Renaming ALL of my characters?

Wraith_Shadow

So, i started off in Beta testing and was subbed for several months when i had to cancel do to financial problems. As the game went to a "free" to play model, i figured i'd be okay to just log in and play some story just to finish those off, but to my surprise, my characters all need to be renamed? One of which is my standard chat handle, so i can't really see anyone using that specific name for anything but sure enough, he's got the red exclaimation point as well. Is this just something to do with the whole pay to win mentality or did they just favor those who were paying when they mergered servers? I was thinking about resubbing, but if i had to rename all of my characters just because they did a poor server transfer, i'd rather not just so i don't end up being "name324!@#" as aany let alone ALL characters. It sucks that the Legacy name doesn't help to keep your names valid either but hey, when i was subbing it really didn't do anything any way lol.

Is there any way i can tell if the names are really being used or if i just need to retype them for the new merged servers? And do i have any options to help me not lose the names i've had since before launch?

Use alt code characters in replace of one of the letters in your name

I'd rather not, but at the same time, i've had these names since before launch so i'm not really sure how they were all taken let alone the chathandle one either since it's not a very common name. still though it's a good suggestion albeit a frustrating one

This thread again...

The choice on who got to keep what name was random, it was not based whether or not you had the name first.

It wasn't entirely random. I was a subscriber since launch, and got merged twice. I kept all 5 of the names I had, except for a level 1 alt I hadn't played at all. From what they've said, they considered length of play and other factors, and probably did favor active subscribers, since you don't want to risk offending someone who's still playing and might quit instead of someone who quit and might not come back.

OP, sorry dude. I wasn't in favor of the forced mergers, but they rolled out too many servers at launch. Nothing to be done about it now.

Sooooo you stopped playing the game all together and thought that your common names you had for your characters would be unique enough that no one else on any other server would have them? Is that right? Then, when you heard about all of the server merges and how it would directly affect names, you still decided to let yours idle in a non-existent state. Correct still?

Sorry to tell you this then, but it is your loss. Change your names, change some letters around, or next time create character with non-common names and be a bit unique. I had to rename one character of mine of which I figured would have been the only one. At that, I only changed one letter. I even kept my legacy name and guild name. Why, because I decided not to go with the most common name that everyone would be running around with and decided to be a bit creative. Oh yeah, I was there since closed beta back in June of last year.

You had no sub and were not paying when the servers were merged. What did you expect? That they let you block the names forever only because you used to be a customer, once upon a time? Grow up.

Likewise, one could argue that those who were not willing to pre-order for a chance to claim their name(s) should cut their losses and grow up. See how that works? Guild Wars 2 nailed it by making names region specific, not server specific. That way, if I go back to Guild Wars 2 three months from now and they've merged servers, I won't have to worry about having to rename a character I spent hundreds of hours on.

Edited by MilleniumSolo

Likewise, one could argue that those who were not willing to pre-order for a chance to claim their name(s) should cut their losses and grow up. See how that works? Guild Wars 2 nailed it by making names region specific, not server specific. That way, if I go back to Guild Wars 2 three months from now and they've merged servers, I won't have to worry about having to rename a character I spent hundreds of hours on.

QQ

Sucks to be you I guess......

It's quite annoying, but the system they (ultimately) used was fair. Frankly, I wish I hadn't voluntarily transferred my characters, as the forced transfer took into account whether or not the account was active, the level of the character and time played to "score" a character and matched that against any conflicts.

BW screwed up their naming system from the very beginning. They had no clue and the mergers made it worse with people losing their names and getting mad about it. GW2 does it better, TSW does it better too. In TSW, names are unique accross all dimensions of the game, but only the middle name is "unique", you can choose your first name and surname (like our Legacy name) freely, even if someone else has the same name. Edited by Lord_Ravenhurst

I was speaking in general. Sorry to disappoint you, but I only played SWTOR for about a week after it launched. I never really developed any sort of attachment to my characters. But please, by all means, continue being a complete assh*le.

I just think it's funny how people always say " X Game is so superior, so much better " and yet here they are hanging out in the game they say they despise..... GW2 is not the great success people try to claim it is, hell only a few months after they release it there sending out emails offering people free trials... seems ArenaNet is getting desperate quick...

I just think it's funny how people always say " X Game is so superior, so much better " and yet here they are hanging out in the game they say they despise..... GW2 is not the great success people try to claim it is, hell only a few months after they release it there sending out emails offering people free trials... seems ArenaNet is getting desperate quick...

Are you referring to me? If so, do you have issues with reading comprehension by any chance? You're grabbing conclusions out of THIN AIR. I drew one comparison (that's not even gameplay related) to a recent MMO. Did I once, once claim that Guild Wars 2 (or any other game for that matter) is superior to SWTOR? No. Did I state that I despise SWTOR? No. In fact, I re-subbed to this game about a week ago. All I said was that I personally feel that ANet handled their character naming system better than EA/BioWare. That's all.

Edited by MilleniumSolo

Is there any way i can tell if the names are really being used or if i just need to retype them for the new merged servers? And do i have any options to help me not lose the names i've had since before launch?

If they were available for use, then you wouldn't have to rename them.

I've used the same screen name since the mid 90s and it's not allowed in TOR. I finally came up with another one I liked, and lost it in the first server merge, which was voluntary. But then came the forced server merge and I also wish I hadn't changed servers so I would have at least had a chance to keep the name.

Sure, it's frustrating. But no more so than for the people that tried to use your names when you were an inactive account.

Likewise, one could argue that those who were not willing to pre-order for a chance to claim their name(s) should cut their losses and grow up. See how that works?

No. I don't see how that works. The guy quitted the game and was not paying his sub when the decisions about the toons' names were made, so he's basically not entitled to anything, in particular not if it acts against the interests of somebody who was a paying customer at that time.

It's not true that they gave any priority to length of play or subscriptions when choosing who got to keep the name. In several cases I know of, a person kept the name who was low level, hadn't played in a long time, and wasn't subscribed, while the person with the same name who had been subscribed since pre-order and was higher level and more recently played as well had to change it. In at least one case I personally had to change one character's name twice, my first one to get his legacy, and I'd been subscribed since a week after beta; and he had to change when I did the voluntary transfer and then again when they merged more people onto that server.

I'm pretty sure it was entirely random and those who kept most of their names just got lucky.

NONE of my names I had to change were in any way related to star wars lore, at least not that I know of. I had to change "Myles" "Daman" "Cryss" "Marsh" "Nil" "Lethe" and several others -- Daman and Lethe being fairly high level and played since the first week of the game... I don't care for the alt letters so I mostly just changed or added a letter (Daman became Daiman, Cryss became Tryss, Nil became Nilu) or just gave them a completely different name with the same basic theme (Lethe became Nepenthe).

It's not true that they gave any priority to length of play or subscriptions when choosing who got to keep the name. In several cases I know of, a person kept the name who was low level, hadn't played in a long time, and wasn't subscribed, while the person with the same name who had been subscribed since pre-order and was higher level and more recently played as well had to change it. In at least one case I personally had to change one character's name twice, my first one to get his legacy, and I'd been subscribed since a week after beta; and he had to change when I did the voluntary transfer and then again when they merged more people onto that server.

I'm pretty sure it was entirely random and those who kept most of their names just got lucky.

NONE of my names I had to change were in any way related to star wars lore, at least not that I know of. I had to change "Myles" "Daman" "Cryss" "Marsh" "Nil" "Lethe" and several others -- Daman and Lethe being fairly high level and played since the first week of the game... I don't care for the alt letters so I mostly just changed or added a letter (Daman became Daiman, Cryss became Tryss, Nil became Nilu) or just gave them a completely different name with the same basic theme (Lethe became Nepenthe).

Orly?

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=533664

They claimed that, yep, but I see zero evidence of it being true. As in, I had to rename the same character twice who I'd been playing since the beginning of the game, and found several examples of people in my guild who had to rename level 50 characters when someone in the low teens kept the name.