Just WHAT is the problem with thermal regulators

Karkais

I made a slicer alt in order to provide my synthweaver with the purple mats for high-level augments, but the plan hasn't been working very well. Thermal regulators seem next to impossible to get. My alt is only lvl 44 and only has access to 4 companions, one of which has slicing critical bonus, but I have gotten the maximum +crafting critical bonus from legacy and the affections are nearly maxed; Yet thermal regulator rewards seem absurdly rare. I am talking 8-10 times all 4 companions doing slicing missions and getting maybe 2-4 thermal regulators in one success rare. Is there something I am missing, are these bugged or what is the problem? I haven't had this much trouble with any of my other 3 professions I have maxed and their gathering skills. These stupid thermal regulators are doing my head in.

Please tell me I have overlooked something or this is bugged..

Well for one thing only the bountiful and rich missions can give you thermals, so it's a waste of time to run the other two. The bountiful mission will give you 2 on a crit, and the rich will give you 4. That's the best you can do unless you also run lockbox missions for discoveries.

Well for one thing only the bountiful and rich missions can give you thermals, so it's a waste of time to run the other two. The bountiful mission will give you 2 on a crit, and the rich will give you 4. That's the best you can do unless you also run lockbox missions for discoveries.

This.

And I hate to say it (because it is completely anecdotal), but in my experience running a healthy mix of missions generates better results - I do not relog/change areas to get the missions I want (if I am going to be changing areas anyway I'll take advantage of it but I do change areas just to change the random list of missions). Yes, I specifically seek out the Bountiful and Rich Sliced Parts and UT metals missions, but if they are not there, I send my companions to do other things (like crafting, gift missions, or other materials).

Doing this, when I do get to run the missions I want, it just seems like I crit a lot more than what many post here. Just this past weekend, I ran 20 UWT metals missions and I got seven crits; and I ran another 15 Sliced Part missions and got five crits; and ran 15 Slicing lockbox missions, and got four crits. Not mass quantities by any stretch, but significantly better than the 20%-28% "average."

(snip) all 4 companions doing slicing missions (snip)

Thermal regs only drop from 2 of the standard missions: "Watching the Watchers" and "Unsliceable?" You can only have one of any mission running at a time. So 2 companions are all you really need.

i'm ok with slicing missions..just be sure to send the crit companion on the mission with the highest value (more less 3.2k>3.8k) and you can always buy slicing missions discoveries on gtn.

I want a ship droid item that gives him slicing crit!

Purple crafting components are only obtained from Bountiful and Rich missions if you're not using a 450 crew skill mission. Using a companion with no bonus to the crew skill, Bountiful will yield 2 purples on a crit and Rich will yield 4 purples. 450 crew skill missions will yield 6 purple components however those missions can also crit and yield 8 purples, so make sure to use a companion with full affection and a bonus to crit on the mission you use.

The crit chance is 10% for orange missions and 15% for all others. A companion with full affection gains another 5% crit chance on top of its bonus, if it has one, where the number chance to crit is the percentage (i.e. +2 crit chance = 2% crit chance). Example, a companion at full affection with a +2 chance to crit on a 450 crew skill mission will be: 10 + 5 + 2 = 17% chance to crit.

I personally gain around 20 Thermal Regulators in about 8 hours of crew skill missions using 4 characters with Slicing.

Don't get your hopes up. And even if it were to happen, it would probably be only 1% (what HK gets). The best +crit to slicing is 2%.

HK-51 has a 5% efficiency on missions and 1% critical on CRAFTING crewskill. So no, HK will not provide you better results than any other companion (with the same affection) on slicing (or any other non-crafting skill.)

I have Slicing on almost every toon, 10 or so, and I relog quite a bit when the person I play with has another smoke-break, the results... Ye they're not great. But even now Thermals are 21k on my server, that's about 1/20 (rich) missions that need to crit for profit. I only run the Rich ones and prioritize companions with a critical such as Scorpio and T7, they seem to crit more as they should, but 2% is very minor. Math-wise Bountiful won't result in enough criticals for me to break even now the prices dropped.

HK-51 has a 5% efficiency on missions and 1% critical on CRAFTING crewskill. So no, HK will not provide you better results than any other companion (with the same affection) on slicing (or any other non-crafting skill.)

I have Slicing on almost every toon, 10 or so, and I relog quite a bit when the person I play with has another smoke-break, the results... Ye they're not great. But even now Thermals are 21k on my server, that's about 1/20 (rich) missions that need to crit for profit. I only run the Rich ones and prioritize companions with a critical such as Scorpio and T7, they seem to crit more as they should, but 2% is very minor. Math-wise Bountiful won't result in enough criticals for me to break even now the prices dropped.

You missed the point. My point was that even if BW added a ship droid "upgrade" that had slicing crit on it it would probably be a +1%...just like HK.

But even now Thermals are 21k on my server, that's about 1/20 (rich) missions that need to crit for profit.

I don't know about you but I am getting some what more than a 5% (1/20) crit rate.

4 Thermal Regs on a crit. Sold at 21K each. 84K total.

divided by 20 runs.

That's 4,200 credits gross for each rich mission at 5% crit rate. It does not cost 4K to run a missio, you crit at least twice that much and then there is always trash component returns that can be sold to a vendor at the very least -- wich is what I do since the market is continuously flooded with more than it can use.

For what it's worth, running Watching the Watchdogs (at the better 20% base crit) will not add any significat time spent to sending out crew on missions, will LOWER the cost to acquire by 750 credits each (double crit rate for half the return is a wash but don't forget it has a lower cost) and the credits earned per hour will increase by 50% or more.

For me personally I have figured that it will no longer be worth my time when the price reaches 12,500 credits or less.

I really don’t see myself as barely scrapping by with a 20K per Thermal Regulator market price.