Why SWTOR is not successfull

geschmonz

Well, i think there are some things bioware did wrong, but the most interesting part is focusing the blood of online games: the casual gamers.

You did not add a raid finder, because hardcore gamers didnt like it. You did not add a good dungeon finder at start, because hardcore gamers didnt like it.

You are listening to the forums way too much which are being crowded mainly by nolifers, who would like the game for themself and noone else. You targeted the complete wrong audience from the start.

Today i am going to cancel my subscription. And i dont think i will ever return, as your politics in this game and your targets are just quite wrong.

I'm sorry what?

The days of old school mmos are gone. Most players are the casual crowd as such Bioware wanted to target them which for the most is the correct thing to do in this climate of gaming. For this reason am not sure what you mean when you say they should not have targeted them. Also they may not have added the GF in the beginning but at least we did get in the end doesn't that count for something?

Listening to the forums too much? Really? So listening to the player base through their offical channels is considered a determinate to you?

Now I agree to the politics thing to a extent. However, I still believe that with the upcoming expansion and the revenue generated by the CM the game will improve. That does not mean I am blind to the faults, Classes too powerful, stability bugs etc. Yet in spite of all that I am still enjoying myself.

But at this very moment (not sure about the future) the game is far from a failure.

I am kind of a hardcore casual gamer, if you please.

I don't like the speed tanking in most recent flashpoints, avoiding every single enemy that can possibly be avoided (that doesn't mean I won't play along). I don't like the systematic approach you need in Operations, using only a tiny fraction of your abilities to overcome a well known enemy with well trained routines. Challenges I really enjoy is really soloing the dailies on Belsavis by not leaving any enemy alive or doing a difficult heroic 4 with one role - say the healer - missing, the team adapting to the situation and use all their abilities, even those they usually would not, to make up for it.

I've done my share of raiding in a raiding guild, trained, improved, learned how things are done. But ultimately didn't come to enjoy that kind of play.

That said: I don't think it really makes sense to play an Operation with a pick up group. Operations are designed in a way that it requires coordination, responsibility, complete understanding of the situation up in front, and leaders who know the weakness of their players and push them the right way. It's simply not a casual thing, it requires dedication, preparation and integrating into raiding guild.

Of course it might be possible to steam roll the Eternity Vault or Karraga's Palace with seriously overgeared characters - as long as you get the Pylons figured out without team speak, Ventrilo or Mumble.

If you're a casual gamer the play style intended by Bioware is levelling the eight classes and maybe do exploration stuff - find all the datachrons, uncover all maps, things like that. Operations are meant for hardcore gamers who approach the game entirely different.

Makeb is something that is made for casual gamers, the hardcore gamers sure don't like the five extra levels.

Edited by Rabenschwinge

Wrong, it is successful, as many people play it and will continue to do so, as your leaving or have left already, then your just one player whom folk won't miss, just play the game and enjoy the ride, it's STARWARS!!, all other mmo's are copies of what's been before , dungeon master, elves, dwarves, warriors magicians etc, we get to play with concussion missiles, lasers, light sabres, what's not to like, bring on 2.0. Cannae wait.

Well, i think there are some things bioware did wrong, but the most interesting part is focusing the blood of online games: the casual gamers.

You did not add a raid finder, because hardcore gamers didnt like it. You did not add a good dungeon finder at start, because hardcore gamers didnt like it.

You are listening to the forums way too much which are being crowded mainly by nolifers, who would like the game for themself and noone else. You targeted the complete wrong audience from the start.

Today i am going to cancel my subscription. And i dont think i will ever return, as your politics in this game and your targets are just quite wrong.

Whats with this "casual gamer" thing people are on..sheesh.

Unless you get Paid to play video games full time or have no life outside of video games and do nothing all day BUT play video games..

I have bad news for you OP..

Your Casual like the rest of us. :rolleyes:

and until playing video games pays my mortgage, puts food on the table, gas in my tank, pays for my insurance policies, taxes,etc etc etc or at the very least pays for the internet connection i use to play it with..then I will always be "casual" ..

( note: i am NOT aiming the "no life" comment to those with any physical or other difficulties that they have no control over and their enjoyment and contact with others is Via video games because their situations may keep them housebound)

Edited by CrazyCanukk
added note for clarification

Ok, swtor might not exactly be succesfull, but the reasons you list definedtly isn´t why. Listening to your comunity can only be a good thing. Catering to casuals is a good thing too.

Main reason swtor isn´t as succesfull as it could have been imo.

1. The planets feel sterile. Mobs feel close to lifeless. Some planets just have too many exaustion zones. And the 2 factions have seperate planets for the first many levels, and the shared planets have seperate questing areas for imp/rep so it´s rare to see a player of the oposite faction. (mostly hurts ´world pvp on pvp servers ofc.)

2. It´s too easy to get gear. Also, once you have your armor FP´s (hard mode ofc) gets too easy. Imo hardmode should be scaled for columi gear and story mode should drop what hard mode drops now and be scaled for tioneese. Then you would get columi gear in storymode (of last boss like in HM today) and hard mode all bosses should drop the same level gear.

Having the last boss in all FP drop considerably better gear than the rest of the bosses is just a bad idea. When people got decent gear they only need drops from last boss and skip the rest if possible. Skipping content is imo just bad design. Why waste time on making content that all groups just bypass.

3. Alternative "game" reputation grinds have just been added, and it´s ok i guess, but imo it should have been there from the start. It´s just a bit anoying to have to get back to Voss and do the same groupquests you´ve allready done on multiple chars and now have to do them again if you want Voss rep.

Also achievements and minigames. Some bargames and other stuff to do while idling in cantinas.

Atm there´s only 1 FP that´s fun to do for thoose who have a bit of skill and dont do OP´s or PvP. Grinding daly quests for marks is just as boring as dooing the same quest over and over. I do them probablly once pr. week for the weekly, maybe a bit more while in queue for daily FP.

4. BUGS. Especially during the startup. Ability delays, random dc's, classquests bugging and overall realy bad engine performance. Loads of people just got fed up with the bugs after a couple of months and left swtor. It´s alot better today, but still in most FP you will have at least one random dc. Some of them could be fake dc´s ofc. but the huge majority is just random.

I'm sorry, who are you in the gaming industry?

What facts are you basing your conclusion of "SWTOR is failing" on?

You think MMOs shouldn't listen to their subscribers, since they are the only ones who can post here?

You're cancelling your subscription? Why do I feel like this move will only improve the community?

Thank you in advance for your prompt response to my questions.

Swtor is not successful because EA forced Bio-ware to release the 4 months before the game was done. And that is why people who made it to lv. 50 in the first 4 months quit due to lac of end game content Edited by Brandoarth

Swtor is not successful because EA forced Bio-ware to release the 4 months before the game was done. And that is why people who made it to lv. 50 in the first 4 months quit due to lac of end game content

I am pretty sure that the game at this moment in time is doing fine considering the revenue made from the CM and the slow increase of subs. My guess is, populations have stablized and most people are enjoying themselves. Also on your question of endgame content, not everyone are raiders and some people enjoy pvp and making alts so yeah maybe in the beginning but now there is plenty of endgame content both pve and pvp.

... Um, SWTOR caters the casual gamer. It'd be stupid if it didn't, and I'm a "hardcore" player saying this.

1. The planets feel sterile.

I really wish the planets at least had night and day. Though it would be awesome if you left foot prints in the snow/sand, or the grass moved as you went through it just like the water does. These little things really give games life, but I understand why they're not (or at least seemly not) on the list of things to add. :(

Edited by Radzkie

casuals are the issue here, a casual game means it doesnt really need much content because casuals play 1 or 2 hours per day... or maybe log in for a warzone then log off. am i wrong here? Now put a player that has more free time lets say 4 to 5 hours per day, doesnt matter why or how, he will beat the game and reach end game super fast. And then he realises that the end game is... well what end game? Raids that are made for casual gaming , pretty easy, and 5 warzones.

im not blamming anyone here, but it is how it is. Games and MMOs At the moment are made for casuals, and the crowd that is hardcore or plays abit more is simply disregarded. The Old school MMOs were the other way around thats why those had so much content and it took ages to get anywhere.

And that is why developers stick to the WoW format.

Edited by xxIncubixx

this game needs better places for players to congregate. fleet sucks, it's just a big boring ring and everyone just squats on top of the pvp vendor. I want a more engaging scene to interact with when I'm waiting for a WZ queue to pop

I am pretty sure that the game at this moment in time is doing fine considering the revenue made from the CM and the slow increase of subs.

Are there solid, official numbers on the subscriber and turnover development of SW:TOR? (It's not just the subscribers after all, but also the money spent to buy cartel coins)

It was my impression, while SW:TOR was less successful than EA hoped it would be after the blazing start, it's still the second most successful MMO in existence...

Wrong, it is successful, as many people play it and will continue to do so, as your leaving or have left already, then your just one player whom folk won't miss, just play the game and enjoy the ride, it's STARWARS!!, all other mmo's are copies of what's been before , dungeon master, elves, dwarves, warriors magicians etc, we get to play with concussion missiles, lasers, light sabres, what's not to like, bring on 2.0. Cannae wait.

Cannot agree more with this guy.

OP,

"successful" is a relative term.

WoW is the king of the hill of MMOs. At its peak WoW had more subscriptions than most other MMOs combined. If you measure success based on a WoW lens no MMO will ever be successful again because NO MMO will ever match WoW's appeal at its peak.

On the other hand, if you look at SWTOR through the lens of every other MMO in existence, it has been VERY successful for the simple fact that it now has a stable player base and is profitable for the developer to keep the servers going and develop new content for it.

Just because it does not cater to your sensibilities does not make the game unsuccessful.

Are there solid, official numbers on the subscriber and turnover development of SW:TOR? (It's not just the subscribers after all, but also the money spent to buy cartel coins)

It was my impression, while SW:TOR was less successful than EA hoped it would be after the blazing start, it's still the second most successful MMO in existence...

Hit up google. More and more people are going from f2p to preferred, to subscribers month after month.

I only wish they would add more star wars looking armors/cloth than Mass Fail looking armor.

Not sure who is designing those armors and who is approving them but It needs to go IMO.

I am not going to complain about thier marketing stratage since I am not the one who is paying for their over head cost but please ...... make the game look more like star wars ... I am pretty sure majority of people play swtor only because it has star wars graphic.