Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Could another SW sandbox game be tried?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Could another SW sandbox game be tried?

georgemattson
01.17.2012 , 09:38 AM | #41
Quote: Originally Posted by mathalsolo View Post
Smedley also stated that working with a 3rd Party IP can be 'hell', implying Lucasarts since this was a question he fielded during development of DCOL, their only other 3rd party IP they developed at the time.

I totally respect people's opinions about SOE. I never felt as strongly against them as most, especially after my experience during the 'golden age' of EQ2 which was mostly positive. And I'm not saying they're not to blame for the NGE, but they weren't the only one to blame.

It just seems like people like to place 100% of the blame for the CU/NGE on SOE because of their track record but fail to remember:
A) this was Lucasarts 1st MMO
B) People speculated LA was going to pull the plug at the end of 2005 if 'something wasnt done'
C) It was Lucasarts employee Julio Torres who played up the NGE's 'star warsy and iconic' gameplay in a way that made him look like the second coming of Rick McCallum
D) While he was doing that, SOE employee Tiggs was fired for flipping out about how the CU and NGE were mishandled from both sides, all started from LA's constant obsession of 'changing the game'.

IMO, the seed was planted by LA, under the pain of pulling the plug...SOE obviously coded the monstrosity that is the NGE, so you can't go without blaming them as well either. I'm just saying that, again, IMO, placing blame solely on SOE is utterly wrong.
Completely agreed, but it's kinda like having a mob enforcer show up to your house and beat your family senseless in front of you, then trying to forgive the enforcer because he's just following orders. I don't for a minute think LA wasn't a big factor in this decision, and I've felt for nearly 30 years that Lucas doesn't care about anything other than the money, but we've had enough decent games over the years that I still thought there was a chance that SWG would continue to get better instead of going down the toilet the way it did.

The forum thing, though, was really what set me off. Maybe I'm misremembering things (bitterness will do that to you, I'm sure), but I seem to recall a lot of blatant denial of everything we had to say about the CU. There was no attempt to deal with us in a straightforward and honest manner; it was just, "give it a chance, you'll like it." And when we said we had tried it on the test server and quite emphatically did not like it, we got deafening silence in return.

I don't know how much more blatant they could have been in saying, "We don't want your susbcriptions because there's not enough of you. We want the 1 million+ subscriptions we think we'll get by changing over to World of Star Wars craft." Would there have been any way to soften that blow or say it a bit more nicely? I don't know, but what I do know is that I've never seen a gaming company so blatantly give the middle finger to their fans.

And that is why I will never forgive SOE and will bash them until the day John Smedley leaves.

rigormortua
01.17.2012 , 11:25 AM | #42
Quote: Originally Posted by georgemattson View Post
Completely agreed, but it's kinda like having a mob enforcer show up to your house and beat your family senseless in front of you, then trying to forgive the enforcer because he's just following orders. I don't for a minute think LA wasn't a big factor in this decision, and I've felt for nearly 30 years that Lucas doesn't care about anything other than the money, but we've had enough decent games over the years that I still thought there was a chance that SWG would continue to get better instead of going down the toilet the way it did.

The forum thing, though, was really what set me off. Maybe I'm misremembering things (bitterness will do that to you, I'm sure), but I seem to recall a lot of blatant denial of everything we had to say about the CU. There was no attempt to deal with us in a straightforward and honest manner; it was just, "give it a chance, you'll like it." And when we said we had tried it on the test server and quite emphatically did not like it, we got deafening silence in return.

I don't know how much more blatant they could have been in saying, "We don't want your susbcriptions because there's not enough of you. We want the 1 million+ subscriptions we think we'll get by changing over to World of Star Wars craft." Would there have been any way to soften that blow or say it a bit more nicely? I don't know, but what I do know is that I've never seen a gaming company so blatantly give the middle finger to their fans.

And that is why I will never forgive SOE and will bash them until the day John Smedley leaves.
The whole SWG NGE left a very bitter taste in my mouth the masses were ignored and the god almighty dollar was king. Lets make it Linear lets make it simple. Forget the peoples interactions with one another. I do blame LA for much of the troubles that they had and I hope they learned a Valuble lesson LISTEN TO YOUR PLAYERS...

Fyurii
01.17.2012 , 12:52 PM | #43
Quote: Originally Posted by BrandonSM View Post
Bethesda did. Obsidian is the publisher, like Activision. Bethesda is the game company. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bethesda_Softworks

Like BW is the game company and EA is the publisher.
You're still wrong, even the wikipedia link you povided shows that New Vegas wasn't made by Bethesda.

After they bought the Fallout IP, they made Fallout3.
The next Fallout game, New Vegas, was made by Obsidian and published by Bethesda Softworks.

It's not that hard to verify.
________║≤o≥║___________
/_______TROOPER___≡≡≡≡≡≡≡╡
\_/‾‾‾‾ // ╝‾‾╚▄▄▄▄▄/‾‾‾‾‾

georgemattson
01.17.2012 , 01:32 PM | #44
Quote: Originally Posted by rigormortua View Post
The whole SWG NGE left a very bitter taste in my mouth the masses were ignored and the god almighty dollar was king. Lets make it Linear lets make it simple. Forget the peoples interactions with one another. I do blame LA for much of the troubles that they had and I hope they learned a Valuble lesson LISTEN TO YOUR PLAYERS...
Well, hopefully SOE will learn (and John Smedley has at least admitted they made a mistake, so it's possible). George Lucas will never learn.

Heck, maybe that's the answer; once George Lucas finally kicks the bucket (not that I wish him any harm) and someone else takes over, maybe that person will care enough to try something different.