Languages, how does everyone understand them all?

CJ_SAX_MAN

How does everyone in this era understand all those different languages that are out there? I don't understand how every person could be expected to learn those many languages. Any lore references on this? I mean especially ones like droid beeping, and wookie-growling.

My favorite part is when my character is talking to an npc that is speaking in another language. They obviously both understand each other, but choose to speak different languages in conversation. Silly :rolleyes:

I can kind of understand that cause if you study just listening to languages, you can learn to understand them much easier than to actually speak them. And as some alien languages would be impossible to speak of other races, Galactic Basic (English) is impossible to speak for some other races.

But still way too many languages to learn typically

Edited by CJ_SAX_MAN

Mini-translators on their person. Don't know how they work, but that's that. Mass Effect mentioned it once.

Star Trek did it first with the "Universal Translator".

Some, like Han Solo, can understand Shyriiwook and Rodian without the need for a translator.

Star Trek did it first with the "Universal Translator".

Some, like Han Solo, can understand Shyriiwook and Rodian without the need for a translator.

I suppose that being a Smuggler, he will deal with all kinds of outlaws and people like that, many of whom will be Wookiees and Rodians. Not to mention, his copilot was a Wookiee, so I am sure he learned a bit from Chewbacca.

I have only heard a few in-game.

Basic (You know, English. :p)

Huttese

Shyriiwook

Droidese

Rodian?

Overall, there are two main languages spoken and some small regional/special dialects in the game.

Edited by Guildrum

How does everyone in this era understand all those different languages that are out there? I don't understand how every person could be expected to learn those many languages. Any lore references on this? I mean especially ones like droid beeping, and wookie-growling.

One word . . . .

babblefish

Actually not everyone does, just every Player. There are not so many languages, the most spoken after basic is Huttese. Im Pretty sure the most Individuals who live in the SW Universum speak, or does understand them both. With Rhodian, Wookies, Ithorians and Droids its a bit more complex but the Player Charackter (Sith, Jedi, Elite Soldier, Smuggler, Bountyhunter and Agents) arent average people at all, so they maybe just figured out that it would be useful to learn them.

But i will never understand why my Smuggler speaks and understands the language of the Rakata...

I mean DA***?

Mini-translators on their person. Don't know how they work, but that's that. Mass Effect mentioned it once.

Something like that doesnt exist in the SW Universe

Something like that doesnt exist in the SW Universe

Actually it does, its a unwieldy hand held device...

on the now-non-canon origin story for Greedo it mentions he using one of those to translate rodian to Basic when he first faces Han Solo, then Han dismisses it saying he understands perfect rodian..

Jabba also makes a point to speak only on huttese (Says so on the RoTJ novelization), despite being able to speak Ubese, Basic and Rodian.

Han's speaking of Shryywook is based on a story where he has actually been raised by wookiees (not sure if canon, too lazy to look it up on Wookieepedia)

but yea, the amount of NPCs speaking Huttese on this game boggles me, even more-so when these characters are Jedi and Sith, Sith more-so cause of their xenophobia.

well since all our characters are heros ie the best of the best its logical to assume they may have been trained in these languages.

Agents- obvious that for infiltration purposes they have studied a wide varity of languages

Smuggler-they have been everywhere so have picked up on these

Bh-same for smuggler

Tropper-probbaly studied them at academy training

jedi and sith-the jedi makes padawans learn languages of other races the sith probbaly do as well.

but yea, the amount of NPCs speaking Huttese on this game boggles me, even more-so when these characters are Jedi and Sith, Sith more-so cause of their xenophobia.

ah but other than sith and republic hutt space is the second biggest regon and its allready established in connon that many outer rim worlds speak it as there main rather than basic due to hutts being the main lets say "goverment" there.

as for sith knowing it even thougth they are xeionphobic, they did take slaves and other force sensatives from concoured worlds

I suppose that being a Smuggler, he will deal with all kinds of outlaws and people like that, many of whom will be Wookiees and Rodians. Not to mention, his copilot was a Wookiee, so I am sure he learned a bit from Chewbacca.

I have only heard a few in-game.

Basic (You know, English. :p)

Huttese

Shyriiwook

Droidese

Rodian?

Overall, there are two main languages spoken and some small regional/special dialects in the game.

Mando'a was said at least once, during the Imperial Tatooine bonus series. The guy says "Kandosii!" At least that's what I think he said.

Also, there's the Rakata language.

Not everyone does.

During the Republic side World Quest line on Tatooine, when you're in the Gamorian base, there's a Gamorian that says something in Gamorian (Gamorianese?) and then the Cerka guy on the holo says "I have no idea what you just said...."

Mando'a was said at least once, during the Imperial Tatooine bonus series. The guy says "Kandosii!" At least that's what I think he said.

Also, there's the Rakata language.

There's a whole lot of Mando'a if you're a Bounty Hunter (naturally). ;D

There's also Dosha (Trandoshan), which I suppose is pretty uncommon throughout the game, Jawaese, the Ugnaught language, and whatever it is that Khem Val speaks, off the top of my head. :p And we understand all of it! Except, amusingly, the Mando'a, which is never actually translated. (Everyone who speaks Mando'a in-game mostly speaks Basic.)

There's a whole lot of Mando'a if you're a Bounty Hunter (naturally). ;D

There's also Dosha (Trandoshan), which I suppose is pretty uncommon throughout the game, Jawaese, the Ugnaught language, and whatever it is that Khem Val speaks, off the top of my head. :p And we understand all of it! Except, amusingly, the Mando'a, which is never actually translated. (Everyone who speaks Mando'a in-game mostly speaks Basic.)

I believe Khem Val is speaking his native Dashade tongue, and the Inquisitor understands him through the Force. Khem is not only Force resistant, but he's also an instinctive practitioner, and uses his Force Devour ability in combat.

I like the translator idea, that totally makes sense.

And as for player characters being extraordinary, that is quite possible too, not to mention supposedly force users can use the force to understand languages (and in Revan's case, allow some unknown alien species to understand your langauge, basic in that case)