Light Side Sith Inquisitor?

Rabenschwinge

I am playing a light side sith inquisitor and wondered how other of you handle that. The idea is that she's not really acting out of defiance but out of a natural affinity to act calm and compassionate. She would really view herself as much dark side as it gets. The Sith Inquisitor, at least the female one, has something sly and witty about it that sometimes makes the light side options come relatively easy, sometimes it's simply the most logical solution because the dark side option would mean forfeiting valueable assets, but other times they are either dumb or dangerous. So far I have restrained myself from taking any dark side option, but it's getting harder.

I'll try to explain the situations vague, so they don't qualify as spoiler: Yesterday I freed a fellow Sith out of a prison and I wanted him to give me something particular of value to me. In the end there was no neutral option anymore. I can choose to not free him, threaten him or let him go. Two dark side and one light side. Now, considering that the guy was a self-important major jerk ("My contact mentioned that he was working with another Sith, but he didn't say it was a filthy alien") I felt really dirty after that scene.

At other times I let people go who actually may mean harm to the Empire in future. Such as a defector who proved helpful to me, but may very well work for the Republic in future. And the other choice would not have been to kill him, just force him to stay. It's one thing being nice to people if you can effort it, but another helping people to oppose the Empire.

Curiosuly alignment choices in either direction are often combined with accepting bribes, even light side ones. I don't know whether accepting a bribe to deviate from your principles is particularly light side.

So I wonder, do you light side Sith Inquisitors really always choose the light side, or click a dark side option every now and then if the light side really doesn't make any sense at all?

If you don't mind not going all light side you could consider turning off (or ignoring) the alignment prompts and picking the option that feels best (even if it's just the least bad of several bad choices).

This has been my philosophy for playing as well. LS/DS options are fun but are just secondary how my character acts, (or how I would imagine them to)

I totally see the OP's point though, I found many "good" choice were only good by comparison to the dark side options.

Killing him is bad.........but accepting a bribe is good! Where is the logic there?

I think, and this isn't just restricted to Inquisitors, but anyone, basically, who sticks entirely to choices of one side or another, probably isn't getting "into" their character very much. That's fine, of course, different people play for different reasons, and I myself don't RP, but I definitely have a personality and general attitudes in mind when I think up my characters. Sticking to one alignment or the other can actually make things feel more inconsistent than by taking the choices while completely ignoring the points you get from them. And since LS/DS doesn't really make much difference outside of equipping Relics, I don't feel it's any great waste to try and stay "in character" without worrying about such things.

i basically do the same thing. my sith inquisitor is a mostly lightsided guy with exception to killigs, hutts, or colocoids.

any incectile or slug race is "kill on site".

i'm playing a rattataki assassin and the way i would describe himwould be as a warrior philosopher. since his particular race is prone to conflict what better way to achive that result then to be a light sided sith? :o

• 2 weeks later...
And since LS/DS doesn't really make much difference outside of equipping Relic...

This is a bit painful.. the solution is to get a matrix cube early - get all the bloody datacrons on the planets you travel to. On level 50 the relics you get from daily commendations (and possibly those that drop on operations as well, I am not sure) do not have alignment restrictions. With my Sith Inquisitor I do not have that problem, of course, as opposed to my Imperial Agent.

Not being able to see the alignment point gain is certainly helpful, I finally disabled those somewhen last week. Casting away the likely reaction of your companion (at the moment I only have that big grunt) and the likely alignment gain is not quite as easy, of course.

Im lvling doing pvp/class quest and choose follow LS, but...damm, its a pain get LS points with the Sorcerer, im lv 38 atm and only have 2150 points. I get my first Relic at lv 37.

But you do have a matrix cube in one of your relic slots?

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=91505

Anyway there are some ways to "produce" light side points if needed. The diplomacy crew skill gives either light- or dark-side points on every single mission and many flashpoints (which can be repeated daily) come with dark- or light-side choices.

Never farmed the Matrix relics before, we can have 2 Matrix relics or its unique ?

It has little to do with farming, you just need to get the datacrons which have a matrix shard. It's not like it was a repeated process you have to perform over and over, you go there and take them, each is different. Personally I get all the datacrons on the planets I pass by. Some of them are useless (e.g. aim +2 on my primary character, a Jedi Shadow or the Sith Assassin this thread is about) but most have some use (presence and endurance are useful to any character, strength may be less important than willpower to a shadow or assassin, but it still increases lightsaber damage). A couple require you to be in a team, I know one on Quesh and one on Taris for which that is the case, requiring you to have three respectively two people to get them.

Paritcularly the ones on the starter planets are a simple matter of going there and taking them. Later ones require quite complicated jump-n-run stuff which can be quite frustrating at first, but once you get used to it, it comes naturally.

If you know which matrix shards you need, you might simply get those exact three shards, starting with those on the lowest level planets because those are mostly more simple to acquire. (Even though I know some on Coruscant which made me scream in frustration and others on Quesh that were simply laying about the place.)

But you can only have one.

Edited by Rabenschwinge

If you don't mind not going all light side you could consider turning off (or ignoring) the alignment prompts and picking the option that feels best (even if it's just the least bad of several bad choices).

How do you do this I mean turn off the indicators of the light side or dark side.

How do you do this I mean turn off the indicators of the light side or dark side.

Hmmm... I am currently on the wrong OS since I am at work, but I think there is a checkbox "prompt for alignment point gain" which is usually checked, you need to uncheck it. I think it's under dialogues or social or so in the settings.

It's not just Sith Inquisitors that have this problem.

There are a number of choices where the outcomes are either not consistent, illogical or just plain daft.

Many of the Dark Side choices seem to be shooting yourself in the foot (destroying valuable resources or something to cause the deaths of Empire citizens that could help fight the Republic)

There are also Light Side choices that are just as suspect.

And as a light side toon, how do you justify killing anything that moves in order to gain experience or loot?

As an example of illogical choices:

I have a Jedi Sage who has just had the option on Belsavis to:

Dark Side choice: Leave prisoners in cells to be gassed.

Light Side choice: Release the prisoners.

Taking the light side choice then means that they attack you and so you have to kill them. The outcome is the same, except that you get experience points from killing them all!

Another would be the Taris bonus series:

Do I release the Force using Nekghouls (Light Side choice) to rampage and kill in the hope that they can be retrained

or do I kill them all (Dark Side) when it's obvious that it would be better for all if they were killed rather than released.

I never had any problem when choosing LS/DS options in most of my toons, except for my inquisitor. And I'm not talking just about them being illogical, but also most of the times they're just...so stupid funny!:confused:

You see, I've read a lot about how evilly corny was a dark-side sith storyline. Then when I played a full dark-sided pure-blood juggernaut, I found it was very entertaining. Sure, there were a couple of funny lines but overall, I felt great to be a dark lord of the sith! I really enjoyed playing it.

But my inquisitor doesn't feel right at all: choosing dark options made me feel like a freaking psychopath ( -insert evil genius laugh here- ), and the light options most of the times doesn't make sense.

I don't know, but sometimes I feel the writers made the whole inquisitor storyline based on that popular character from the Stephen King's novel: "IT" the psycho killer clown. :rak_tongue:

Really? when it comes to my LS Inquisitor. (at least from a RP perspective) those Light side choices that cause harm to the empire are entirely INTENTIONAL!

You see My inquisitor has no real loyalty to the empire which is a realization that is actually supported by one of her earlier dialogue pieces. (prove myself or die) She HATES them and why wouldn't she? all evidence points to the idea that if this were an ideal world, she would be off enjoying her new found freedom. not serving the whims of the people who are responsible for her original status as a slave in the first place! (any further elaboration on that point would be a spoiler)

which ties into her comment to Andronikos that she would rather be a pirate then a sith.

Therefore it makes worlds of sense that while she accomplishes whatever tasks she is assigned, she completes them on HER OWN terms. and if in doing so her actions cause harm to the empire? Well She does not care, nay she takes PLEASURE in the knowledge that she is in the long run, doing for the empire more HARM then good!

• 4 months later...
  • Dev Post

This is a really interesting discussion! I recently got to level 50 on my LS Inquisitor and found some of the same struggles, especially as my journey made its way to planets like Corellia.

While I certainly don't want to give anything away (and holy cow is it hard!), when a dialogue option was in question, I found it fun to hunker down even more deeply into the personality I had in mind for my Sorc when she was created. Much like the OP here, compassion is natural to her. However, she also felt much as GloriousMelody describes above: The Empire has done little to earn her loyalty. Because of these two things, it rarely felt more right to give a response that was officially dark side, but those times were so beautifully fitting to her and didn't bother me at all. Also, the end of the story made me happy I'd done so!

So, I'd personally say to not allow for deviation from principles just to keep alignment "consistent", because she can always make up for it by requesting that Drellik spend some quality Mission Crew Skill time doing good.

Just my two credits.

Edited by AmberGreen

I played my Sith Inquitor over a year ago so I dont remember the entire story but I recall it was actually quite easy to play light side a lot of the dark side options would just make enemies most of which might come back for revenge later but the light side made allies after that I did my BH with one goal he was the most evil psychopath around and picked every dark side option I could, killing anyone I got the choice to that was actually much harder because many of the dark side options were just plain stupid.

This thread is just made for me.

The philosophy I have always had with my LS Sorcerer is that the Empire hasn't done much for me, so I don't see why I should care about it. Taking Lightside options on the Imperial side always feels more rewarding, because LS on the Rep side is pretty much a given.

One example from the Inquisitor story (Still my favourite class story, including the Agent) is the plotline on Alderaan. The Lightside path is a yarn of cunning political and social manipulation, ending in a fantastic ideological and physical duel with Master Organa. Don't recall all the details of the dialogue then, but something like:

He betrays Rehanna's affections again to do his duty and stop the Inquisitor from reaching the artifact of Tulak Hord. At the final showdown, he confesses that there is no room for love in a Jedi's life, and the LS Inquisitor realises they are as bad as each other. Still one of the best bits of all the class stories.

By contrast, when I took my Darkside Assassin there, I found that the DS path was just about killing everyone between you and your goal. Which was truly dull.

I take a DS choice here and there on my LS Sorc, but mainly when I've been wronged and I lose my temper, such as with Lord Cineratus and the Sith on Korriban who uncovered Kallig's Countenance. These are rare, though, and I am usually LS. The best Lightside choices are when you help people who were simply in the wrong place at the wrong time, such as Darth Skotia's Trandoshans or Mila Escalus, as someone with the Inquisitor's background can relate to them easily.

The LS and DS choices you make throughout Chapter Two seem to affect the choice you are given at the end of Chapter Three.

I went neutral here, as I had promised the ghosts their freedom (The Inquisitor knows the pain of slavery) but was reluctant to see them go. I was overjoyed that Ergast and Horak-Mul agreed to stay, despite losing Darth Andru and Ashara's ancestor, and put it down to those that stayed being the more Inquisitor-like, who would rather follow me to glory than rot in a tomb for all eternity. I would love to see them again in the future, as they now appear more like advisors or friends than servants.

So on the whole, I loved the LS story, and I get annoyed when I see the community refer to the Inquisitor as "Darth Nox" despite the way that you can play a kind of LS philosopher-Sith, with less interest in the war or the Empire than in the secrets of the Force, and get out of it a better storyline and a more interesting, less stereotypical character.

Just my thoughts.

So on the whole, I loved the LS story, and I get annoyed when I see the community refer to the Inquisitor as "Darth Nox" despite the way that you can play a kind of LS philosopher-Sith, with less interest in the war or the Empire than in the secrets of the Force, and get out of it a better storyline and a more interesting, less stereotypical character.

Just my thoughts.

I'd be happy if Darth Imperius became the Canon SI for essentially those reasons (an LS Sith would definitely break a mold). I thought LS fit a lot better primarily because of the SI's slavery background - the "When I'm in power, I'm not going to be these people!" line of thought. My LS SI made a few DS choices here and there, but for the most part my SI leaned toward the light side. There are some differences, as mine is a bit more dedicated to the Empire and the well-being of its citizens than acquiring ancient Sith history (mine would see that as a secondary activity).

Of course, I'm not holding my breath on LS SI being the canon storyline.

Edited by DAWUSS

I honestly get more pleasure out of people gasping in FP's about me not making a dark side choice than the story itself. I had no intention of following a scripted set of rules for light vs dark choices. I have from the very beginning made choices that I thought would best benefit me and my position in the Empire. No other factors came into play except the occasional betrayal that felt oh so good however for the most part I have made primarily light side choices. Edited by Scovina

I am playing a light side sith inquisitor and wondered how other of you handle that. The idea is that she's not really acting out of defiance but out of a natural affinity to act calm and compassionate. She would really view herself as much dark side as it gets. The Sith Inquisitor, at least the female one, has something sly and witty about it that sometimes makes the light side options come relatively easy, sometimes it's simply the most logical solution because the dark side option would mean forfeiting valueable assets, but other times they are either dumb or dangerous. So far I have restrained myself from taking any dark side option, but it's getting harder.

I'll try to explain the situations vague, so they don't qualify as spoiler: Yesterday I freed a fellow Sith out of a prison and I wanted him to give me something particular of value to me. In the end there was no neutral option anymore. I can choose to not free him, threaten him or let him go. Two dark side and one light side. Now, considering that the guy was a self-important major jerk ("My contact mentioned that he was working with another Sith, but he didn't say it was a filthy alien") I felt really dirty after that scene.

At other times I let people go who actually may mean harm to the Empire in future. Such as a defector who proved helpful to me, but may very well work for the Republic in future. And the other choice would not have been to kill him, just force him to stay. It's one thing being nice to people if you can effort it, but another helping people to oppose the Empire.

Curiosuly alignment choices in either direction are often combined with accepting bribes, even light side ones. I don't know whether accepting a bribe to deviate from your principles is particularly light side.

So I wonder, do you light side Sith Inquisitors really always choose the light side, or click a dark side option every now and then if the light side really doesn't make any sense at all?

Think of it as the Force guiding them to do something that seems stupid, but which will work out in the end. Jedi let the Force guide their decisions, Sith use the Force to enforce their decisions. Maybe your lightsider's just doing things Jedi-style.