I Want More Mandos!

Bounty_

At this point int the star wars EU, and a couple hundred years befor is the most fleshed out mandalorian story arc it has, Besides The Republic commando arc, And hondo karr. I mean you have 3500 years worth of story hell i even get the option to be a mando. id like to see that fleshed out more in the bounty hunters story arc. the mand'alor himself even says your his heir.

No-one really cares about Mandos except fanboys, which is the only reason Mandalorian characters are forced into the narrative as is (see Boring Cadera and Akaavi Spar).

I get the distinct feeling BioWare understands just how awful and ****** Traviss' writing is and are treading the line between openly mocking Mandalorian fanboys and giving them a little bit of the awful trash that they like (Best Bounty Hunter option in the game is telling the Mandalore to go **** himself and watch him get all nerd-rage on you while the rest of the Big Five mock him behind his back).

No-one really cares about Mandos except fanboys, which is the only reason Mandalorian characters are forced into the narrative as is (see Boring Cadera and Akaavi Spar).

I get the distinct feeling BioWare understands just how awful and ****** Traviss' writing is and are treading the line between openly mocking Mandalorian fanboys and giving them a little bit of the awful trash that they like (Best Bounty Hunter option in the game is telling the Mandalore to go **** himself and watch him get all nerd-rage on you while the rest of the Big Five mock him behind his back).

this. fandalorian tears are so sweet.

I don't get all the mando love from one character in cool armor with two lines before getting knocked into the sarlac by a blind han solo.

Hmm. So if Traviss' books are so awful, why are you in the minority about this, whereas I can link you to a whole website of fans of the novels? All she did was base the Mandalorian culture on the ancient Spartans, so what? Are the Spartans Mary Sues? Hmm?

I understand some people take Mandalorian fanboying to the extreme. Not me - Jedi are awesome, Sith are great, and so are Mandalorians. It's just another culture in Star Wars - why do people get so upset when there's a non-Jedi, non-Sith culture that gets focused on? Is it the Jedi killing? It's been said once, it'll be said again - the Force makes the Jedi powerful, not kriffing gods. If the Jedi were as powerful as you suggest, then Grand Master Zym would not have been killed by Braden (a non-Mandalorian, BTW!), Jace Malcom couldn't have beat the stuffing out of Malgus, and despite all that, the Mandalorians are never portrayed as invincible/immortal. Revan killed the shabla leader of the Mandalorians, Jango Fett's entire army got slaughtered by Jedi (so much for Jedi killing, huh?), and Ulic Qel-Droma curb-stomped Mandalore. Great fighters =/= Mary Sues.

And to the beskar'gam. Traviss was not the one who invented it - that was as far back as Tales of the Jedi, when the Mandalorians were a race of Crusaders working for Ulic Qel-Droma. Not exactly demi-gods or Mary Sues, are they? So one culture has stronger armor than others. The Voss have above-average rates of Force sensitivity among their people, all the Korunnai are Force users, and the Echani proved to be possibly the best martial artists in the galaxy. The Mandos are only nomad warriors with one advantage of an ore that can be mined on their planet. Besides, usually 1 Mandalorian does not match 1 Jedi. It takes 3 or 4 Mandalorians to beat a Jedi.

There, I just threw all your reasons for them being Mary Sues out the window. Care to counter?

Yup it was quite fun rejecting mandalore and seeing him throw a fit and the rest of the great hunt winners telling you that you are awesome for rejecting him/not sucking up to him.

Personally the mando nonsense during chapter 1 and the revanite questline annoyed my BH.

Plus fett was killed by a blind man and the way Han killed him he did not even mean it lol. When I finally watched episode 3-6 I was wondering why fett had so many fans.

Edited by lokdron

Instead of more Mandos I'd like to see more Rebels. People who can't stand the Empire's oppression and take up arms to fight for their Freedom. We already have this on Balmorra and Corellia and, to a lesser extend, in disorganized slave rebellions inside the Empire, Revanites and a tiny bit of it in Malgus' "New Empire". IMO Balmorra and Corellia feel closest to the Original Star Wars movies because of this. (And, needless to say, Rebels play a much bigger role than Mandalorians in movies and EU.)

With the Empire weakened by the war, Malgus and other Sith powerplays, rebellion could spread on its worlds.

About the Mandos... well, maybe let Bounty Hunters choose if they want to work for the Mandos for honor or whatever or the Hutts for big cash.

needless to say, Rebels play a much bigger role than Mandalorians in movies and EU.

The "Rebel Alliance" from the movie era are represented in TOR by the Republic (It's officially known as the "Alliance to Restore the Republic" after all) more than by the local insurgents seen on Balmorra and Corellia.

Yup it was quite fun rejecting mandalore and seeing him throw a fit and the rest of the great hunt winners telling you that you are awesome for rejecting him/not sucking up to him.

Personally the mando nonsense during chapter 1 and the revanite questline annoyed my BH.

Plus fett was killed by a blind man and the way Han killed him he did not even mean it lol. When I finally watched episode 3-6 I was wondering why fett had so many fans.

Boba Fett doesnt die, he emerges from the sarlaccs stomach, continues the bounty hunting, even fights with luke ´skywalker against an invading alien species, trains one of Han Solos kids and becomes Mandalore.....

Why does most ppl think that the Saga ends after chapter 6?

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Boba_Fett

Edited by Pexter

Boba Fett doesnt die, he emerges from the sarlaccs stomach, continues the bounty hunting, even fights with luke ´skywalker against an invading alien species, trains one of Han Solos kids and becomes Mandalore.....

Why does most ppl think that the Saga ends after chapter 6?

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Boba_Fett

Because in g-canon boba is dead. George lucas even says his dies in the pit yes he is alive in the books but that is not a part of g-canon.

Edited by lokdron

As of March of 2011 all books, movies comics, Tv series are all part of canon ther eis no more G-canon any more. SO yes he lives and doesnt die, and george said that in the freaking 80's when the movie came out.

The post was ment to be a discussion not a lets argue why others hate them. I like the mandalorians i would like to see more happen with them in the bounty hunter story line if you chose to be one.

And as pointed out befor Karen Travis did make the mandalorians up, the were there in canon long befor she started writing about them. And have since been in almost all star wars related material, Kotor, SWTFU I,II, SWTOR, even the Clone Wars.

So it seems people do like them if they continue to make content telling their story.

300 Spartans faced down the thousands of soldiers in the Persian armies at Thermopylae. While they lost, the Greeks ended up winning the war later
300 spartans that comanded 17000 Greeks, with the best naivy at the time an Athenian fleet at sea blocking the rest of the Persian naval forces so they couldnt get flanked. And they were able to delay a very larger force.

Just dont belive the movies I say.

The mandalorians are as much interesting as the jedi or the sith or anhy other culture out therein sw universe, i like them but im not a fanatic about them either.

Edited by Spartanik

300 spartans that comanded 17000 Greeks, with the best naivy at the time an Athenian fleet at sea blocking the rest of the Persian naval forces so they couldnt get flanked. And they were able to delay a very larger force.

Just dont belive the movies I say.

The mandalorians are as much interesting as the jedi or the sith or anhy other culture out therein sw universe, i like them but im not a fanatic about them either.

Tbh I like the Taungs more then the newer Mandalorians. My BH went to be a Mando, just out of how much I like the Taungs. The Mandos now(and funny enough my BH) can go space themselves for all I care, they should have just kept the Taungs as the Mandos.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

Meh, Mandalorians can be fun in small doses, but they can get really one dimensional really quickly. It's the same trap all those generic "noble warrior" cultures seem to fall into. Everything becomes about the same single facet of the culture and everyone in it becomes a caricature.

Honor, Blood, Honor, worthy foe, blah blah revenge blah, honor! :p

There a good group to have around in smaller bits though. Someone through training and tools that can realistically hold their own against the force users.

There a good group to have around in smaller bits though. Someone through training and tools that can realistically hold their own against the force users.

Highlighted the important part. 99.9% of the time, Mandalorians (or for that matter, ANY non-Force using 'elites') defeating Force users is handled terribly.

Yes, I can believe that Jango Fett can score a lucky kill on a distracted Jedi, or hold his own against Obi-Wan long enough to escape. But him allegedly killing Jedi with his bare hands? That's f*cking retarded.

Edited by HellbirdIV

Highlighted the important part. 99.9% of the time, Mandalorians (or for that matter, ANY non-Force using 'elites') defeating Force users is handled terribly.

Yes, I can believe that Jango Fett can score a lucky kill on a distracted Jedi, or hold his own against Obi-Wan long enough to escape. But him allegedly killing Jedi with his bare hands? That's f*cking retarded.

Well he wasn't really holding his own against Obi-Wan, I mean ya he knocked him off his feet and dragged him around. But what did he really do? I mean...I guess you can look at it like that, though can agree on him killing jedi with his bare hands that is just really complete PIS and CIS.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

Mandalorians aren't Mary Sues because of their fighting prowess, they're Mary Sues because in Karen Travis' writing they can do no wrong. They are without any character flaws, they're always shown to be right and superior to their enemies and the Jedi, their culture is portrayed as perfect, etc.

A Mary Sue is not an invincible character, but rather a character who is shown to have no flaws. They may die from time to time, but as a culture and society, Karen Travis attempts to portray them as perfect, which is aggravating to those of us not wearing Mando-tinted goggles.