Best Voice Acting?

Jerav

I know this thread has already been made maybe several times, but i couldn't find them so i made my own :D. Since i've played most of the class/gender combos to mid level range (still haven't really played male IA, female troop, fem smuggler or fem bounty hunter), i wanted to give my two cents about which class i think was voiced the best. (feel free to debate me):

Sith Warrior:

Male 7

I don't really have any complaints about this one, though I wish he'd get into the evil bits a little bit more, felt like he was holding back at times

Female 8

She was devilishly evil and playing her completely darkside made her come across as a complete psycho. But she also does well with lightside, sounding like a sith on the path to redemption

Sith Inquisitor:

Male 8

Loved him. He really distinguishes between darkside and lightside really well. He just sounds like what I'd imagine a sith to sound like. He also is pretty damn funny in some choice spots

Female 6

She was alright, nothing really to write home about

Bounty Hunter

Male 5

I tried, i really did. I know people say he gets better when you get a helmet but god. I can appreciate what he's trying to do but he sounds kinda like Christian Bale's batman. He sounds like he's trying too hard to be manly and as a result some of his lines are a little off or lack emotion.

Imperial Agent

Female 10

Jo Wyatt was by far my favorite and she fit the role perfectly. She's a great voice actress and i loved her in DA 2. All the lines she delivered were just spot on. She really gave the sense of a ****** female james bond.

Jedi Knight

Male 6

He was alright. He has a tendency to speak a little monotone when you're going light side which i guess kinda fits the image of a humble jedi who is at peace. If you play him more jovial and cocky he gets a little better though

Female 4

I didn't really like her, She sounded too school girl for my tastes. I had to play her darkside so she would stop sounding so nauseatingly upbeat and cheerful but even then she sounded like she was too sweet to be someone who could kill a person in cold blood.

Jedi Consular

Male 2

Wow Nolan North, you really disappointed me on this one. Terrible, just awful.

Female 7

I know a lot of people don't like her but i thought she did a good job of sounding like the wise experienced jedi. And she can do darkside pretty decently too

Smuggler

Male 8

He was pretty damn entertaining i must say and I think he fit the role pretty well. it's just too bad his story sucks after the prologue.

Trooper

Male 9

He was really good. Really sold me on the soldier/stalwart defender of the republic image and he brought a lot of depth to the role. Telling a woman that her husband died really pulled at my heart strings and i could almost see the voice actor struggling to keep the stoic persona even though it was painful.

And those are my thoughts. And before you ask, yes I have way too much free time.

Edited by Jerav

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's how I would rank the ones I've used. Top is the favorite, bottom = least favorite.

Sith Warrior(Male) - Alistair from Dragon Age/Dragon Age 2. Fits well with lightside, hilarious as darkside. The lines suit the voice very well.

Sith Inquisitor(Male) - Even when lightside, still bestows a bit of a chill to his voice/demeanor. It's not who I would pick for a voice actor(personally, I would choose Simon Templeman(Kain fromLegacy of Kain or Loghain Mac-Tir from Dragon Age), or Frank Welker(Malebolgia from Spawn, Emperor Krulos from Dino Riders(yeah, I'm that old to remember the cartoon and the toys)).

Bounty Hunter(Female) - Fits nicely with the same voice actress who does Female Shepard from Mass Effect games.

Imperial Agent(Female) - Just has that cloak and dagger aura come forth in her lines, regardless of her alignment.

Bounty Hunter(Male) - In my opinion, if you're going to use the same voice actor who did Oghren in the Dragon Age games, I would've used that style and sounding for the Bounty Hunter, instead of having it feel too much like Spike from Cowboy Bebop(which would've suited the Smuggler better).

Smuggler(Male) and Inquisitor(Male) were pretty good and felt very appropriate, though it does depend on how you customise your appearance.

For example, the inquisitor sounds lncredibly young and really only fits the underweight/small-fry bodytype.

Imperial agent(Female) seems nice aswell, but i haven't made it past lvl10.

Edited by namelless

for players I think female consular is one of my favorites matched with a twilek, just seems perfect to me in look/sound

As usual pretty much all the imperials are done well. Female smuggler kinda got annoying to me.

Overall though my favorite voice in the game has to be Lord Medechas on Belsavis. I just love the way he talks combined with the look.

Edited by hadoken

Female inquisitor was my favourite, she is an evil creepy psychopath i had lots of fun playing.

Female bounty hunter and smuggler are also done pretty nicely, could be cousins from the way they talk.

Both imperial agents are great, cannot really decide which one i liked more.

And the female jedi knight sounds just hawt.

Least favourite was the male bounty hunter imo, just trying to hard.

none of you played female trooper? shame on you guys

male bounty hunter - i liked him, he sounds tough and ready to start shooting on the spot

female agent - great work, i loved her work in da2 too

male sith warrior - i'm enjoying him a lot

female inquisitor - seems right for the job

im playing for the empire for now, can't say too much about the republic at this time

Bounty Hunter(Male) - In my opinion, if you're going to use the same voice actor who did Oghren in the Dragon Age games, I would've used that style and sounding for the Bounty Hunter, instead of having it feel too much like Spike from Cowboy Bebop(which would've suited the Smuggler better).

Except that Spike is a Bounty Hunter :p

It is always interesting to see what others think of the voices for each class! It can be hard to separate the lines from the voice acting itself, though.

Of the male voices:

Sith Warrior - my favorite; expressive and commanding, but not cheesy. Seems very versatile.

Jedi Knight - classic nice/good guy voice, I really liked this one. All that earnest hero talk might get old after awhile though.

Jedi Consular - not the worst but very disappointing. It sounds just plain silly with a lot of non-nice dialogue choices and is not very versatile when it comes to "working" with different character appearances. I think a lot of the problem is the dialogue itself though; in the rare times that the JC gets sarcastic/dry humor lines the voice works much better.

Of the female voices:

Sith Warrior - I can't stand this voice, she sounds like a mature-lady Disney villain (and in Sith gear? hello, Maleficent).

Smuggler - my favorite; lighthearted, sassy at times, but still nice and feminine.

Bounty Hunter - a great tough-girl voice, not really my thing but well done for what it is.

And I agree with you OP on the female agent, definitely another favorite of mine. ^^

Edited by Gwena

Best voices:

Female Sith Warrior. I loled at the post above mine complaining that she sounds mature. She and the Imperial Agent are about the only two female classes in this game that make think I'm a powerful 30 something in my prime, rather than some pasty-faced teenager.

So, yea, if it wasn't obvious, Female Agent. Best voice in the game, with female Sith Warrior a close second.

Voices I hate:

Female Consular. This is the worst voice and voice acting (the two are not one and the same) in the entire game. Yes, that means random NPCs have better voices and voice acting than her.

Female Jedi Knight. It sounds like a teenybopper. I hate teenyboppers.

Female Smuggler. Has moments of greatness, but whenever she tries to throw in some western twang, it sounds so forced and unnatural.

Female Trooper. I actually mostly adore the voice actress. My hatred for this voice comes from fatigue, since she's been a major fixture in Bioware games for the last decade. I'm sure if Bioware continues to use 'FemHawke' for the next ten years, I'll grow to hate her voice as well, regardless of how much I love it today. Plus, the female Sith Warrior is an example of how you can do a strong female voice without trying to make the character sound like a butch lesbian (not that there's anything wrong with butch lesbians). I've always felt the 'Shepard' voice was her trying too hard, which is a shame, as I think she's a great VA.

I'm fairly indifferent to the male playable character voices. None of them make my ears bleed, which is all I ask, though some of them when combined with Body Type 1 do make me lol (Male Agent, for instance).

Edited by revial

Female Trooper. I actually mostly adore the voice actress. My hatred for this voice comes from fatigue, since she's been a major fixture in Bioware games for the last decade. I'm sure if Bioware continues to use 'FemHawke' for the next ten years, I'll grow to hate her voice as well, regardless of how much I love it today. Plus, the female Sith Warrior is an example of how you can do a strong female voice without trying to make the character sound like a butch lesbian (not that there's anything wrong with butch lesbians). I've always felt the 'Shepard' voice was her trying too hard, which is a shame, as I think she's a great VA.

I think you mean FemShep, as FemHawke is done by the actress for female Imperial Agent.

Edited by hadoken

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks Female Trooper sounds off. It really sounds like someone trying to deepen their voice instead of it being natural, it's almost comedic.

Though that might be because I'm just accustomed to her as Phoenix.

I think the single best VA is the female IA, the voice and the way the lines are spoken is simply great, the female Sith Warrior is a close second, the problem I have with it is... well, it seems to "change" drastically depending on wether you give a more LS or DS option, when LS she sounds pretty "normal" but when you go DS she sounds somewhat psychotic, it's not really consistent, still very good individually though. The male IA sounds too... dull imo, too uptight, not very refined, the male SW is pretty good.

The female SI is pretty weird in the beginning, but once you get used to it (that is after a while) I really started to love it. The sarcastic/comedy lines are so perfect with the accent, it's probably the single most arrogant voice in the game and it's pretty much the same for the male counterpart though I find that rather annoying then entertaining.

For the BH... the male sounds pretty cool and ****** in the beginning but after a while this very deep raspy voice gets old and annoying and you get the urge to tell the guy to clear his goddamn throat... it doesn't sound natural when you're not playing a muscle giant who's totally DS... the female one is done pretty well, sounds a bit like a southern accent somewhat, it's a shame though that the chracter itself has some of the worst and most repetetive lines in the game though, not utilizing the voice talent completely (I've played every empire class to 50 and know some lines tend to repeat themselfs quite often, but the BH feels like she has the least amount of lines throughout the game).

For Rep classes, haven't tried many of those, but here goes.

Male JK is boring. It puts me to sleep. It makes me want to strangle bunnies because it is so incredibly dull. Female JK is better, but nowhere near as awesome as the SW counterpart. Female Trooper sounds quite alright, FemShep, check, Soldier, check and all, doesn't really go with a body type 1 though ;), for the male one I don't know, haven't heard it enough.

JC female is, for me, the best voice on rep side, male counterpart is horrible though, the Smugglers both got away quite good, nice voiceacting and great lines.

Overall it's done pretty well, but they should try to "lighten" or "darken" the voiceacting depending on your choices - hearing a JK making a threat or something like that just sounds SO off.

I think you mean FemShep, as FemHawke is done by the actress for female Imperial Agent.

I was pointing out that I used to love 'FemShep' prior to her FemShep role combined with years of hearing her in Bioware games, and showing how fatigue over constantly hearing a voice actor/actress can make me eventually hate something I love. ie: FemHawke ala the Imperial Agent, who I love today, but could easily end up hating ten years down the road if she ends up in every Bioware game between now and then. ;) So, no, it wasn't a typo. :p

Also, I have to agree with the BH. It sure seems like she uses stock lines far more than any other class.

Lastly, my favorite NPC voice is Darth Zhorrid's. It's a shame she's a Class-specific NPC (IA) that had disappointingly few lines, because I thought her voice acting was fantastic. It's hard to tell if I have heard that VA elsewhere in the game, as I kind of presume Bioware did some altering to the voice to get her to sound the way she does.

Edited by revial

Female Warrior was practically ******ic when I heard her talk. Loved it and is probably still my favorite voice actress. Female Agent and Female Smuggler are both top notch as well. I don't play male characters, so no judging them. Female Trooper is Jen Hale, which should be cool, but unfortunately, the body I made for the Trooper doesn't fit her voice as well as I like.

Sith Warrior (male) - 7/10. Very brute but has a little class to his voice.

Sith Inquisitor (male) - 8/10. All finesse and cunning. Classy, scheming Sith voice. My favorite.

Bounty Hunter (male) - 7/5. It's not bad, but gets old after Hutta.

Imperial Agent (male) - 4/10. The guy just sounds... bored. It has the scheming thing, but his lines always feel rushed. I get that it's supposed to sound "direct and to the point," but it just feels like the actor wanted to get through the day. But other lines are good; the ones where he pauses every once in awhile when a comma is used. Those would be a 7/10. Or at least a 6.5.

Jedi Knight (male) - 5/10. Too schoolboy goody-goody. And I played him as a light sided Jedi, but he just sounds like one of those annoying Jedi when he opens his mouth. Which I guess is good... I guess...

I didn't love the Consular voice at all, but after finishing the story I couldn't picture him with any other voice.

I love the Inquisitor voice and acting. He is really quite great at being sarcastic and sounds sinister at the right time.

All the voices overs are very well done. That goes for main classes and npcs.

My favorite has to be the female smuggler, very funny and engaging. It helps that my smuggler has a cheerful look and a slight grin that really fits the voice.

I know this thread has already been made maybe several times, but i couldn't find them so i made my own :D. Since i've played most of the class/gender combos to mid level range (still haven't really played male IA, female troop, fem smuggler or fem bounty hunter), i wanted to give my two cents about which class i think was voiced the best. (feel free to debate me):

So far I've played Male Jedi Knight, Female Jedi Consular, Male Trooper, Female Smuggler.

I agree, the male trooper voice acting is excellent. The female smuggler is also very good. I also agree the female consular fits the part--a wise, solemn, jedi.

I thought the male jedi Knight was just average. Something about that voice that just didn't fit right for me.

Oh, and just to add--the two worst voices I've encountered are Lord Scourge and Ako Domi. Both sound like rank amateurs.

Edited by Loseriticus

When it comes to voice acting, I have to say that all the classes are pretty good, but some, are, as you might imagine, are better than others.

Sith Inquisitor - Both male and Female voices are great here, though I'm a bit more inclined to give the edge to the male, if only because you can sound a bit scarier at times, and that he still manages to sound properly Sith-like even when going Light Side. but still, both are great.

Imperial Agent - The Female voice is unquestionably brilliant, but I must be one of the few people who actually likes the male agent voice. Sure, he sounds kind of "off" at times, and he talks quietly, but when you think about it, how else would you expect an intelligence operative who spends most of his time working a very unglamorous job to sound like? He gets in some great moments of snarking, thanks to his delivery, and when he actually overtly emotes, the previously-even voice gives way to something much more impactful.

Bounty Hunter - No major complaints here, though the male does sound a might bit too deep and raspy to be speaking like that all the time. I thought that some of his moments were great, though. Overall, though, the female voice is (even if only slightly) a bit higher quality.

Sith Warrior - Once again, both are great here. However, there seems to be a bit of a rift when it comes to voice characterization. The male is more inclined to snark and speak in this sort of smug, superior voice; while the female is more openly emotive.

Smuggler - Far and away, the best (and funniest) voice acting on the Republic side (and a strong contender for the best VAs in the entire game). Both male and female voices match their characters completely, from the flirting, to the one-liners, to the witty banter with their crews. Special mention must be made for the female smuggler voice, though, which is far and away one of the most genuine-sounding and enjoyable in the entire game. Very charming, that one.

Trooper - Brian Bloom does great as the male trooper, but Jeniffer Hale as the female trooper does have some rough spots. Oh, she's still very good, make no mistake, but it just seems like she's trying to sound intentionally like Commander Shepard, and falling a bit flat. I think that, had they tried to characterize the female trooper as something else other than a Commander Shepard sound-alike (i.e. trying to develop a unique sound for her rather than the same voice of one of Hale's more famous roles), the female trooper would have come off as a better voice.

Jedi Consular - The male consular is not exactly ideal, but he fits, all the same, so long as you play light-side (his dark-side dialogue leaves something to be desired...). The female voice is much better in all regards.

Jedi Knight - Solid Snake does a good turn as the male knight, though he can come off as a bit too pious-sounding sometimes, and his range is a bit too well-controlled here for it to sound completely believable. The female knight, like her sister the femal consular, is once again much better than her male counterpart in just about all respects.

Edited by BlueSouthPike

SW - Male: I liked it. His superior sounding "noble" voice worked for me and really matched my characters looks. 8

IA - Female: What is it about her that makes her so god damn amazing? Cause she is. My favorite. 10

BH - Female: I thought she did a great job.