Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Do you really want to be first in?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Do you really want to be first in?

Motivationman
12.14.2011 , 04:26 PM | #1
I preordered November 15th and it could still be days before I get into early access. I figure there are tons of people like me who were convinced to preorder by the quality of the game at the beta weekends. I'm not stressing about not being in yet though. Here is why:

Do you really want to be in when most of the servers have light populations? I don't want to have trouble finding groups for heroic quests/flashpoints (sith juggernaut my chosen class is not good for soloing that kind of stuff). Also many zones are very tedious to go through unless they have multiple people suppressing the mobs (I can't imagine how little fun it would be go go through Lord Grathan's estate on Dromund Kaas alone for example, the mob density/respawn is too much for one person).

I think it would be much more fun to level with plenty of people around so groups are easier to find and high density zones can be culled a bit. Ideally for leveling I'd like to be near the median level of the server so there are people to play with. Being first on and racing to end game to be alone and bored does not appeal to me.

I want to play as much as the next guy but bioware is being conservative about letting in too many people at once and I agree. I don't want to spend hours in a queue or have servers crash. Also I don't want them to open up a bunch of extra servers at launch just to close or merge them in a few months due to the inevitable drop off that every MMO has. That would create bad press for the game and give ammunition for all the people saying this game will fail and go free to play which I definitely don't want. I want this game to succeed, I plan for this to be the main game I play for one expansion cycle at least (with some time off for mass effect and diablo 3 of course). I think not going all in and flooded in everybody at once is a good plan and I'm willing to defer gratification a bit. I think those of us not in yet will be happier when we are in and the game is playable and not crashing or a ghost town.

Fenatic
12.14.2011 , 04:27 PM | #2
I like the guys comment in another thread. You want a girl scout cookie for that? I got thin mint and snikerdoodle.. no wait, you aren't worth my thin mints.
My favorite whiner thread title so far. "Stephen Reid/@Rockjaw: Your EGA tears are not real issues"

Restepor
12.14.2011 , 04:29 PM | #3
I'm mostly a solo player and mostly selfish so naturally I want to be the first one in. But I do have to chew on what you said and well, I can't argue that I would not want a good amount of people for group questing.

Xassifax
12.14.2011 , 04:31 PM | #4
yea.. a lose-lose situation right? you either get to play solo for a few days... or you dont get to play at all. Makes perfect sense for a massively MULTIPLAYER game

Eliminate
12.14.2011 , 04:42 PM | #5
i know i am not the first one in^^
who cares ?!
but i would be disappointed and probably will if i cant go in today,
and play some in this awesome world they made for us.

I guess most people misread the up to 5 days as being 5 days while it could be 1 minute early access . say hello to the wonderfull world of oh well fek it,
i wanna get in now ;p