Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Is there any evidence....

Wolfninjajedi
01.12.2012 , 12:42 AM | #1
Is there any evidence in books of jedi going hand to hand combat? I mean in the movies, we see little of this going on.

Qui-gon & Obi-Wan vs Maul

Obi-Wan vs Anakin

Obi-Wan vs Jango

Are really the only areas in the movies, where we see some form of fighting without their lightsabers. I would think and rather hope so that jedi would be excellent, if not masters in hand to hand combat due to the fact they pretty much train up close with their lightsabers. In fact I would also like to think, that their lightsaber style also helps them with hand to hand. In the movies they show little bits and peices of them using hand to hand, but at the same time they don't seem to make the jedi any good at it(though guess you can exclude Obi vs Jango).

Edit: Wait actually watching Obi-Wan vs Jango and really looking at it, Obi was kicking Jango's ***(least hand to hand wise)....but anyway my question still stands.
"There is one lesson you've yet to learn. How to become one with the Force!"
―Cin Drallig to Darth Vader

Maucs the Tauntaun King, former SWG player.

Cwyn
01.12.2012 , 06:32 AM | #2
By "hand to hand" combat, I assume you mean unarmed combat. In my experience, hand to hand combat is just another term for melee combat, which can include weapons.

In light of unarmed combat, Star Wars lore has an unarmed combat tradition known as Tras Ksi. It was developed by non-Force sensitives to fight Jedi and Sith alike but, some of them were suspected of adopting some of the unarmed fighting style.

GhostRiderLSOV
01.12.2012 , 06:44 AM | #3
And you wouldn't like to pick a fight againt a wookie Teras Kasi master in SWG (pre-CU, not sure about later).
"Every little thing that helps."
Hile'Iteu Lightgrasp - Jedi Guardian
On the Frostclaw server

Malefik
01.12.2012 , 07:11 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Cwyn View Post
By "hand to hand" combat, I assume you mean unarmed combat. In my experience, hand to hand combat is just another term for melee combat, which can include weapons.

In light of unarmed combat, Star Wars lore has an unarmed combat tradition known as Tras Ksi. It was developed by non-Force sensitives to fight Jedi and Sith alike but, some of them were suspected of adopting some of the unarmed fighting style.
In the movie where Darth Maul Is fighting Obi and Qui Maul uses a move called "flying bantha." Teras Kasi. Back on the old SWG forums there was a quote form a book saying Darth Maul had indeed studied Teras Kasi. Note his use of a "staff " light saber.
BLESSED DARKNESS
~~~x~~~~~x~~~~~x~~~~~x~~~~x~~~~~x~~~~~x~~~~~x~~~
~~x~~x~~> May the Dark Light shine! <~~x~~x~~

Serving the Dark Side since 1999

angry-broom
01.14.2012 , 07:34 AM | #5
Meetra (Exile) fought hand to hand with a bunch of handmaidens
Quote: Originally Posted by BartElroy View Post
You know, if I can spare 25 gig for the abortion that is "The Force Unleashed" I can spare 100g for this game, and I will look at Bioware and say "Thank you sir, can I have some more?

SNCommand
01.14.2012 , 07:39 AM | #6
It's not exactly from a book source, but the original Clone Wars series had Mace Windu fought using his fists after losing his lightsaber

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7A07WNupEXk
Quote: Originally Posted by Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw
Personally I would slap Georges hands away from the editing desk, give him a colouring book and then remake the entire prequel trilogy so that Darth Vader uses the force to win breakdance competitions and chokes to death anyone who utters the word midichlorians.

Oonkeh_
01.14.2012 , 09:52 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by angry-broom View Post
Meetra (Exile) fought hand to hand with a bunch of handmaidens
Indeed. It is confirmed that the Jedi Order (and the Sith, iirc) did train students Martial Arts as a fallback/last resort. Just that said "Martial arts" haven't really been titled.. Teras Kasi was said to have been adopted by the Jedi and they were trained in it to some degree. Complicating as the Mandalorians themselves have their own hand-to-hand form as well.

Meetra however studied the Echani form (more specifically proportions of it). The Echani were reverred for being amazing hand-to-hand combatants.

Isn't there some lore-material which says that the Teras Kasi form adopted some of the Echani art as a basis? I think I remember reading that somewhere.
I feed on spleeeeeens...

BrandonSM
01.14.2012 , 10:20 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Wolfninjajedi View Post
Is there any evidence in books of jedi going hand to hand combat? I mean in the movies, we see little of this going on.

Qui-gon & Obi-Wan vs Maul

Obi-Wan vs Anakin

Obi-Wan vs Jango

Are really the only areas in the movies, where we see some form of fighting without their lightsabers. I would think and rather hope so that jedi would be excellent, if not masters in hand to hand combat due to the fact they pretty much train up close with their lightsabers. In fact I would also like to think, that their lightsaber style also helps them with hand to hand. In the movies they show little bits and peices of them using hand to hand, but at the same time they don't seem to make the jedi any good at it(though guess you can exclude Obi vs Jango).

Edit: Wait actually watching Obi-Wan vs Jango and really looking at it, Obi was kicking Jango's ***(least hand to hand wise)....but anyway my question still stands.

Watch a few TCW shows and even though its not in the movies read Shatterpoint.

Mace goes insane with Unarmed Fighting.
Hapan: "This creature has information that could lead us to a woman who has been kidnapped. We will get that information."
Luke: "This woman is a citizen of the New Republic, and if you do not take your hands off her, I will take your hands off you."

Mechavomit
01.14.2012 , 01:07 PM | #9
Remeber Obi-Wan vs. Grievous? Does that count?

LordQordisz
01.15.2012 , 06:25 AM | #10
I think like real warriors they just went at it with the weapons and hand to hand as a last resort. Like people used to train with rapiers and swords or all types and grappling and boxing, but I think that was a last resort in combat. So you work the saber first until you lose it like Kenobi did.
Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken.