well, sometimes it simply uses one card and not both too oddly.

And on his machine with a new PSU and the GTX 460 over the GT 430 my results are IDENTICAL. Crap performance in PVP WZ and on Fleet bases. So it doesn't seem that upgrades will do much, and I'm tempted to build another i5 2400 instead of a 2500k for his machine, but I'm afraid it will be money wasted with this game.

As it stands that machine with the 9750/8gig DDR2 and the GT 430 and a 7200 rpm HD runs Skyrim, Battlefield 3, Crysis 2, WOW and everything else I can throw at it just fine at the max rez of 1440x900 (max his monitor will support) with most eye candy maxed even. But this game that doens't look nearly as good as those other titles can't get more than 8-10 fps minimum in a PVP match.

All of this leads me to believe that the code is simply unoptimized and second-rate. More so since people with hardware better than mine have worst performance than I do. So hardware upgrades to play this game are pointless I believe.

Dexxius
01.27.2012 , 09:53 PM | #664
So we have any idea when they are putting this guide out?
The dark side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural.

Fellthar
01.27.2012 , 09:54 PM | #665
Quote: Originally Posted by danisawesome View Post
Nice! Might as well make use of the extra % it wasn't using in the first place.
100% agree. Very pleasing lol.

Fellthar
01.27.2012 , 09:56 PM | #666
Quote: Originally Posted by Dexxius View Post
So we have any idea when they are putting this guide out?
They said yesterday evening that it might be as early as today... but that implies it might not be today, so we just have to wait a bit I guess. They implied it would be very soon though, as they are just putting the finishing touches on it.

Xrazor
01.27.2012 , 09:59 PM | #667
Quote: Originally Posted by Lord_Itharius View Post
You'll make no progress. We've been trying to for a month, there seems to be no miracle solutions of any kind. The game is just hopelessly unoptimized or there's some fundamental hardware compatibility issue.
This...

JovethGonzalez
01.27.2012 , 10:15 PM | #668 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
Quote: Originally Posted by JovethGonzalez View Post
Hi folks, I apologize for the delay in updates on this issue, but as I mentioned before, we needed time to gather data and put all of our information together in one digestible format.

We just finished editing a document that we hope to be able to publish as a forum post here in the CS forums as early as tomorrow.

I can tell you that it's going to be a guide on optimization performance (which includes FPS) for your PCs.

Thank you all for sharing your experiences here and for your patience as we work to continually improve your gaming experience.
Hi folks, just as an update to this, I did say as early as tomorrow, but it's looking more like Monday. The post is in its final stages of editing and we should be able to post soon.

Thank you

Fellthar
01.27.2012 , 10:18 PM | #669
Quote: Originally Posted by JovethGonzalez View Post
Hi folks, just as an update to this, I did say as early as tomorrow, but it's looking more like Monday. The post is in its final stages of editing and we should be able to post soon.

Thank you
I was looking forward to this today, so I won't lie, I am a little disappointed, but I appreciate the update regardless. It's much better than being in the dark. Thanks.

Any more hints on the type of stuff we might see in this post/document?

Dexxius
01.27.2012 , 10:28 PM | #670
Balls! It better help, Thanks would be in worder but you guys are hella late with this guide.
The dark side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural.