So, this expanded universe thing

Stealthy_Monkey

Hi guys,

Playing this game is awesome fun, and I'm really digging the story, which has never happened to me in an mmo before and am wanting to get into it a little more. I understand there's a vast library of books out there that build off the movies, but I was wondering if there are any that are, you know, actually good?

Obviously I'm not expecting a Robert Heinlein novel or anything, but to be frank, movie knockoff series aren't exactly famed for their quality writing. So would anyone out there recommend a particular book, series or author for me to try out?

Hi guys,

Playing this game is awesome fun, and I'm really digging the story, which has never happened to me in an mmo before and am wanting to get into it a little more. I understand there's a vast library of books out there that build off the movies, but I was wondering if there are any that are, you know, actually good?

Obviously I'm not expecting a Robert Heinlein novel or anything, but to be frank, movie knockoff series aren't exactly famed for their quality writing. So would anyone out there recommend a particular book, series or author for me to try out?

Yes. Read Heir to the empire and the rest of the Thrawn trilogy. If you enjoy those books I'll have further recommendations. The Thrawn Trilogy is widely regarded as the best of the EU by most fans. Chances are if you don't enjoy them there's not much in the EU you will enjoy. On the other hand if you do find it's good. Then there might be plenty in the EU that you'll enjoy.

I'm a huge Star Wars fan and have read countless star wars novels. Some are really good. Some mediocre. Some quite poor. The quality is all over the place and often depends on the author. The Thrawn trilogy takes place after return of the Jedi.

Anyway.. if you want to read more in the old republic era. You can read the Darth Bane trilogy which is a decent trilogy itself. There's also the Revan novel which takes before this game and deception. Fatal alliance is okay but Deceived is better imo. The Bane Trilogy explains how the rule of two came to be and why. It's from the viewpoint of Darth Bane.

Edited by Rhyltran

Depends what interests you within the universe. Frankly, the Thrawn Trilogy and Darth Bane Trilogy are probably the best books in the the EU. Bane takes place about 1000 years before the movies and the Thrawn campaign takes place during the OT timeline. Both were great series in my opinion are the best places to start.

Some books are utter crap but there are stellar titles out there in the EU.

Edit: Damn, beaten by a minute

Edited by ibage

The EU is hit and miss, many of the books are real good, even better than the original trilogy (Thrawn for example).

Then there are some such as the Vong war, which I don't think are horrible but they were stretched out too long.

But my favorites were the Thrawn trilogy, and where Jacen falls to the darkside.

like previously stated, many times, start with the Thrawn trilogy.

If they are to your liking, I'd also recommend the X-Wing series, which follows Wedge Antilles in all his snarky glory.

Lets see...

The Jedi Academy trilogy is good.

I liked the Centerpoint trilogy.

I liked I, Jedi, which takes place during the J A trilogy and is told from the viewpoint of my favorite jedi, Corran Horn.

If you are going to get into the current series of books, fate of the jedi, you should read Children of the Jedi. Its not the best book, but it introduces a character who is somewhat important to that series.

In the end though, anything to do with Thrawn and his creator Timothy Zahn, is always awesome. You can't go wrong with a Zahn book.

I think the EU is great, and while some of the later arcs are stretched out quite long (Yuuzhan Vong War, Legacy of the Force, and Fate of the Jedi). There is a lot of really cool stuff that happens.

As good as the Thrawn books are, however, I would have to say that my favorite series out of the entire lore, would be the Han Solo Trilogy by A.C. Crispen.

Even if you don't necessarily like the EU, or aren't familiar with anything outside of the movies, you will love those books.

just dont read the children of the jedi or any other books by that author. covaluted confusing pieces of crap. i loved the vong series, as others say all the thrawn books, legacy of the force the series after that which is still coming out now....and most of all the Darth Bane books. they were awesome. i also liked the courtship of princess leia, the trilogy where luke looks for students for the jedi academy.

Children of the Jedi is pretty hard to read. That said, the following books (Darksaber and Planet of Twilight) which continue the story are quite good. You can read Darksaber and it'll basically fill in the important details from CotJ

i loved the darksaber but i had a problem with

the pointlessness. i mean, in the end the hutt superweapon didnt even work...it seemed like a waste of time

Edited by JediKier