Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Any well written SW books?

BrandonSM
01.21.2012 , 10:52 PM | #31
Quote: Originally Posted by Jorander View Post
He is still good, and the stories he tells are still of incredibly high quality and worthy of recognition. But I personally don't believe he is a true master of the art, not like Stover or Luceno anyway, even though I recognize that he basically breathed life into the EU. As soon as I have the spare coin, I am going to pick up a copy of Darth Plagueis, but I already blew my two previous months' worth of book budget on a deluxe copy of Book of Sith: Secrets of the Dark Side.
I love Stover, but he only does Stand Aloens. Which isn't necessarily bad thing, Shatterpoint is my favorite Stand Alone book. He also made RoTS seem meaningful.

I've never a Luceno book before Plageuis, but I've been interested in plageuis for a while, he has seemed such a mystery and now he I lvoe his novel.

(Though, after reading the book, the movie becomes laods better.)
Hapan: "This creature has information that could lead us to a woman who has been kidnapped. We will get that information."
Luke: "This woman is a citizen of the New Republic, and if you do not take your hands off her, I will take your hands off you."

jsdcaedus
01.22.2012 , 09:40 AM | #32
the new-jedi order series is what got me into the books. really slow to start though, as it kinda takes 5 books to establish the story and become immersed in the vong mythology, but by the time you finish up 'star by star', you'll probably be crying, haha. later in that series 'traitor' and 'destiny's way' are absolutely amazing. other than that, timothy zhan is always a safe bet, but he doesn't do a lot of SW books these days. he did create the most famous chiss of all time, my alt's namesake (Mitth'raw'nuria), admiral thrawn.

the novelization of 3 made me wish i had never even watched anything in the movie except for the lightsaber battles, lol. it's really good.

if you're into the fun of the larger stories of fleet actions, the duology inside of NJO, Rebel Stand and Rebel Dream are both extremely well written and fun reads. imagine super star destroyer vs. yuuzhan vong worldship. epic battle with an even more epic ending.

jedi academy series also very good.

books to avoid like the rak'ghoul plague: the joiner trilogy. set between NJO and the 9 book 'legacy' series, it basically tries pathetically to make a decent story read out of the 5 years between the two series. it is so boring and poorly written, this is the only mini-series i could not bring myself to finish. if you actually enjoyed this please say so. not for flaming purposes though, lol. just curious what redeeming qualities anyone could find with that train wreck.

jsdcaedus
01.22.2012 , 09:42 AM | #33
oh yeah the legacy series as well. imagine a descendant of the skywalker clan learning jedi killing techniques from boba-fett. yeah, it's that awesome.

i like the current series, but its hard to tell where it's gonna end up...

Samurro
01.25.2012 , 05:11 PM | #34
Quote: Originally Posted by XTchazTX View Post
The first book of the Bane trilogy is excellent.
Couldn't agree more! I was a bit disappointed after reading the trilogy because it started so nice and the ending was meh...

Darth Banes first book was defintely the best!
Style > Skill > Stats

Darth Suffocation - Open World PVP

DMtyrisis
01.25.2012 , 05:27 PM | #35
In relation to the game, The Malgus and Revan books are both entertaining, but not worth reading for anything other than game lore. Also, the Bane Trilogy is entertaining, and the Vader book too, but long term they are all forgettable.

The Thrawn Trilogy is what started the whole EU.

Zahn did an excellent job capturing the feel of the original trilogy. He handles the characters masterfully, and adds a few of his own that have become as well loved as the originals.

I have read probably 90% of the EU novels, and Zahn's are the only ones that truly stand out.

Dreeb
01.26.2012 , 03:44 AM | #36
I agree with the poster above, the Timothy Zahn novels are the best imo.
The Thrawn Trilogy really stands out in my opinion.
| Ztoke Victus - Bounty Hunter / Mercenary |