Crafting skill points

natashina

One of the little things I'd like to suggest is a system to determine different ranks in crafting.

As an example, I had 31 points in Underworld Trading and I was uncertain about when I could start doing Rank 2. Perhaps next to the unavailable missions, the skill point requirement should be listed. In this case:

10-16 Skill pt 1

17-23 Skill pt 60

It would make it easier to gauge how long it would take to hit the next rank. That way I could have possibly known that it could take up to two hours to get to Rank 2. :p

Thanks for your time.

Edit: I meant the Companion Missions for things such as Diplomacy and UT, not so much for the actual crafting or gathering. Sorry for the confusion!

Edited by natashina

The game already gives you that info... in a roundabout fashion.

Underworld isn't a "crafting" skill, but Synthweaving is. And through Synth, you can look to see "I need 100 to use XYZ pattern. That pattern requires rank 2 materials. So I guess that means when my Underworld is at 100, I'll be able to get rank 2 mats."

It takes a teeny bit of thinking on your part, instead of having it spoon fed to you.

The game already gives you that info... in a roundabout fashion.

Underworld isn't a "crafting" skill, but Synthweaving is. And through Synth, you can look to see "I need 100 to use XYZ pattern. That pattern requires rank 2 materials. So I guess that means when my Underworld is at 100, I'll be able to get rank 2 mats."

I was figuring it would be good for new players, since we'll be having so many of them.

I know that UT isn't a crafting skill per say. I guess I should have said Companion missions, as in UT, TH, Investigation, ect. Not so much with the actual crafting and gathering skills (such as Synth with Arch) And with those kinds of missions in particular, it would help if a player could know exactly what the skill points needed for the ranks.

It takes a teeny bit of thinking on your part, instead of having it spoon fed to you.

I hope you mean "you" in the general fashion, not personally to me.

It was just a suggestion, and if it isn't a good one, so be it. :) I'm sure the suggestion box is full of great ideas as well as mediocre ones.

Edited by natashina

Yeah, sorry...

Wasn't trying to come across as an attack.

Just more that, we don't need the game to be "too dumb" for new players.

Already, they simplified mechanics, and people still get confused.

A single stat for each class, yet I constantly find people with the wrong gear. PUGing through a FP, and having people Need on something just because they saw some green numbers. Lol

Its a noble effort, trying to help, but sometimes the players need to learn what's what. =)

No problem, it happens sometimes. :) I take no offense.

Too dumb is one thing, but there are people 100% brand new out there that do come into MMOs that have never played one. As much as I love ToR, a lot of this game kinda expects you to know about certain basic MMO things already. So I guess there is a fine line. Perhaps I should see if there is a thread that I can come into that endorses a more complete tutorial. I know if I'd never played an MMO before, I'd be a little lost and confused in ToR.

As far as bad gear in PUGs go, I've seen seasoned players do it as well as newcomers. You'll have people doing it no matter what, it's true. Plus, I'm one of those weirdos that still like to help and give advice in MMOs. I think I'm a dying breed.

I still think that this would help and not just for new players. True, I could figure it out the hard way by spending literally an hour or two hoping that the next skill point that ended in 5 or 0 would lead to the next rank. I would prefer if they had the numbers clearly listed.

And don't worry, this isn't a "omg u put this ins nows!" type post. I'll still play and enjoy it and I wouldn't quit over such a silly thing. I do think that this is one area where players shouldn't have to sink or swim.

Edited by natashina

Yeah, sorry...

Wasn't trying to come across as an attack.

Just more that, we don't need the game to be "too dumb" for new players.

Already, they simplified mechanics, and people still get confused.

A single stat for each class, yet I constantly find people with the wrong gear. PUGing through a FP, and having people Need on something just because they saw some green numbers. Lol

Its a noble effort, trying to help, but sometimes the players need to learn what's what. =)

it actually took me 2 months to realize that in this game the main 2 stats govern everything you do. I am fairly new to MMO's having only tried a few others.

2 months is a long time to be wasting raising your aim stat in order to hit better with a jedi knight. Go ahead, luagh, it's what I did for a month or so. I was tired of missing enemies only a single level above me.

A better explanation might suffice. At the beginning of the game they say that each class has one main stat and one secondary stat, but they fail to emphasize it governs everything you do.