Is Resolve Working As Intended?

Darth_Eclipses

If it is, I couldn't tell.

It mainly becomes apparent in Huttball, which quickly dissolves into a huge cc-fest the likes of which the MMO world has never seen or will see again.

I've never noticed it actually work for me and just wondering if others have for them?

If it is or isn't working as intended, I think it'd be a boon for the community to know for various reasons.

The way resolve is working right is: If you are hit with an effect that causes you to lose control of your character (stun, incapacitate, etc), you immediately get a full resolve bar. Roots,slows, knockbacks and pulls fill your resolve bar much more slowly. However, if your resolve bar is full, then you are immune to all forms of CC, including knockbacks, pulls, roots, and slows.

From my experience, CC seems fine. Any time I got bursted down during a stun, I probably could have l2played and popped a survivability CD before they threw the CC. Once healers get their dispels, CC will be even less of an issue.

There you go again, expecting people to not roll damage dealers. :rolleyes:

Can't dispel/cleanse stun. Only snare and roots.

To the OP:

The resolve system spawned thousands of complaint threads during the beta. It doesn't seem to really factor into any situations where it would actually alter the course of a fight. It doesn't activate during encounters where getting stun-locked won't kill you and during encounters where being stun-locked is instant death you can't survive long enough for resolve to be a factor.

Thus, a lot of us don't even see the point of it. It seems like a fairly useless mechanic and we haven't been told as to if it is working as intended or not. For something that was specifically hyped about the combat mechanics of SWToR, it's pretty underwhelming.

Welcome to Star Wars: The CC'ed Republic.

The way resolve is working right is: If you are hit with an effect that causes you to lose control of your character (stun, incapacitate, etc), you immediately get a full resolve bar. Roots,slows, knockbacks and pulls fill your resolve bar much more slowly. However, if your resolve bar is full, then you are immune to all forms of CC, including knockbacks, pulls, roots, and slows.

I don't know if they have changed it, there are no patch notes indicating that they have. Unless they have you're information is inaccurate.

Resolve fills from incapacitating (read: can't move) abilities applied to your character (stun, root and mez). For each second of incapacitation applied to your character 1/8th of your resolve bar fills. Thus a 4 second stun fills your resolve bar to 50%.

Slows, snares and knockbacks do not increase your resolve bar.

• When your resolve bar is full, you are immune to any NEW stun, root or mez being applied to you for 8 seconds.
  • When your bar fills, it does not break the current stun/mez you are under.
  • A full resolve bar doesn't make you immune to knockbacks, pulls or slows*.

*This last part changed multiple times during the beta. At the end of the last beta build you were able to KB/Pull/Snare someone with a full resolve bar, a few weeks before that you were not. I don't know if it was a bug or intended and I don't know the current state (hopefully I will tomorrow!).

Edited by getdownsb

It works fine. I'm not sure how you die in one stun, but ok. I admit people's level of bad never fails to amaze me.

The only 'bad' thing about Resolve is all the noobs firing off their CC mindlessly so when anyone competent needs to stop the enemy ball carrier from scoring in Huttball, you can't, because he/she has 8s of immunity. :p

It works fine. I'm not sure how you die in one stun, but ok. I admit people's level of bad never fails to amaze me.

The only 'bad' thing about Resolve is all the noobs firing off their CC mindlessly so when anyone competent needs to stop the enemy ball carrier from scoring in Huttball, you can't, because he/she has 8s of immunity. :p

A L50 assassin/concealment/marauder in PvP gear can kill a person inside of 4 seconds fairly easily unless someone is healing them and/or they are a tank. In a 2v1 situation this becomes automatic nearly 100% of the time when a burst class is involved. They open on you, stun, you break, other player stuns and you're dead before you can get out of it. Should 2v1 be instant death nearly 100% of the time at endgame? Because if the players are even slightly competent this is the case unless there is a significant gear discrepancy.

Can't dispel/cleanse stun. Only snare and roots.

Is this confirmed in the current build? If you look at spell details on torhead, BH stun is applied as Tech effect. Unless there is built in dispel immunity, I'm pretty sure it can be dispelled. Haven't tested this of course, so any confirmation would be appreciated.

Resolve fills from incapacitating (read: can't move) abilities applied to your character (stun, root and mez). For each second of incapacitation applied to your character 1/8th of your resolve bar fills. Thus a 4 second stun fills your resolve bar to 50%.

Slows, snares and knockbacks do not increase your resolve bar.

From this current build, 8 second incapacitates (Whirldwind) and 4 second stuns (Cryo Grenade) will give you a full resolve bar. I've tested this on multiple occasions in Warzones. Roots and slows don't seem to add resolve at all, but proc slows seem to stop applying after 3 applications. For example, the 2 second slow from Sweltering Heat stops working after it's been applied 3 times. However, there is no resolve change on the target.

To the OP: A more elegant way of working with resolve would be to simply change it to a more traditional (WoW) form of diminishing returns. If it is agreed that 8 seconds should be the most you can be CCed at a time, then you can do the following:

- The more resolve you have, the lower the duration of any CC applied on you.

- An 8 second stun/incapacitate would give you 100% resolve.

- A root (can't move, but can still use abilities) would apply half the resolve of a stun (8 second root = 50% resolve).

- A slow would apply 25% of the resolve of a stun (8 second slow = 25% resolve)

Is this confirmed in the current build? If you look at spell details on torhead, BH stun is applied as Tech effect. Unless there is built in dispel immunity, I'm pretty sure it can be dispelled. Haven't tested this of course, so any confirmation would be appreciated.

Unless they've changed something since the beta. You couldn't cleanse a stun from someone even if you had the Sorcerer buff which says it will remove all movement impairing effects. As to the rest, that would be different then the beta and it sounds like resolve got a little buff. I'll stop talking until I actually get in game :p

Unless they've changed something since the beta. You couldn't cleanse a stun from someone even if you had the Sorcerer buff which says it will remove all movement impairing effects. As to the rest, that would be different then the beta and it sounds like resolve got a little buff. I'll stop talking until I actually get in game :p

Not to be picky, but I don't believe stun is a movement impairing debuff is it? I thought it was considered a "loss of control of your character"debuff?

In the current builds, the dispels actually say "Remove 2 Tech or Physical effects from the target" and can be talented to include "mental abilities." When you look at the ability effects on torhead, each stun/incapacitate is categorized as either tech, physical, or mental. Again, haven't tested to see if it actually works, but it looks like it should on paper.

Resolve is a very very horrible implemanted solution to CC-chains. IMO it needs diminishing returns.

Essencely its the same as saying hey if ur alive for 5mins with 10 guys beating on you you automatically one shot them all and win. It doesn't actually stop CC chains and its far from it the majority of the time your get CC'ed out and die LONG before resolve kicks in and stops/solves anything.

So many times with 2-3 people chain CCing me with a healer spam healing me and resolve didn't even kick in in time to let me do anything.

Resolve is worthless.

CC break is worthless in a game where every class has multiple forms of CC, with many on a 60sec or less CD.

"You would've died anyway" is a cop out. Really? There was nothing any class could've done in the span of 6 seconds to avoid dying? I'd recommend reading up on the skills in this game.

A L50 assassin/concealment/marauder in PvP gear can kill a person inside of 4 seconds fairly easily unless someone is healing them and/or they are a tank.

Impossible.

You can maybe burst someone down in 8 seconds if you get really lucky with crits, but 4 seconds is flat out impossible.

The CC is not that bad. You might get chain CC'd once a match tops.

Most eveyone has 1 4sec stun on 1min. cooldown, and an ability that break it on a 2min. cooldown.

SO that equals

2stun(/2min) - 1break(/2min) = 1 4sec stun per person every 2mins played

KNockbacks and roots are not that big of a problem. Classes that need to be close have better slows than ranged classes do, and plenty of ways to get out of snares. But you have to USE your abilities!

The Flashbombs are the only slightly overpowered CC, but imo Smug/Agents trade a lot of survivability to get that extra insta CC, so its fair really.

Whirlwind is seldom used, and is interruptable.

Bottomline:

If your getting chain CC'd, its because you over extended yourself into the enemy line with no allies close by. So umm...you deserve your fate.

Bottomline:

If your getting chain CC'd, its because you over extended yourself into the enemy line with no allies close by. So umm...you deserve your fate.

The point is, you 'trinket' (remove) the first 4 sec stun, then you eat another full 4 sec stun and die in that one. In other games that second stun would be only 2 seconds because of diminishing returns and you could survive.

The resolve system could be much better than a diminishing return system IF they implement it properly. The bar should fill up based on time spent in a cc and break the second it gets to full. Any type of stun should increase the bar quicker than roots and abilities that break on damage. So a 4 second stun would increase the resolve bar to 75% (so about 19% of the bar per second) and then another 4 second stun would only last 2 seconds (because it breaks when the bar gets to 100%). Using your CC-break should temporarily fill the resolve bar to full and then dissipate by 33% over 3 seconds. So it would break whatever CC you're currently in and then each following CC will be slightly shorter so people can't put you into another full cc the split second you break the previous one.

This would be the best system ever implemented in any MMO.

Edited by SeanPoe

The CC is not that bad. You might get chain CC'd once a match tops.

Most eveyone has 1 4sec stun on 1min. cooldown, and an ability that break it on a 2min. cooldown.

SO that equals

2stun(/2min) - 1break(/2min) = 1 4sec stun per person every 2mins played

KNockbacks and roots are not that big of a problem. Classes that need to be close have better slows than ranged classes do, and plenty of ways to get out of snares. But you have to USE your abilities!

The Flashbombs are the only slightly overpowered CC, but imo Smug/Agents trade a lot of survivability to get that extra insta CC, so its fair really.

Whirlwind is seldom used, and is interruptable.

Bottomline:

As a Jedi Guardian who is surrounded by 4-6 Sith Inquisitors at all times, I can say that getting chain CC'd happens very, very frequently. I actually never really paid much attention to CC until I went melee. It's a whole different ballgame.

You don't build resolve if you use CC breaker, cause you weren't CC'd very long so the resolve didn't build obviously.

And its not a 1 CC fills the bar system anyway, unless its one of the 8sec CCs which break on dmg and rarely go the duration.

Edit: Where are you guys pulling some of these statements from...This isn't what ever game you played previously.

Edited by Varcan

As a Jedi Guardian who is surrounded by 4-6 Sith Inquisitors at all times, I can say that getting chain CC'd happens very, very frequently. I actually never really paid much attention to CC until I went melee. It's a whole different ballgame.

I play melee. This thread is making mountains out of mole hills. And I play Republic, and do agree most Empire teams have 4-6 Sorcs. If you're used to range, then maybe its the difference thats bothering you as you got used to casting abilities unbothered. Maybe ranged is just your thing.

Fyi, probably shouldn't use your charge to enter battle, its better to save to get back on target once they inevitably use their kncokback.

Jumping in quickly leaving your allies behind is never a good idea anyway...Not sayin you enter combat with charge but most JKs do, and its a huge mistake.

Edited by Varcan

You don't build resolve if you use CC breaker, cause you weren't CC'd very long so the resolve didn't build obviously.

And its not a 1 CC fills the bar system anyway, unless its one of the 8sec CCs which break on dmg and rarely go the duration.

Edit: Where are you guys pulling some of these statements from...This isn't what ever game you played previously.

My statement was just my own recommendation on how they could make it better. The current system is terrible, especially how you can be CC-ed for full right after using your CC-break.

Current known Resolve behavior:

1) If you lose complete control of your character (ie stun/incapacitate), you immediately get a full resolve bar. You get a full resolve bar even if you break the CC immediately.

2) Knockbacks and pulls are confirmed to add resolve. A knockback from a Inquisitor adds 50% resolve.

3) I still don't know if roots/slows add resolve. I'll test this and let you guys know.

In the current builds, the dispels actually say "Remove 2 Tech or Physical effects from the target" and can be talented to include "mental abilities." When you look at the ability effects on torhead, each stun/incapacitate is categorized as either tech, physical, or mental. Again, haven't tested to see if it actually works, but it looks like it should on paper.

It read the same during the beta. It only took off snares, debuffs and dots.

Impossible.

You can maybe burst someone down in 8 seconds if you get really lucky with crits, but 4 seconds is flat out impossible.

Then I experienced, witnessed and did the impossible many times over during the beta.

Hiddenstrike: 3k > Stun > Lacerate 4.2k > Lacerate 4.2k.

Dead or so close to it that the next move will kill you.

Impossible? Ok, maybe you need 5 seconds.

Where are you pulling your statements form, because they're all wrong. Resolve is applied when you receive the stun, using your cc break does not impact resolve in any way. One second of stun = 1/8th of your resolve bar.

Edited by getdownsb