Cathar as a Playable Species

iamthehoyden

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remain excited....Kittens incoming!

Just had a vision of bunches of kittens running around my ship. Why can't I have kittens living on my ship?!

And I agree with you, I am excited about playable Cathar, can't wait to roll one. :D

One of the criteria of playable races is they would have to look reasonable and acceptable kissing in romance scenes. So long as that remains a crtieria I am highly doubtful that we will ever see rodians, trandoshans, or any of the more interesting alien races added as playble. Other than the cathar that would leave the nautolans, weequay, togruta, and maybe the duros as the next set of probable species to be added.

Yeah, I brought up that reason to someone who wanted to play a Jawa. You really want a romance scene with Mako as a Jawa? :D Plus you'll never get to see your own face, wear different armor, etc..

I still want to play a Jawa Sith Warrior. Just for the Epic Lulz when two unsuspecting NPCs see me for the first time....

Jedi 1: Is that a.... Jawa???

Jedi 2: Yes, and he just slaughtered an entire platoon of soldiers with a LIGHTSABER!!

Jedi 1: A RED lightsaber???

Jedi 2: Oh, man. Now he's coming this way..

Jedi 1: We are so boned... :eek:

I still want to play a Jawa Sith Warrior. Just for the Epic Lulz when two unsuspecting NPCs see me for the first time....

Jedi 2: Yes, and he just slaughtered an entire platoon of soldiers with a LIGHTSABER!!

Would love it if they put in Jawa and those little blue elephant like people we meet on Hoth. Through out the entire game I never have second thoughts about killing humans but I struggle to murder them. But I have the feeling it wil never happen.

Cat people are NOT part of classic Star Wars (classic Star Wars being the core element designs that have continuity through the universe not the OT)... they do NOT belong. People who are demanding these Thundercats are Bio fans first and Star Wars fans second.

They use EU to suit their needs and demands and use EU to slam anything else they don't agree with when it suits.

Rubbish species that don't belong. A few misguided stories early 90's when everyone was depressed from an overdose of Nirvana and Pearl Jam... Just a pity BW have drove most of the real fans off due to the mediocre average sc-fi pulp rubbish BW have spewed out on this title. The Old Derivative

Edited by Caspian_Rho

Cat people are NOT part of classic Star Wars (classic Star Wars being the core element designs that have continuity through the universe not the OT)... they do NOT belong. People who are demanding these Thundercats are Bio fans first and Star Wars fans second.

They use EU to suit their needs and demands and use EU to slam anything else they don't agree with when it suits.

Rubbish species that don't belong. A few misguided stories early 90's when everyone was depressed from an overdose of Nirvana and Pearl Jam... Just a pity BW have drove most of the real fans off due to the mediocre average sc-fi pulp rubbish BW have spewed out on this title. The Old Derivative

If you hate BiOWare so much, then just leave.

I'd have Cathar rather than half of the ludicrous species seen in Jabba's palace in RotJ.

That would almost be worth having the character never change gear, be able to speak Basic, and have to use a step stool to kiss anybody. Too funny :)

(Until then, I will cuddle Blizz and be happy :D)

I'm terribly curious...how do you even play this game??? I mean, the amount of non-classic Star Wars species, planets, etc etc etc in it is very high. If it bothers you that much...well I just have images of massive amounts of twitching going on while playing.

I guess the other thing that I don't get about "how dare BW make Cathar a playable species!" rants is this...Cathar are already IN THE GAME. They have been since it started. So if the argument is somehow that the player characters are an affront to your eyes while the npcs are perfectly fine...say what? If you were being FORCED to play a Cathar, I could see the argument, but that's absolutely not the case. If the existence of Cathar were going to legitimately throw someone into a frothing rage then they really should have done so months and months ago.

Crap, I promised myself I wasn't going to feed trolls....they just look so hungry!

I may redo my Trooper (currently Rowsdower) in fat body form and make him "Garfield."

As for the comment that Cathar aren't True Star Wars, well, thanks to Juhani, they are True Star Wars: The Old Republic. Would Wookies be nice? Yep. Would Trandoshans? Yep. But, unless those species are part of a massive expansion where the interactions are completely revamped, non-humanoids will just have to wait.

Ok, bro. Your ignorance of Star Wars is showing. The Cathar have been established in Star Wars Lore and Canon since The Holiday Special. They were one of the elements kept for use in the rest of the Star Wars universe. Even though the Holiday Special is classified as S-Canon, that just means the story itself is N-Canon. The S-Canon elements are used in C-Canon all the time.

Their first major role was in Tales of the Jedi comics, most notably the characters of Crado and Sylvar. That was LONG before BioWare put Juhani into KotOR. So before you spout hate on the Cathar and BioWare, do our research.

I'm terribly curious...how do you even play this game??? I mean, the amount of non-classic Star Wars species, planets, etc etc etc in it is very high. If it bothers you that much...well I just have images of massive amounts of twitching going on while playing.

Crap, I promised myself I wasn't going to feed trolls....they just look so hungry!

Well, you just about summed up everything I had to say to that poster - however yours came out much nicer. Mine would have possibly been removed by the mods. ;)

But seriously - if people don't like Cathar - DON'T ROLL ONE.

I am not a Togruta fan - so sue me, doesn't mean I will complain when and if they are in game - because I know a lot of people would love to play one. How about letting other people exist and enjoy what they like without stomping all over it.

Well dang, now I have gone and fed the troll too.

While not a fan of Cathar I do have a spare character slot and wil probably roll one (as long as they are free and not 1.5 mill to buy). Will I play it, probably not past level 10 but I am going to assume that Bioware will be monitoring the number of people interested in new species by the number of people creating Cathar (yeah the argument is very stupid as a lot of people who want other new species will not be the same people who wanted Cathar but I figure its how they will do it) just in the hopes that this will get new species added. Then I can scrap by Cathar and play a species I want.

I have nothing against Cathar just I dont really care to play one, still much better than Blind Humnas, green humans, pale bald humans, humans with piecrings etc so I see it as a step in the right direction.

I hope they add a new character slot for people who already have 8 characters they don't wish to change but make it Cathar only so people don't exploit it.

Also awaiting the surge of kitty-based names to come lol

I hope they add a new character slot for people who already have 8 characters they don't wish to change but make it Cathar only so people don't exploit it.

Um, exploit? Considering we are allowed to make whatever characters want (i.e. I can have 6 Warriors if that's my choice), there would be no exploit to be had if they gave us another character slot. Besides, not everyone wants to play a Cathar so what you propose is excluding those players from having another character slot to use.

:rak_02: Well then I guess BW should just redo everything and make it like the original trilogy, just to be safe and please the hard-core fans, right? Wrong cuz "classic Star Wars" is incredibly vague. Does that mean the movies and whatever lore pieces from the games, books, comics, etc. that YOU like? Or is that based on Lucas' system of determining what is canon? If it is the second then sorry, but KotOR (game AND comics), Tales of the Jedi comics, a few books, and the Star Wars: Legacy comics place Cathar firmly under C-Canon which can only be overwritten by G-canon (anything directly from the mouth of George Lucas) or T-Canon (Television Canon; so the Holiday Special and Clone Wars). If those two sources ever say Cathar aren't a real species then they aren't, but until then they ARE.

EDIT: did some digging before posting this and it turns out Cathar appeared in Star Wars Holiday Special, which I'm pretty sure is T-Canon, so only George Lucas himself can say Cathar don't belong in the Star Wars universe if we use Lucas' system for determining canon.

Edited by Ireul

EDIT: did some digging before posting this and it turns out Cathar appeared in Star Wars Holiday Special, which I'm pretty sure is T-Canon, so only George Lucas himself can say Cathar don't belong in the Star Wars universe if we use Lucas' system for determining canon.

Actually, the Holiday Special got retconned to S-Canon, since the story in it is N-Canon. It never happened. However, Chewie's family and most of the characters/races it introduced are now used in C-Canon, like the Cathar.