Synthweaving - Just Power Crystals?

Omite

I'm planning doing synthweaving as my crafting skill.

I know it requires Rubat power crystals. Does it also require other forms of crystal to make higher level or higher quality items?

The reason I ask is because I would like to take under world trading and slicing instead of archaeology and just buy the power crystals.

Edited by Omite

Cool! So if I take UWT and arch I should have all the shems I need as well as the crystals and whatnot?
Nope. Most rare schematics does not translate into all rare schematics. To be totally self-sufficient you'd have to level multiple characters in different companion skills.

That said, as a Synthweaver the most efficient combination of skills is Synthweaving/Archaeology/Underworld Trading.

Edited by HeavensAgent

Synthweaving by itself will be providing you with good base recipes for items. Remember that you can reverse engineer anything you create to get a fraction of it's materials back as well as a chance to discover a more 'advanced' version of the item. You can do this up to 'purple' level-item. (i.e. you take a green item you just crafted, R/E it, and you may learn a blue recipe, craft the blue, R/E it and you may learn the 'top' recipe, purple).

Hope it helps. For the record, I went with Archa & UT and didn't have much of a problem crafting with Synthweaving.

As a Sage healer, is it a good idea for me to take up Synthweaving, Arch and UWT? What about Treasure Hunting instead of UWT? What does Synthweaving produce exactly? Will it be armor that is useful by a Sage healer?

Any help would be appreciated.

In Beta I went Artifice, Archaeologist and Treasure Hunting but I'm reading there are more useful combinations.

Thanks

No, it's the same. You need archaeology for the power crystals so you can create the armor. More advanced armors will require materials from underworld trading.

Synthweaving creates Heavy Armor for Tanks, Medium Armor for DPS and Light Armor for Force users. You will notice that all light armor will be providing +willpower, which is your primary stat.

i read somewere that if you have SW,ARCH;and DIP

you get more light armor recipis and if you have UWT you get more meduim and if you have TH you get heavy armor recipies. can anyone veryfy this?

Diplomacy used to provide materials for light armor. They swapped luxury fabrics to UWT and moved spices to Diplomacy(renaming them medical supplies). This way classes other than JC/SI can make full use of Diplomacy.

Anyway, to make rare medium and heavy armor you need underworld metals. To make rare light armor you need luxury fabrics. Both of these are provided by Underworld Trading.

There is also a small chance an Underworld Trading mission will reward a crafting schematic for a customizable piece of armor. This can be for Armormech or Synthweaving, has empty slots, and mimics the appearance of armor you can otherwise only get from quest rewards. For instance, one of the first Armormech schematics is the leather jacket Smugglers wear at the start of the game. These items are lightly class limited by side, which led to problems with getting a lot of Sith only recipes in the previous beta.

You also have a chance of getting schematics for regular blue armor from Investigation missions. These are the rare armors from previous builds such as Vindicator Leggings, Overseer Body Armor, and so on. Most of these aren't customizable now which is a shame, since Avenger Leggings were some of the best looking Guardian pants.

Synthweaving by itself will be providing you with good base recipes for items. Remember that you can reverse engineer anything you create to get a fraction of it's materials back as well as a chance to discover a more 'advanced' version of the item. You can do this up to 'purple' level-item. (i.e. you take a green item you just crafted, R/E it, and you may learn a blue recipe, craft the blue, R/E it and you may learn the 'top' recipe, purple).

Hope it helps. For the record, I went with Archa & UT and didn't have much of a problem crafting with Synthweaving.

Thank you, I was not aware of the what the colors meant.

Is there a guide to what the colours and prefix's mean?

Is there a guide to what the colours and prefix's mean?

Items and Equipment - Color Coding here. Basically the same as WoW.

As for the pre-fixes, it's a bit early to tell. I suggest your keep an eye on Torhead and DarthHaterDB, but you can judge for yourself :

Since I play a Sith Warrior - Juggernaut (Tank), I need items with +STR, +END and +Defense Rating.

For me, crafted items with the "Redoubt" prefix, which give +defense rating, are preferable.

For a DPS, the "Overkill" prefix, which adds +power (I suppose that translates to attack power) are optimal. I can't say about the rest of the prefixes, especially what is desirable for sages etc. since I did not focus on crafting light armor during the beta.

My advice is keep R/Eing a simple green item (say, bracers, which are fairly cheap) until you learn 3-4 variations, check which prefix suits you best, and aim for that when crafting.

I was lucky and learned the "Redoubt" variation of a chestpiece on the second R/E, so there was no need to further break it down and learn another variation.

Remember, Synthweaving is the creation of armor for Force users only, and only armor, not modifications/upgrades.

Hope this helped !