Is the Sith Academy mandatory?

BenKatarn

This question is primarily based on technicalities, so bear with me.

As we know, Force-Sensitives who are discovered within the boundaries of the Sith Empire are either forcefully enrolled within the Sith Academy of Korriban or are killed if they refuse to go on the path of becoming Sith; the whole "if you're not with me, then you're my enemy" thing.

But my question is, is enrolling in the academy mandatory?

Let's say a Sith (at least a Lord or a Darth) discovers a Force-Sensitive somewhere in the Galaxy. Does that Sith have to hand over this being to the academy or can they simply keep them and train them themselves from the get-go? If the former, can the Sith who discovered this Force-Sensitive still "call dibs" on that Force-Sensitive should they survive and complete the Sith Trials, or would that Sith have to compete with others interested in this acolyte? If the latter, would that Sith have to face any repercussions for going against traditions?

This essence of the question is, do all potential Sith have to be funneled through the Sith Academy or can a Sith Lord forgo all these traditions and just train an apprentice from start to finish without the interference of others?

Edited by BenKatarn

Unknown but I assume mandatory since they considered "loosening" the restrictions necessary after so many Sith were lost during the First Great Galactic War. More than likely, it was a type of filter to make sure no "weakliings" would fall through the cracks.

Presumably if you are darkside and already trained it's just a formality, but you do have to go.

Not exactly what I meant. I meant that if a Sith Lord of influence discovers a potential apprentice that has not been trained yet, if that Sith Lord has to hand that Force-Sensitive over to the academy or if they can train that person completely on their own.

But I guess mandatory is mandatory. Still, I could certainly see some Dark Lords ignore this training system.

Not exactly what I meant. I meant that if a Sith Lord of influence discovers a potential apprentice that has not been trained yet, if that Sith Lord has to hand that Force-Sensitive over to the academy or if they can train that person completely on their own.

But I guess mandatory is mandatory. Still, I could certainly see some Dark Lords ignore this training system.

It seems to be quite common that and acolyte at the academy is already the apprentice of a Sith. One appears in the Sith Inquisitor storyline.

I don't know how much training on their own is possible. There are acolytes running around on Dromund Kaas. Either they are from the Sith academy there or they are in a phase of training where they can train with their family or another master.

I think every force sensitive has to go trough the Academy in order to be officially granted to become a Sith. So even if some senior Sith discovered some force sensitive somewhere and wanted him/her for an apprentice he/she would first has to become Sith (and the only way to achieve that is surviving the Academy). Well maybe he could use him/her as a personal enforcer but then he would directly violate the law. Edited by Path-x