Help! Armor advice needed!

Danoldrepub

Ok, so I get a toon from the starter world to the first world with only the armor that you get from the starter world (plus the armor boght from Korriban commendations)

So I ask in general chat what I shoudl do about armor - adaptive or regular stated and the huge response is adaptive which I can understand - you can make it better as you get better right?

So then I ask if it is worth it to get a entire suit of adaptive armor fromt eh cartel such as the Sith Raider Armor suit (all pieces adaptive) and a few people are like NO WAY DUDE! Just get it from the Galactic market! I looked at the market and DANG! EXPENSIVE!

So my question - at lvl 12ish just get a cartel market suit and wear it until lvl 50 as long as I udgrade the mods? Anyone else do this?

Thanks!

So my question - at lvl 12ish just get a cartel market suit and wear it until lvl 50 as long as I udgrade the mods? Anyone else do this?

Thanks!

My advice is to not worry so much about it. If all you want is gear that is good enough to level in, then quest rewards and random drops will be more than sufficient. Run flashpoints and you will get all the moddable gear you could want.

That is unless you REALLY care how your character looks. If you want a specific look for your character then chances are the cartel shop or the GTM will be the places to go to get the appearance you are looking for.

Completing quests will also give you adaptive armour if you want to save the CC for something else. Failing that get social one (basically do any grouped content) and buy social gear from the cantina for both yourself and your companion. That will give you adaptive armour until you make enough money that you can buy things a la carte from the gtn rather than subsidizing the blatant cash grab.

Completing quests will also give you adaptive armour if you want to save the CC for something else. Failing that get social one (basically do any grouped content) and buy social gear from the cantina for both yourself and your companion. That will give you adaptive armour until you make enough money that you can buy things a la carte from the gtn rather than subsidizing the blatant cash grab.

Social armor is not adaptive. It is usually light armor that is worthless for a medium or heavy armor user. Some quests give orange armor for your class as a reward though.

The advantage of adaptive armor is that it doesn't matter if you are a light/medium/heavy armor user, the armor will 'adept' in armor rating for your class.

Social armor is not adaptive. It is usually light armor that is worthless for a medium or heavy armor user. Some quests give orange armor for your class as a reward though.

The advantage of adaptive armor is that it doesn't matter if you are a light/medium/heavy armor user, the armor will 'adept' in armor rating for your class.

All social gear has been adaptive since 1.3 when they introduced adaptive gear.

http://www.swtor.com/blog/crew-skills-and-items-game-update-1.3

Edited by GoldenHornet

Meh. Me - I just bought mine off the cartel market.

Ppl complain about the 'blatant cash grab' - but the fact is, game is F2P - they have to make $ somewhere, and the stuff on there is actually pretty good looking.

Besides - the majority of the stuff on GTN is cartel market stuff anyway :p - so what's the difference? You can find items that came from drops - but

1) they look like crap usually - unless they are purples ... and those are $$$$$

2) they are usually just as expensive as the CM items, if not more - see #1.

Up to you really - buy and wear what you want - it's your Character, your game, and your money either way you go.

Edited by Akiviri

I wear what drops or what I can get using commendations until L25 or so. Then I start switching to orange gear that LOOKS GOOD to me. Usually by L32 I am all orange gear on my main char and some of my comps. Leave belts and wrist pieces to the end, they are hard to find and too expensive.

Orange gear is common drop for many heroics so slowly but surely you can get all the pieces. And with the use of "Unify Colors" it doesn't look too bad.

The only reason to get Cartel or GTN is LOOKS. If you really have to have that one particular look, then you might as well save the credits and go buy it.

My recommendation : research online the look you want (google is your friend). Once you have an idea of the look, you can hunt down specific pieces and get the outfit you feel looks best on you.

So then I ask if it is worth it to get a entire suit of adaptive armor fromt eh cartel such as the Sith Raider Armor suit (all pieces adaptive) and a few people are like NO WAY DUDE! Just get it from the Galactic market! I looked at the market and DANG! EXPENSIVE!

I think you may be confusing buying adaptive on the GTN (galactic trade network) with buying social (adaptive) from the social vendor. Social gear is very affordable. On the starter planet you need a social rank of 1 to equip the social gear sold there but that is easy enough to get.

On coruscant, the social vendor is near other vendors by the senate tower. On Dromund Kaas the social vendor is in the cantina.

Social gear is very good if you want to do orange modify-able setup from the start. It is very affordable and you get a whole setup right away. I did this with my sage and Jedi Knight, trying to stay away from the brown robes. The female version I used elegant (yes, ran around battlefields looking very elegant) minus the hat, it is just ridiculous. And for my jedi knight I wanted pants, not a robe.

Then, later in the game I got them better (looks wise) stuff.

Really, understand that all that adaptive does is get you around the heavy/medium/light restrictions. So if you can only wear light and all the light choices suck, then look at adaptive...

The female version I used elegant (yes, ran around battlefields looking very elegant) minus the hat, it is just ridiculous.

I presume you mean "show head slot" option unchecked but you still have the hat equipped.

I force Kaliyo (operative companion) to wear that hat (and all the social 1 gear) because it pisses her off to look so elegant.

Edited by funkiestj